BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
jlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Is there an official BMW policy on the use of USB flash drives?

I use a 16gb flash drive to store and play MP3's via the 6FL USB port in the armrest. Since BMW so kindly provided me with both an iPod cable AND a USB cable, I figured there would be no problem doing so.

It works fairly well... every now and then it suffers a little hiccup and has to be re-read (just have to navigate up in the iDrive menu and re-select it) but for the most part it's great.

When I was casually discussing how I liked the car with my sales guy and SA at my last visit, they got real upset when I mentioned the flash drive and said that the USB port is for iPods only and using a flash drive could screw up the car and that I shouldn't use it anymore.

This sounds like a load of crap to me. BMW specifically provided a USB cable which has no possible purpose if it were only to be used with iPods. Does anyone know if there is an official policy or bulletin or anything else on this?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
I use a 16gb flash drive to store and play MP3's via the 6FL USB port in the armrest. Since BMW so kindly provided me with both an iPod cable AND a USB cable, I figured there would be no problem doing so.

It works fairly well... every now and then it suffers a little hiccup and has to be re-read (just have to navigate up in the iDrive menu and re-select it) but for the most part it's great.

When I was casually discussing how I liked the car with my sales guy and SA at my last visit, they got real upset when I mentioned the flash drive and said that the USB port is for iPods only and using a flash drive could screw up the car and that I shouldn't use it anymore.

This sounds like a load of crap to me. BMW specifically provided a USB cable which has no possible purpose if it were only to be used with iPods. Does anyone know if there is an official policy or bulletin or anything else on this?
Kind of stupid since the only way to transfer music to the HDD in the car is to do it from a CD or from a flash drive connected to the USB port in the glove box. I can't imagine the USB port in the armrest being any different. I was planning on buying a flash drive myself for the same purpose. Do you leave your flash drive in the armrest all the time. I was wondering if a flash drive would fit plugged in to the USB port with the armrest down. Looks like there isn't much room for the flash drive to be plugged in vertically there.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

What about the USB port in the glovebox?

IIRC the owners manual correctly, the USB port in the armrest is for portable music players (like the iPod), and the USB port in the glovebox is for flash drives, etc. I don't know why it would make a difference (other than the armrest providing power to the iPod).
      11-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
jlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
Kind of stupid since the only way to transfer music to the HDD in the car is to do it from a CD or from a flash drive connected to the USB port in the glove box. I can't imagine the USB port in the armrest being any different. I was planning on buying a flash drive myself for the same purpose. Do you leave your flash drive in the armrest all the time. I was wondering if a flash drive would fit plugged in to the USB port with the armrest down. Looks like there isn't much room for the flash drive to be plugged in vertically there.
I have a Corsair Flash Voyager which I feel is on the large side for flash drives and the armrest closes fine with it plugged in vertically. I was using the extension cable at first but didn't like having it flailing all over the storage area.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
canesr1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Metallic Black

Quote:
Us 335'ers have been using the flash drives as well. They do fit fine in the armrest and MOST brands will work. There were a few off-beat brands that my '08 335 won't recognize.
BTW- whoever told the OP that is a complete dope.

Sorry for coming to the ///M board but I'm about to pull the trigger and get another M3 soon!

2007 E92 Metallic Black, Black interior, brushed aluminum, 6MT, Nav, 6FL, 20% ceramic tints, OEM Front Lip, Dinan Stage 2 Rev2, 19''s M6 Reps
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesr1 View Post
Us 335'ers have been using the flash drives as well. They do fit fine in the armrest and MOST brands will work. There were a few off-beat brands that my '08 335 won't recognize.
BTW- whoever told the OP that is a complete dope.

Sorry for coming to the ///M board but I'm about to pull the trigger and get another M3 soon!
Cool! How do you search through the flash drive via idrive? Does it give it the same options as the iPod like Artist/Song/Album search? Does it recognize m3u playlists?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post

What? Your CA/SA is as high as a kite.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Just get one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136228

They come in 160gb, 250gb, 320gb, qand 500gb. Ranging in price from $80 - $180.

I have a black 250gb and its amazing. Absolutely love it, and they run off the power from the USB. No external power source needed.

Plus, then you could store up episodes of Top Gear, movies, or a rediculous amount of music. Whichever suits your fancy.
      11-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Just get one of these.

I have a black 250gb and its amazing. Absolutely love it, and they run off the power from the USB. No external power source needed.

