BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

EXXEL Distributions

04-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #45
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Any opinions on either one of these?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...35962&t=p&z=10

or

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...471924&t=p&z=9
      04-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #46
kloh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROIS View Post
Almost... just the portion between Mulhouse and Strasbourg was off. Try this:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.314827&z=12
Wow...that route between Mulhouse and Strasbourg looks AWESOME. Exactly what I'm looking for. Now, I gotta figure out how i'm gonna work this in...along with the Gondolas >_<.

Maybe I need to skip the castle.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #47
kloh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesal@Project 808 View Post
I can't speak from any firsthand experience since I haven't been there yet, but from what I read and what I've been told, I'd say the first route is better. It contains some of the drives recommended by BMW...and while my buddy suggested I drive through the Alps toward Austria like your second one seems to indicate, I understand there may be some additional restrictions on drivers' licenses in Austria. Again, I'm not sure about that, but it's just what I've read. Either way, the routes seem interesting, but if it were up to me, I'd probably pick the first.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #48
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yea i think you need some type of pass to go through austria i think.

I am leaning towards the 1st route more but so many people recommend visiting Berchtesgaden which is in my 2nd route.
      04-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #49
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Österreich

Quote:
Used to but not any more as part of eurozone.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #50
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Quote:
Are you referring to the toll sticker (vignette) that you need to buy to drive on highways in Austria (similar system in Switzerland)?

I am not sure if you guys would have to buy these, but my guess is yes.
      05-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #51
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROIS View Post
Are you referring to the toll sticker (vignette) that you need to buy to drive on highways in Austria (similar system in Switzerland)?

I am not sure if you guys would have to buy these, but my guess is yes.
Yep, pull into any Tankstelle [gas station] and you can purchase a vignette [sticker]. I confess I did not last year and no issues (going from Czech Rep to Lower Bayern via Linz) - but I was not pulled over either....

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #52
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Yep, pull into any Tankstelle [gas station] and you can purchase a vignette [sticker]. I confess I did not last year and no issues (going from Czech Rep to Lower Bayern via Linz) - but I was not pulled over either....
...this is pretty much impossible in Switzerland as they check at the border if you have the vignette or not. If not, you can easily buy it there. I think it is 40 or 45 CHF these days.
      05-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #53
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post
I would say you'll be fine in France if you watch other traffic and slow when they do or watch for the speed camera signs. The only people I have ever seen zapped by the fixed cameras are UK plated drivers. Almost all fixed camera sites are very clearly posted about 400-500 meters from the camera box (the box may be empty but you'll only find out for sure if you trip it). Many small towns have a camera right as you enter town...considering how small and tight the roads are, you'll want to slow down anyway to avoid the kids/etc. The locals won't slow down and will tailgate you all through their own small village...speeding by their own neighbors and kids.

Also, watch cars parked on the side of the road, the police set up mobile cam units frequnetly by the side of the road -- you can sometimes spot by looking for the white rectangle cut into the tailgate/trunk for the flash. Just pretend you're looking for IEDs roadside...the cars are manned, so if they see a tourist plated car drive by after the picture gets taken, they will have you pulled over to collect the fine on the spot.
1) Yes, these signs look like the pics below.

2) Note also that these cars are being used in Switzerland....don't ask how I know!
Attached Images

Last edited by MTROIS; 05-17-2009 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #54
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Hello Kloh,

I have bene living in Germany for the past ten years. Here are my sugestions.

When you go to Nuerburgring(not to be confused with Nuerenberg! where they had teh Nazi trails)... since its a public road (open to all velhicles reg for the street) you will need a child seat for your son. You will also need a child seat for Germany as well. There is a height and weight limit when a child can start to use the regular seat belts in the car. You should also ask the 'Ring people IF you can take your car with RED temp tags onto the Ring. I thought a year or two back they stopped allowing tourist tag'd car on teh Ring. I think the reason was too many wrecks. Every year aprox eight people die at the Ring. Plus a few more cycle accidents. Its no big deal going there. I would reccomend you going there. Just use comon sense... when the gates open... let all the boy races go out for teh first hour or so. Let them get tired and then go out after a few wrecks have been clean up. Its quite a show over here. The Ring aslo has a great Museum sponser's by BMW. Near by in the village of Nuerburg, is the BMW Test Center - you can go there and look around. Its quite interesting little dealership like place. There is also the old ruin castle there you can go up inside of.

