BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

04-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #23
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xquisit View Post
Well, Geico quoted me at 3,000USD for six months

I've had a minor accident, and 105+ on a 65mph speeding ticket that happened three years ago. Looks like I have to wait two years to hope to get a lower quote (more time to save money, yay).

I did make the bodily injury part 30,000/60,000 - and wasn't sure if that was a good price point to select.

I also checked the B+ average student part, and hoped it would lower the price. Sheesh, $6,000 a year, you were right about the 50% part

EDIT: Crap, sorry for double post (it's really late, and was planning on editing the post prior to this one)
$6k per year is ridiculous. definitely wait til those incidents are far enough back that they don't drive up your insurance prices.

I would suggest State Farm though. I've used them for years, and they've always been cheaper than the alternatives (if you look at comparable coverage).
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #24
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Wow... $6,000 per year?

I would rather drive like an old man and not get a speeding ticket ever than pay insurance rates like that. That is outrageous.

I have three cars (one of them the M3) and I pay like $1000 per six months with USAA. But then again I have no accidents and no tickets.

I think Geico rips people off hard, but that's just my personal opinion.
      04-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #25
Vybz
Captain
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: Adidas and Puma

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [8.60]
Geico is garbage... nuff said. Based off the 1 insurance thread we have, it really does look like State farm is the way to go, unfortunately it's the only company I haven't gotten a quote from yet for the upcoming whip.

Quote:
22 year old single male in Los Angeles driving an E9xM3 or Ford Mustang 5.0. Tell us what you get for insurance quotes. It can't be less than $3000 per year and I would not be surprised if it was 50% more.
I don't live in LA, but that is definitely not true. I'm not 22, I'm 23, really doesn't make a difference. My highest quote was 330ish a month and that was from all state. Progressive 270ish, and the 1 that I probably will go with if state farm fails me, USAA was 210.14 a month. So about 2.5k a year at age 23. I am military though, but I honestly think the deduction w/ USAA for that was maybe only like 30-50$ tops.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #26
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep
Drives: 328i / R32 / 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
If the M3 is truly your dream car then get it if you can afford it. Imagine the feeling of having your dream come true. Life is too short and who knows what tomorrow may bring. I grew up always wishing for things and then one day I decided to actually do something about it. So you're 22, seems the perfect age to be sporting around an M3.

I'm definitely anticipating on owning the car, but realistically it would be leased in two years (funny, that's when it'll be the five year period for my speeding ticket and accident to be five years from then - which is what geico asked for). I definitely don't know what's entailed for me in the future, let alone our beautiful country.. so I want to enjoy my life to the fullest, and I appeciate the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
$6k per year is ridiculous. definitely wait til those incidents are far enough back that they don't drive up your insurance prices.

I would suggest State Farm though. I've used them for years, and they've always been cheaper than the alternatives (if you look at comparable coverage).
Thank you so much, I'll definitely check out SF Insurance - and get a quote from them. I will most likely wait the two years out, and that's when I will graduate from Community College (and hope to get into a UC, or settle to save money in a Cal State- which is very smart).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Wow... $6,000 per year?

I would rather drive like an old man and not get a speeding ticket ever than pay insurance rates like that. That is outrageous.

I have three cars (one of them the M3) and I pay like $1000 per six months with USAA. But then again I have no accidents and no tickets.

I think Geico rips people off hard, but that's just my personal opinion.
I understand, 6k a year not possible for me. I'm a broke student, and I'm looking for a job. I don't think I could go with USAA, since I'm not in a military based family - correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vybz View Post
Geico is garbage... nuff said. Based off the 1 insurance thread we have, it really does look like State farm is the way to go, unfortunately it's the only company I haven't gotten a quote from yet for the upcoming whip.

I don't live in LA, but that is definitely not true. I'm not 22, I'm 23, really doesn't make a difference. My highest quote was 330ish a month and that was from all state. Progressive 270ish, and the 1 that I probably will go with if state farm fails me, USAA was 210.14 a month. So about 2.5k a year at age 23. I am military though, but I honestly think the deduction w/ USAA for that was maybe only like 30-50$ tops.
I'll stay away from Geico, you are the third person to say they are trash. Oh, so it seems it was $50 a month deducted for going with USAA, which is definitely worth it. I would hop on saving every penny I could, as long as it's a reputable company. I think you gave me a nice understanding of what I would pay with a clean record and a nice insurance company. Much appreciated, and thank you for your time spent here.

================================================== =======

Fellas, I will be going to the dealership today! I hope to come back with a Mustang GT in my brothers possession. Til then, be safe & stay tuned!
      05-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #27
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW2 View Post
The 5.0 is an amazing car. It's so good that BMW even love it. They enjoy the fun competitive nature it's bringing. I'm not talking dealers or salesman here, I'm talking BMW PR and executives.