Plus, then you could store up episodes of Top Gear, movies, or a rediculous amount of music. Whichever suits your fancy.
Are you using this in your car? Reading through some E90 posts, it appears that the USB port does not have enough power to startup the drive. That drive was one of the ones that people tried and didn't work. There were a lot of others that were tried and didn't work. I think only a few got actually portable hard drives to work and it was intermittent at best. That's why I decided to look into flash drives.

Here's the post I read through

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96309
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Are you using this in your car? Reading through some E90 posts, it appears that the USB port does not have enough power to startup the drive. That drive was one of the ones that people tried and didn't work. There were a lot of others that were tried and didn't work. I think only a few got actually portable hard drives to work and it was intermittent at best. That's why I decided to look into flash drives.

Here's the post I read through

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96309
Wasn't aware of that issue. I figured since it was powered by only the USB cable it would of been fine.

Odd that the M3 USB port doesn't provide as much power.

I also haven't tried to use it in a M3 yet. But for all other applications, its worked just great.
      11-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm curious if some of the drives that didnt work would work with the new updated idrive system?
      11-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm curious if some of the drives that didnt work would work with the new updated idrive system?
I don't think it has anything to do with the idrive system. It's the limitation of the amount of current available through a USB port. I believe it is 0.5 amp max. These external hardrives draw less than that at their steady state but at startup, there is a large draw to get the motor started and that draw is typically larger than what is available. That's why if you read through the thread a lot of guys are saying the drive light is on but the motor is not spinning. There just isn't enough juice there to startup the drive. When used on a computer, the drives are typically supplied with a 1:2 USB pigtail so that you can connect to 2 USB ports at the same time and doubling the amount of current available.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 12:05 AM   #13
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

The owner's manual specifically says not to hook up external hard drives to the USB port.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 02:11 AM   #14
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
The owner's manual specifically says not to hook up external hard drives to the USB port.
Already knew that. The real question is why. How does it differ from a high capacity flash drive or an iPod since an iPod is considered a storage device too? My previous explanation is the only possibility I can think of.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #15
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

the previous post is correct... it's the startup current to spin up the drive that is actually quite high momentarily and USB just won't cough it up, as it has current limiters.

But flash drives are absolutely no problem and should be the way to store all your tunes and movies. BTW, you could use an HDD like the newegg product and plug it into the power port in the 09 armrest console... it could be done that way.

And I think the CA/SA are nuts on getting upset about a flash drive... if you can't plug an flash drive in... then what the hell else would the USB port be for....?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 08:42 AM   #16
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it has anything to do with the idrive system. It's the limitation of the amount of current available through a USB port. I believe it is 0.5 amp max. These external hardrives draw less than that at their steady state but at startup, there is a large draw to get the motor started and that draw is typically larger than what is available. That's why if you read through the thread a lot of guys are saying the drive light is on but the motor is not spinning. There just isn't enough juice there to startup the drive. When used on a computer, the drives are typically supplied with a 1:2 USB pigtail so that you can connect to 2 USB ports at the same time and doubling the amount of current available.
+1 Very informative.

Thank you for sharing this. I wasn't aware of the 1:2 pigtail to get the spindel turning.
      11-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #17
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

yes I keep a 4GB small usb drive in there all the time, fits fine. works fine. holds plenty of music.
also kept same usb drive in my 335 for a year and it worked fine.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #18
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Big difference between external hard drive like the WD passport and flash drive. External hard drives have a platter inside, that spins at various rpms. This obviously, requires more current to run. A USB flash drive, has no moving parts inside, and therefore, requires less current to run.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #19
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Any idea why I can play music from my flash drive in the USB port in the armrest but not from the glove box? It doesn't show any USB connected when it's in the glovebox, but my flash drive lights up.
      01-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #20
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
Any idea why I can play music from my flash drive in the USB port in the armrest but not from the glove box? It doesn't show any USB connected when it's in the glovebox, but my flash drive lights up.

The one in the glove box is to go and save music in your harddrive. It is not for playing music, but rather to download.... Hope this will help...
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #21
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

Quote:
Just get one of these.

I have that drive for my laptop and it won't play in the car. Not enough power to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 02:21 AM   #22
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
+1 Very informative.

Thank you for sharing this. I wasn't aware of the 1:2 pigtail to get the spindel turning.
Yeah, this is definitely the issue with external hard drives, not enough current. Unfortunately, because there is only one USB port, using a pigtail is not possible.

Gotta stick to a thumb drive.
Appreciate 0