There is the Dorit Hotel at the Ring - but I would recomend staying in one of the suburbs there and find a real small and nice old German style hotel. Also the museum. And an ADAC driving training center near by. Also a go kart track under the museum. This year they will open the worlds fastest Roller Coaster. I think its suppose to go as fast as 200 kph! Also near Nuerburgring near the twon of Mayen, is a small gas station known all over the world for its MANY toy models for sale there. Ask around how to get there. I believe its an "Adia" gas station. They must have 100,000 toy models in every size there for sale.

You can have a "ring Taxi (an fleet of BMW M5's) take you out for a four laps( each lap is 22 kms!!!) It costs 188 euros for up too four people. Not sure about kids though. ask.

When you pick up your M3 in Muenchen. I would sugest you head for Cheimesee area. Near there in Amerang is the EFA Musuem. This is one of my favorite museums. Mainly bc they have ALOT of small micro cars from the 1950s and 60's. They also have a very nice model train set downstairs and a nice collection of Porsche's - my other love.

http://www.efa-automuseum.de/

Cheimsee is at the foothills of the Alps and soooo pretty. Go take the small ship to the Fraueninsel (Ladies Island) and see one of King Ludwig's summer palaces - designed as a mini versides.

Then drive South to Salzburg. Salzburg is about a three hour drive from Muenchen and is sooo pretty. In the outskirts of Salzburg(Salt Mountain) are the salt mines of DE and Austria. You can go on a tour of these underground salt werks. Plan on spending an entire day there. Really half a day, but you will be beat afterwards. When you ride this small ride on train deep into the mountain... they have you dress up as old miners. Take you picture. And you ride these wooden slides once your two miles deep into the mountain. All kids love this place!!!

IF you like Porsches.... down in Austria, in the town of Gmuend - is a small private Porsche museum, run by Helmut Pfiefhofer. This is where Porsche built there first 48 356's. Holy grund for and P-nut like myself. Also near by in the twon of "Zell Am See" is the family grave of Ferdinand and Ferry Porsche.

On your way back up into Germany.... near Augsburg is Lego-land Deutscheland. You should take your son here. Its near where the A7 and A8 intersect. You can stay there in one of Legoland hotels too.

http://www.legoland.de/

IF you go to Stuttgart, you should go see the MB Museum and the Porsche Museum. Both are top notch museums. No expenses spared.

Near Stuttgart on the A6 where it intersects the A81 is a realy nice musuem call Sinshiem. This is my all time favorite museum in all of Germany. Why? Bc they have EVERYTHING there!!! Open 365 days per year(most German museums are closed on Mondays and holidays!!). Sinshiem has Planes cars, trains, F1 cars, prototypes, rockets and well just EVERYTHING!!! This place is huge!! They even have a sistem museum near by in Speyer. Thats near Hiedelberg. Also a nice place to visit. Sinsheim has BOTh concords, Brit and Russian, planes on teh roof that you can go UP INSIDE OF!!! IMAX films, 400 plus race cars. Plus Rommel dug into the African desert!!!! And a bunch of American cars too! lol Its quite a place of Automotive Mecca. GO THERE!!!

http://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/

IF you come noorth to where I live, in Bamberg. In Nurenberg there is the PlayMobil Land. Its like a very small version of Legoland.

http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/dem...START_ZIRNDORF

Well... this is just what comes into my head. You should also be prepared on how draining it IS to drive over here. When you drive three or four hundred kilometers in one day you will be spent. So plan little side trips and breaks in your route. Be flexable. Also an M3 will be slugging down some fuel. Most guys over here can only get about 280 miles per tank!!! Thats 80 plus liters of Super Plus. Also in teh summer time gas will be at its all time high prices, since August is when all German takes there vacations. Gas wil probably cost about 1.45 for SuperPlus (98 octane). SOme years it ca get up too 1.55. Thats about $7.50 per gallon. And figgure on 15mpg on the autobahns. Maybe slightly higher. Depends how fast your drive. Drive all back roads (BundesStrasse) B roads. Thats what I did to break in my 135i. IF you need any advice just shoot me a PM.

Good Luck and Enjoy Deutschland!

http://www.auto-museum.at/
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #55
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Here are two helpful websites on der 'Ring! :"))

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en.html

http://nurburgring.org.uk/
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #56
kloh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Thanks all for the pointers and tips. I guess I forgot to update this thread with the fact that I did the trip and had a great time. My beautiful M3 has been in my possession back in the states for a few months now.

I kept a blog during the trip and here are the details if anyone is interested: http://kloh.posterous.com/tag/europeandelivery

Tip: Read backwards, from page 6 to get the stories in chronological order.

-Ken

Appreciate 0