BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
budski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SSII E92 DCT ZCP

Video: BE 1500PSI Prosumer Pressure Washer with MTM Foam Cannon

Alright, so I tried out the BE 1500 psi Prosumer 1.6gpm pressure washer with the foam cannon.

Overall, this pressure washer doesn't have the pressure/GPM as a gas unit but is perfect for washing a car.

The unit has a slight hesitation when you pull the trigger but it seems like most, if not all, electric pressure washers experience this. The amount of noise from the BE 1500psi is substantially less than the $99 Greenworks 1500psi unit and much higher quality. If I wanted, I could use this in the middle of the night and not worry about waking the neighbors.

The unit was $360 but uses an induction motor, which is much quieter than the standard universal motor, and utilizes a rebuild-able metal triplex pump.

What is odd though, the circuit breaker that I'm using is a 15 amp and doesn't pop while in use but if I let it sit there idly, it'll pop. To mitigate this, with success, I turn the unit off when it'll be sitting there for more than a few moments. Kind of annoying but if you have a 20 amp breaker, you'll be fine.

Pros:
High Quality
Whisper Quiet
Adequate Pressure (1500psi)
Small (18" x 10")
Integrated Adjustable Pressure Nozzle

Cons:
25ft hose is about 5ft too short to wash a car without re-positioning unit
Low 1.6 GPM (takes longer to rinse than a standard hose)
No wheels (purchased a utility cart from Ace Hardware that I also use to organize my supplies)

[u2b]http://youtu.be/-y74Kz8CTs4[/u2b]

ESS VT2 625 | Brembo 380mm F/R | Stack Gauges | Meisterschaft GT | KW V3 | Perf Steering Wheel | Challenge GT Lip | Perf CF Spoiler | CF Mirror Caps

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Wow that's super quiet. I feel bad using my electric pressure washer in the morning. Thanks for the review
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
budski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Wow that's super quiet. I feel bad using my electric pressure washer in the morning. Thanks for the review
No problem. I was doing hardcore research on electric pressure washers and it seems like most crap out after a year or two because they use a crappy pump. I did go to a professional pressure washer store and asked them why that was. The gentlemen explained to me that water just sits inside of the pump from the first time you use it till it eventually goes kaput. This seems okay but as we all know water freezes and when it turns to ice it'll expand and potentially crack the internal components of the pressure washer. His recommendation was to use a "pump saver" during the winter or when you know you won't be using it for a while.

There are three different types of pumps: triplex plunger>axial cam>wobble

Then there are two different types of motors: induction>universal

So my recommendation is to find an electric pressure washer with an axial cam or triplex pump matched with an induction motor.

AR Blue seems to make some nice PWs but don't like the idea of proprietary hoses/guns.

This BE 1500 psi unit is the cheapest triplex/induction that I could find but I am super impressed by it. If you want to spend a bit more, I'd go with the cam spray 1450 psi prosumer unit. It does have slightly less pressure and requires 20amps vs the 13.2 but it does kick out 2.0 gpm. The 25% more water volume would be nice to get more foam and allow for a quicker rinse. The main upside of the cam spray is that it's built in the good ole USA and uses a name brand pump (General Pump) however it cost $699 vs the $359 I paid for the BE.

If any of you decide to go with the BE unit, the biggest pain was taking it out of the box. For some reason, they pack it with cardboard confetti and it's a mess. It did protect the unit but a few pieces got lodged inside of the gun and clogged it. I literally had to put water in my mouth and blow into the nozzle to dislodge the pieces of cardboard.

Overall, I am very happy with the switch from gas to electric. A gas unit from Home Depot or Lowes would give better results, for less money, but the overall convenience and ease of use an electric is pretty sweet for washing cars.

