BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

07-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #23
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Just got this newsletter with detailed instructions on how to do a Windows 7 no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall. Go here for details: Windows Secrets

Worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #24
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

This is why I just installed Snow Leopard on my PC, I'm so sick of Windows.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #25
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
Just got this newsletter with detailed instructions on how to do a Windows 7 no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall. Go here for details: Windows Secrets

Worth a try.
I thought that was a joke when you posted that...kinda wanna try it
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #26
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
I thought that was a joke when you posted that...kinda wanna try it
Not a joke. That newsletter actually has a lot of good info.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #27
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

I have an honest, non derogatory question here.

What do you guys do to your machines? I've surrounded in computers for years. I use not as nice stuff, bit torrents, etc. In the operating systems of the past like 8 years there's only been 2 things that consistently gave me problems. Windows SP2 or 3 when it came out, and Vista across the board.
I beat the crap outta my machines and anything non Dell holds up well. I'm genuinely curious how everyone gets in these predicaments on a regular basis. I reformat/clean once every 2 years I'd say. But these are desktops/laptops that have the crap beaten outta them and keep on ticking.

Yes I realize this will start a fight in this thread, like the rest of them, but I'm genuinely curious. And as I mentioned in my previous post, the one MAC I own and use on an off and on basis crashes exponentially more than any of the windows 7 machines I have
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #28
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:

What do you guys do to your machines? I've surrounded in computers for years. I use not as nice stuff, bit torrents, etc. In the operating systems of the past like 8 years there's only been 2 things that consistently gave me problems. Windows SP2 or 3 when it came out, and Vista across the board.
I beat the crap outta my machines and anything non Dell holds up well. I'm genuinely curious how everyone gets in these predicaments on a regular basis. I reformat/clean once every 2 years I'd say. But these are desktops/laptops that have the crap beaten outta them and keep on ticking.

Yes I realize this will start a fight in this thread, like the rest of them, but I'm genuinely curious. And as I mentioned in my previous post, the one MAC I own and use on an off and on basis crashes exponentially more than any of the windows 7 machines I have

I'm on the same page as you, I can't understand what these people do to these computers to fuck them up so bad.

There's already a mac vs pc thread in the gaming section so we should probably not turn this one into one of those and help this guy fix his computer. :glares at mac guys not offering help just telling him to get a mac:
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #29
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:

I was wondering the same thing. My three work computers, two running Windows XP, and one running Windows 7 have NEVER crashed. My two home computers, a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 7, have NEVER crashed.

Perhaps they're buying cheap Acer crap.

Oh, and I'll just sit back and have some
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #30
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

Just for future reference McAfee is a complete piece of shit.

I suggest ONLY using Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes.

It's hard to diagnose your issue from the information you gave us but it's very possible it's hardware failure (which happens to mAcs). Open the computer and see if its completely covered in dust and clean it out if it is. You could try doing a system restore to a previous date or even re installing windows if you have a disc.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #31
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
I was wondering the same thing. My three work computers, two running Windows XP, and one running Windows 7 have NEVER crashed. My two home computers, a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 7, have NEVER crashed.

Perhaps they're buying cheap Acer crap.

Oh, and I'll just sit back and have some
haha the only thing I can figure is it is something to do with the manufacturer. Maybe everyone is buying a certain brand.

My experience with DELL has been garbage, but that's all been hardware failure.

That's something to note across the board. Hardware failure has NOTHING to do with the PC (generally speaking). It speaks to the manufacturer of the computer.
Lots of companies (read Dell), skimp out and get shit. I've had PSU's go, harddrives go, all that go with work computers but it's just because it's Dell....not because it's a PC.

Get good parts and your PC can last you forever.... (my 9 year old one is still ticking and it's been under water, in closets, in moving vans, in everything)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #32
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:

What do you guys do to your machines?

I beat the crap outta my machines and anything non Dell holds up well
I just exchanged an HP for a Lenovo. I know that computers are really just a sum of parts, but having good luck with Lenovo in the past (last work computer lasted 6 yrs) the only reason I went with the HP is because it suit my needs better out of the box. W7 Pro, i5 3.2, 4GB DDR3, 250GB HDD (I have no practical use for hard drive *******.

Spent 3 days fucking around with it, could not get it to run correctly. It was always something, and not like here and there, like every 15min. All I need is to run accounting software, MS office, and a web browser. I can't explain why it fought me every step of the way.

Traded it for a Lenovo a couple hours ago, W7 HP (which I upgraded to Pro straight away), i5 2.9 second gen, 6GB DDR3, TB HDD, and put my software on it, and at least so far, works great. None of the initial and continued dicking around like with the HP. For example, the HP would not take any of the 3 video cards I tried to run dual monitors. The Lenovo runs the first one (ATI 5xxx something or other) without any problems. Really not sure what the big difference could be
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #33
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

man i would hate to not know anything about computers but i also hate to be that guy your friends always call when their shit breaks.