The GT is a remarkable car. It's the best American sports car for under $50,000. A Corvette is much faster, but way less usable. The Mustang also has a much nicer interior.

As for the M3, it's a bit better in certain areas around the track. It's also a bit more refined. However, the Mustang is much more comfortable and gets MUCH better fuel mileage.

Either one you get you'll be very happy. I say drive them both and enjoy each test, if you can. Don't worry about what other people say. The M3 is worth its price tag and the Mustang is worth its, too. The Mustang just happens to be as fast as the M3 in most circumstances.

The Mustang will also be much easier to mod your way for less money. The M3 is espensive...
You can't go wrong with either, though. I almost bought a new Boss 302 before settling on my M3...

Well guys I pick mine up on Monday....... 2011 Fully loaded Gt Premium. Having just come out of an E90 M3, I will write up an educated review.

That being said, I ordered the Boss 302 Intake Manifold, JBL CAI, Kooks LT Headers, full Magnaflow exhaust, a tuner, a new grill, side louvers for the body and windows and came out to less than HALF of what a full Akra costs for the M3. These bolt on parts will push it from 414 hp to roughly 480+. I miss the M, but I sure dont miss the premium one has to pay to do ANYTHING to it.
      05-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #28
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep
Drives: 328i / R32 / 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fool View Post
Well guys I pick mine up on Monday....... 2011 Fully loaded Gt Premium. Having just come out of an E90 M3, I will write up an educated review.

That being said, I ordered the Boss 302 Intake Manifold, JBL CAI, Kooks LT Headers, full Magnaflow exhaust, a tuner, a new grill, side louvers for the body and windows and came out to less than HALF of what a full Akra costs for the M3. These bolt on parts will push it from 414 hp to roughly 480+. I miss the M, but I sure dont miss the premium one has to pay to do ANYTHING to it.

Congrats!

My lil' bro picked up the 2012 Mustang GT 5.0 /w 3.73 ratio + security package. Black on black ftw! Car is a beast!

OT: I saw a 911 turbo, I now want that car... or the new M5 O_O

Ok in my dreams, or in fifteen years!
      05-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #29
MD 335is
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 Chevy Avalanche

Quote:

I am twenty-two years old, and there is ONE HUGE problem I forgot to mention: I'm very new to driving manual, and only driven three times within five years. I don't think the Mustang will be so forgiving, and was hoping to learn on my brothers e30 (when he fixes it up, and it's not an M if you're wondering).....
I am 42 and was given about an hour instruction on a stick about 6 months ago.
Yesterday I test drove a Stang 5.0 stick (only my second hour driving stick) and while i was rough, it was not that difficult.

Still not sure about a manual for a DD
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #30
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

big difference btw the 08's and the 11's. we have a few 5.0's and one shelby where i work and these new mustangs are very impressive. i love my M3 but the fact that bmw is not making NA engines in the M cars anymore i can tell you i will most likely get a Boss 302 in a couple years when my warranty is up on my M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thai357sig View Post
"This is a fun and friendly thread, I'm not trying to start a flame war!"

Man you came to the wrong forum! BMW drivers are Dicks! And they have no friends!

I test drove my friend 08' Shelby supersnake. My impression was the car was very basic, interior was very Ford, tremendous power, clutch was probably eighty pound push, lack all the electronics and tech sophistication of the M3. Ford succeeded in what they intended to make in these cars. Not comparable in any way to cross shop! You either want a mustang or an M3, not really any middle ground there in the choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #31
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i wish you guys would of talked to me bf he bought it. even if you didn't get it from us i could of looked over the deal for you and let you know if everything looked kosher. 72 month loans are usually not so great. unless you got 0% i would never recommend a 72 month and never never a 84. if they gave you a good price i can almost bet that they made it up on the back end in the finance room. did they show you it was under invoice or just told you that?? also i hope he only got Gap ins and not all the other crap they sell you in the room.

anyone else looking to get a Gt, Boss, or Shelby if you aren't close to us and don't want to make the trip i can at least check your numbers for you and see if it is a good deal

enjoy the new GT it is an awesome car

Quote:
I just want to start out by saying thank you for taking me seriously, because this thread is the real deal. This thread is mainly for me, but obviously my little brother is buying one 100% sure (tomorrow hopefully).