ESS VT2 625 | Brembo 380mm F/R | Stack Gauges | Meisterschaft GT | KW V3 | Perf Steering Wheel | Challenge GT Lip | Perf CF Spoiler | CF Mirror Caps

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
you have more than enough foam on the car. the real concern people should have is coverage and the cleaning ability of the soap you are using. Whether it looks like shaving cream or not is irrelevant to the idea of a foam wash.

Here are some pictures of my 1.5psi 1.2gpm pressure washer with foam cannon. 2oz of honeydew snowfoam and 1oz of auto finesse avalanche

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
budski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The foam certainly did the job. After washing, I checked under the grit guard and there was minimal sediment.

What is interesting is I was able to foam two cars with one fill of the foam canon with the gas unit but only one with the electric. BUT... with the gas, I did use hot water inside of the MTM unit and that could definitely be the reason.

Yes, I do agree that more foam doesn't equate to a cleaner car. I think that as long as the soap sticks for a few moments then runs off, it's doing its job of ridding loose dirt.

Despite the benefits of using a PW or foam canon, people passing by will still think you're nuts

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by budski View Post
The foam certainly did the job. After washing, I checked under the grit guard and there was minimal sediment.

What is interesting is I was able to foam two cars with one fill of the foam canon with the gas unit but only one with the electric. BUT... with the gas, I did use hot water inside of the MTM unit and that could definitely be the reason.

Yes, I do agree that more foam doesn't equate to a cleaner car. I think that as long as the soap sticks for a few moments then runs off, it's doing its job of ridding loose dirt.

Despite the benefits of using a PW or foam canon, people passing by will still think you're nuts
It's too fun to care
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

What are you guys using in your foam cannons?

I have a Kranzle with the MTM foam cannon. I've been using Adam's shampoo. Seems fine, but curious if I might get a little more mileage out of something specifically intended for a foam cannon.

Recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #8
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
What are you guys using in your foam cannons?

I have a Kranzle with the MTM foam cannon. I've been using Adam's shampoo. Seems fine, but curious if I might get a little more mileage out of something specifically intended for a foam cannon.

Recommendations?
I love honeydew snow foam. I've heard maxi suds is great too. IMO you should use something that isn't too expensive by the gallon in the foam cannon. Your choice but get a gallon of something else to use instead of the Adams
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
budski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I've only used the chemical guys honeydew snow foam. In the video, I put about four squirts of the stuff inside of the cannon ~3-4oz.

According to the CG website, the honeydew won't strip sealants/waxes which is nice.

"Honeydew Snow Foam is the perfect choice for your weekly maintenance wash. The gentle cleaning power won’t remove wax so you know your car is always protected."

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
I love honeydew snow foam. I've heard maxi suds is great too. IMO you should use something that isn't too expensive by the gallon in the foam cannon. Your choice but get a gallon of something else to use instead of the Adams
Quote:
Originally Posted by budski View Post
I've only used the chemical guys honeydew snow foam. In the video, I put about four squirts of the stuff inside of the cannon ~3-4oz.

According to the CG website, the honeydew won't strip sealants/waxes which is nice.

"Honeydew Snow Foam is the perfect choice for your weekly maintenance wash. The gentle cleaning power won’t remove wax so you know your car is always protected."
Thanks, guys. Honeydew sounds like the product to use. Definitely don't want to be stripping the wax.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
I purchased Greenworks power washer from Lowe's, and with a $24 extended 2 year warranty.

I love it so far. I have an MTM foam canon which I absolutely love. I want to try Honeydew soap by CG.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
I purchased Greenworks power washer from Lowe's, and with a $24 extended 2 year warranty.

I love it so far. I have an MTM foam canon which I absolutely love. I want to try Honeydew soap by CG.
alittle OT, but which adapter did you need for the foam cannon? Thinking about going this route myself.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 03:37 AM   #13
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastano View Post
alittle OT, but which adapter did you need for the foam cannon? Thinking about going this route myself.

Thanks!
No Adapter needed. MTM attaches straight up to the gun.
Appreciate 0