BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

04-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
Benjjman007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50iMSport & MP4-12C

Garage List
Where should I put my Blinder Power Switch?

Im having my Blinder M20 installed tomorrow, and I can't decide where I want to have the power switch located.

This is where some have placed it, Coutresy of SS32:

I am looking for a more discreet place to put the switch. I have Fox Red Extended, so I don't really want to drill a hole in the leather under the steering column...

Has anyone else come across this situation? Any Suggestions?

I'm gunna have to go lay on my back in the garage looking in my drivers footwell for a spot.

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

What about the upper part of the drivers side kick panel? If you mount it high enough, it should be out of plain sight. The only thing you'll need to be aware of is accidentally kicking it with your foot.
      04-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Benjjman007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50iMSport & MP4-12C

Garage List
Getting it installed right now... Came up with a good location, can't wait to see how it comes out!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
SteveW25561
Rep
Drives: MB SLK 350

Sorry I was late to post this. I installed a Laser Interceptor, and I'm pretty happy with where i put the switch: its very stealth, and hidden in the lighter socket well.

Here's a link to my installation:
http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...tml#post585515

A partial quote from that install note:
====Well, I took the plunge and did the install on my own. Must say I'm pretty proud of the final result: if only I can find someone to test it for me in Vancouver, BC, Canada or near Seattle, WA.

I decided the vertical grill install was beyond me, and although relatively stealth, whenever I did a test fit, my eyes were always drawn to the shadowy defect (ie the LI heads) in the kidney grills. I thus opted for the lower intake recess and I think its relatively nice. It was easy to thread the LI head wires thru the intake grill, fish up wth a clothes hanger then run it along the engine compartment to the firewall.

I used some 3M tape to test align (to ensure they were looking straight ahead as possible) but once happy, I screwed them into the bumper (yikes, but would be really hard to see unless you bent right down and looked "upskirt"). I then bent the brackets while mounted to the heads and the car to level them horizontally to the ground.

I followed the instructions from calvino and Tambourineman to access the firewall (went in via the spare grommet nipple under the drivers side, by pushing a scalpel blade through it, making a slit twice (like an 'X'). A coat hanger pushed up into the engine compartment, then taped the RJ11 connectors (and protecting their tabs, using the tape to make a taper from the coat hanger to the RJ11 head), a strong yank and it was in.

I'm particularly proud of where I mounted the switch -- its in the ashtray recess, right under the lighter itself. I used an Irwin Unitbit #4 to drill out a hole just over 20mm wide (~7/8", didn't quite go to the full 7/8" mark). I pushed the LI switch through and it looks almost factory, yet easily hidden. Not even that noticable when the cover is open.

I found it was an amazingly smooth hole -- I drilled from the back of the lighter compartment after removing it from the vehicle. I measured carefully to find the center point, drilled a tiny 1/8" hole to serve as the start point (didn't want any slippage), drilled from behind, the the drill bit nicely took out even the horizontal bar jutting out from the lighter casing.

Mounted the switch and cut out a bit of foam that was around the shifter knob (I presume for sound deadening) to make room for the switch wires and it snapped into place nicely.

I have since wired a discreet parking switch mod using a headphone extension cable and a M/F DB9 gender changer so that when the headphone jack is plugged into the extension cable's female port, it acts as a normally functioning Laser Interceptor. Removing the jack and tucking away the headphone receptacle port turns it onto only a parking aid, unresponsive to Police Lasers.

The CPU unit is mounted hidden and an external speaker wired leaves a clean look inside the cabin as well.

Finally, I've programmed the LI to autojam only for 10 seconds.

========

Some pictures are attached as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Steve,

Nice work. Did you VEIL your lights yet? I'm curious to see how it looks with the black car.

Cheers.
      04-27-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
SteveW25561
Rep
Drives: MB SLK 350

I did Veil the lights: I used an airbrush and made a very thin layer. It makes for a nice dark tint, and is fairly subtle. When I recall the original lights were totally clear, I can definitely tell the lights are VEIL'd -- it looks kinda like they are smoked.

I know you can put a much thicker layer on but I like the subtle look -- I'm told it should still be effective but I don't have anyone locally that can test my rig for me. My car is black and the Laser Interceptor makes it "relatively" laser-resistant.

Here are some pictures. On the very close up you can see specks like dust. I since changed to a proper air compressor (<$75) instead of a can of compressed air and subsequent applications are MUCH smoother looking (I don't have pictures of that yet).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

SteveW

Very nice VEILing. I'm with you about putting it on lightly. I had a Porter-Cable air compressor until someone stole it a couple of months ago. I'll be getting a new one and will definitely spray the VEIL on.

To the OP: another place for the switch you might think about is right next to the light switch. In fact, there is a way to make the rear foglight switch operational using lego blocks; search the forums. You might be able to do the same thing with the top part of the switch which is usually for the front fog lights but on our cars does nothing obviously. If you could mate this top part with a push-on-push-off switch for the Blinder that would be totally cool and stealth.

Cheers.
      09-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
Dengel
Non-Guido Jersey Resident
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow Jeep Rubicon

Cool install. Very stealthy.

Can someone fill me in on what the VEIL is?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Install looks good.
Really don't like the look of the headlights, makes them look old.
Appreciate 0