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #34
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
My computer which I had built by a co-worker back in Oct of 09
i didn't even read passed this........
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #35
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I just exchanged an HP for a Lenovo. I know that computers are really just a sum of parts, but having good luck with Lenovo in the past (last work computer lasted 6 yrs) the only reason I went with the HP is because it suit my needs better out of the box. W7 Pro, i5 3.2, 4GB DDR3, 250GB HDD (I have no practical use for hard drive *******.

Spent 3 days fucking around with it, could not get it to run correctly. It was always something, and not like here and there, like every 15min. All I need is to run accounting software, MS office, and a web browser. I can't explain why it fought me every step of the way.

Traded it for a Lenovo a couple hours ago, W7 HP (which I upgraded to Pro straight away), i5 2.9 second gen, 6GB DDR3, TB HDD, and put my software on it, and at least so far, works great. None of the initial and continued dicking around like with the HP. For example, the HP would not take any of the 3 video cards I tried to run dual monitors. The Lenovo runs the first one (ATI 5xxx something or other) without any problems. Really not sure what the big difference could be
probably exactly what you said, a sum of the parts.

I never cared enough to dig into the nitty gritties, but I'm betting all the real headaches for computers (especially newer ones) are as a result of some intolerance somewhere that is still within the 'acceptable range'.
e.g. my story is completely different, HP business class laptops have been amazing for me. I LITERALLY beat the crap outta it, throw it across the room, etc and the thing never skipped a beat. My new 'media pc' (from work) has been awesome as well. wireless card wire got loose, but I still keep it running all the time and no problems..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #36
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
probably exactly what you said, a sum of the parts.

I never cared enough to dig into the nitty gritties, but I'm betting all the real headaches for computers (especially newer ones) are as a result of some intolerance somewhere that is still within the 'acceptable range'.
e.g. my story is completely different, HP business class laptops have been amazing for me. I LITERALLY beat the crap outta it, throw it across the room, etc and the thing never skipped a beat. My new 'media pc' (from work) has been awesome as well. wireless card wire got loose, but I still keep it running all the time and no problems..
Yea, that's weird, this was one of HP's "business" PCs...not their latest and greatest, but should definitely be able to handle what I do. For whatever reason, the network would run slow/drop out, video cards would either run like shit or not at all, I had to perform a bunch of work arounds to get Peachtree to run properly, etc...after I couldn't get it right after 3 days, I just figured that even when/if I do, it's likely not going to last. Thus, I bought the Lenovo and it runs perfect so far. The same OS, same Peachtree, and the work arounds are unnecessary (primarily the print to pdf / email function, which I use probably 50x a day). First video card installed perfectly with no screen flickering, wavy lines (as if refresh rate is too low, but it isn't) like the HP would do. I've had constant problems with HP printers/faxes, but since it was one of the machines that came pre-loaded with W7P I figured I'd give it a shot. Glad they've worked out for you, but I'll be hard pressed to try another of their products, at least for near future.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #37
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Yea, that's weird, this was one of HP's "business" PCs...not their latest and greatest, but should definitely be able to handle what I do. For whatever reason, the network would run slow/drop out, video cards would either run like shit or not at all, I had to perform a bunch of work arounds to get Peachtree to run properly, etc...after I couldn't get it right after 3 days, I just figured that even when/if I do, it's likely not going to last. Thus, I bought the Lenovo and it runs perfect so far. The same OS, same Peachtree, and the work arounds are unnecessary (primarily the print to pdf / email function, which I use probably 50x a day). First video card installed perfectly with no screen flickering, wavy lines (as if refresh rate is too low, but it isn't) like the HP would do. I've had constant problems with HP printers/faxes, but since it was one of the machines that came pre-loaded with W7P I figured I'd give it a shot. Glad they've worked out for you, but I'll be hard pressed to try another of their products, at least for near future.
nah I can't say I blame you. Your experience sounds like my experience with dell multipled by a few computers.

My bet it something was squirrely with your motherboard, again with whatever 'acceptable tolerance', but they still shipped.
And I'd put money there were several hundreds/thousands of laptops EXACTLY like yours.

(everyone in my company had the same harddrive problem I had with my dell, as we all got the same batch)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #38
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Was a desktop but that's neither here nor there. They guy asked if I wanted to try another of the same computer but that "batch" reason is exactly why I just said this is the minimum I'm looking for, make it a Lenovo this time.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #39
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

I've got a Lenovo desktop that has been working great, and we just bought another Toshiba laptop for the wife. The previous one (3 year old Vista machine) is still working fine, except battery life is now 10 minutes. Since we had such good luck with the Toshiba, we bought another one. I have only 1 computer left on Vista, and I should see about moving it to W7 (just so everything is the same, and to get rid of Vista.....)

My work laptop is a Lenovo running XP, but the HDD just crashed after 1 year of use. Not really Lenovo's fault. But our company moved to HP's for the next rollout, which burns my ass. I'm on a "I hate HP" tear, since they couldn't get my printer working properly for over 3 years (L7680, it would truncate text.) I've now dumped just about every HP product I can, switching to Canon printers when possible.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0