BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

12-23-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Review: Back Up Camera & Multimedia Interface Kit - modmynav.com/MentholGuy

Hi Folks,

Wanted to give you a quick review of the Back Up Camera & Multimedia Interface Kit I had installed today on my 2009 e90 M3. I bought the kit from m3post member, MentholGuy (Chris) from his site modmynav.com (http://modmynav.com/index.html). The kit itself is excellent quality and totally plug-play. The camera is integrated into the button that opens your trunk and still retains all the function of the OEM button while also providing a stealth area for the camera. It does not take the place of one of your license plate lights like some of the other kits out there. The multimedia kit allows you to display the image from the back-up camera when you are in reverse as well as when you are driving. It also allows you to play video from your iPod/iPhone and a portable DVD player.

Chris came over to my place and did the install at no extra charge. We ran into a few hiccups as this was the first non DCT/non PDC car he had done. But with a little research Chris was able get everything working perfectly and still retain the plug-play aspect. Chris was a pleasure to work with and went above and beyond in customer service. He also did a very clean and tidy install. No cutting, gluing, etc needed. I am very happy with the install.

The system works perfectly...not really much else I can say....camera works great and it also plays video flawlessly. Really feel BMW should have offered us U.S. customers this function and now that I have this kit I feel the car is complete from a technology perspective. You can toggle between video source while driving by pressing the Info button on iDrive or (to my pleasant surprise) by pushing the down arrow on the rt hand steering wheel controls.....cool!

Here are some pics....if you are considering this mod...I say def go with Chris...top notch! He can do the install if you are local or provide you with great DIY instructions. Thanks Chris!!

Pic 1: Rear View - can you see the cam??
Pic 2: Cam Close Up
Pic 3: Screen with car in reverse
Pic 4: Screen while driving
Pic 5: iPhone video
Pic 6: Video via DVD player (my daughter's favorite show)

Last edited by KANdaddy; 10-13-2013 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

I like that a lot. Not sure which kit I'm going to go with but it's good to know that both have been well received and work well.

Great pics and I like your color choices.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
dvn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 C63 Coupe

That looks great. Thanks for the review!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

That's pretty slick, especially Ni Hao Kai Lan! My youngest son likes that show too.

Merry Christmas
      12-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
M3_LIN
LM-R Whore.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 White M3 Sedan

yea i was looking at this kit too.

So.. was wondering how Chris got the wiring to the trunk on a E90. Do you have pics of the install? Im planning on going up to N cali and have him install mine probably.

Ed Lin

09AWE90M: Light headlight tint, Full front end clear bra wrap(Harris@InstyleGraphics), Ceramic tint(40%), Piaa GTX H3 bulb, HID 8k AE, 6k Low, INT Luxer1 lights, RD springs, LMR 20X9 +8, 20X10 +18 (Dave @ Status), Vertice CF hood Ducts(Dat @ VertexUSA), Tecnocraft FULL Envy Intake system+plenum(KEVLAR)+cabin filter covers, Meister GTC exhaust, Arkym F LIP.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
That's pretty slick, especially Ni Hao Kai Lan! My youngest son likes that show too.

Merry Christmas
LOL. Kai Lan beats the crap out of Dora

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_LIN View Post

So.. was wondering how Chris got the wiring to the trunk on a E90. Do you have pics of the install? Im planning on going up to N cali and have him install mine probably.

Ed Lin
I don't have pics of the install. From what I watched, he routed the wires through the existing rubber wire sleeve in the trunk lid and then under the rear seats, under the carpeting/moulding the runs near the doors and finally behind and into the glove box and A/C vents where the multimedia unit sits. I'm probably missing a lot so PM Kris and he will do a better job explaining. I am really happy tho and willing to stake my (worthless) rep here in backing him
      12-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
MentholGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_LIN View Post

Ed Lin
Ed Lin,

Please check our DIY guides here, you can't go wrong with these manuals,
http://modmynav.com/diy.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
I don't have pics of the install. From what I watched, he routed the wires through the existing rubber wire sleeve in the trunk lid and then under the rear seats, under the carpeting/moulding the runs near the doors and finally behind and into the glove box and A/C vents where the multimedia unit sits. I'm probably missing a lot so PM Kris and he will do a better job explaining. I am really happy tho and willing to stake my (worthless) rep here in backing him
Aaron,

Thank you very much for great review and pics!
You really have good eyes, what you saw and explained here is what I've done on your car, nothing more or less.
Appreciate 0