Secondly, he is getting a 2012 brand-spankin'-new Mustang 5.0 GT coupe /w Brembo package, 3.73 rear axle ratio, and security package. He is financing, and it's not premium package/no glass roof (which I will consider getting for myself). He is getting 700 or 50 under invoice (big gap, but honestly I can't remember forgive me - he's not home atm). Payment = Zero down + 500 a month INCLUDING tax for 72 months (six years). Now, let's just say I want a car within two years - and made this thread 335i vs mustang 5.0. I don't think I would want to finance a 335i, but mustang - it seems like a keeper (which is why I initially made it my dream car vs stang). I also hate the fact the 335i has no LSD (with no experience with a LSD RWD car, I am just assuming it will always be in the back of my mind I would mod the 335i more than the mustang & leads me back to saving up for the M3).

Definitely saw then, but I truly appreciate you taking your time to post them & I will definitely view them again for the second or third time (I got time, why not?). So thank you, and also I will definitely let you know what I think & share photos (possibly video as well) + a written review.

Wow, I didn't even see that color on the lot. BEAUTIFUL, it really must go well with the brembos & and as I see it matches your wheels perfectly! I'll definitely shoot you a pm, thanks for the offer. Personally, I'm willing to sacrifice luxury to save money (I'm not even sure how much it would cost me to lease the M3 brand new for three or five years, and then finance). The reason I would lease the M3 would just to be safe, and I might like the new F30s.

EDIT: I am now not worried about having two 5.0 Black mustangs, I have decided to get the same color as you - I dig it, a lot. One picture = a change of decision, but maybe if you post more pictures = quicker purchase ^^

You rock, thank you - I'm about to read this article, and ecstatic to see something new!

On the Mustang the power down low sounds nice, since I always read threads about M3 owners (some, if not very few) complaining about the low-end torque of the M3 (I'm not sure if they can drive their cars properly, so until I drive one I can't assume that tbh). I see you had a 335i, and I had a 06 e90 330i (ZPP ZSP iDrive & I believe it had AS). Which makes me want to stear towards the M3, but you just mentioned fuel economy.. Gosh, times are hard right now & I'll need to research how much gas I'll save going with the Mustang. I truly like the looks of the M3 more, and I too would modify the M3 way more than the Mustang (and it would be more expensive to mod it compared to the 'stang). Tough choice, but you're right - if I love something, I most likely will dedicate myself and acquire it

I definitely have thought about how expensive mods will be for an M3 (I'm sure after three or five years - I'd want BBS/BBK/Gt 2EXHAUST/OSS/Challenge Lip/CSL Trunk/Ericcson Rear Bumper). I like how you said the 5.0 is more comfortable, and I can't wait to give my opinion on it tomorrow (since, I will assume M3 seats were similar to my 06 e90 ZSP seats -right?).

The boss 302 might be my friends new car (currently has 04' GT), but he's looking hard for a 03 SVT Cobra!

I'm thinking really hard about this, and I know I can easily manage to make $500 a month to afford the 'Stang. I haven't even thought about it, but if I got the stang it would most likely be black on black - which is what my brother is buying. Wouldn't it be wierd to have two of the same car in the driveway?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #32
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Well, Geico quoted me at 3,000USD for six months

I've had a minor accident, and 105+ on a 65mph speeding ticket that happened three years ago. Looks like I have to wait two years to hope to get a lower quote (more time to save money, yay).

I did make the bodily injury part 30,000/60,000 - and wasn't sure if that was a good price point to select.

I also checked the B+ average student part, and hoped it would lower the price. Sheesh, $6,000 a year, you were right about the 50% part

EDIT: Crap, sorry for double post (it's really late, and was planning on editing the post prior to this one)
105+ in a 65mph zone probably constituted reckless driving and you weren't arrested? Sorry man, you may take this the wrong way but the insurance company is doing you a favor. I hate to know what you were doing 105+ in but the life you save may be your own, one of ours or my wife and kids.

Yes I was 22 once and I am not dinging you for your age as there are a lot of responsible owners that are your age. However, I mean this sincerely you need to grow up when you have one of these cars, or any car for that matter with over 400hp. When my kids get their first car (some years off, thank the Lord) it will be a Ford Focus or something of the ilk and a high performance driving school.

One day you will have kids yourself and you will see what I am talking about. Once again not dinging you for your age...you could have told me you were 40 and with this kind of a record it would probably be best you didn't get such a fast car until you get it out of your system.

Tell your bro congrats on the Mustang, I feel they are a hell of a car for the money and with just a little more polish I would have bought one over the M.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk

Last edited by Dave07997S; 05-16-2011 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #33
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
105+ in a 65mph zone probably constituted reckless driving and you weren't arrested? Sorry man, you may take this the wrong way but the insurance company is doing you a favor. I hate to know what you were doing 105+ in but the life you save may be your own, one of ours or my wife and kids.

Yes I was 22 once and I am not dinging you for your age as there are a lot of responsible owners that are your age. However, I mean this sincerely you need to grow up when you have one of these cars, or any car for that matter with over 400hp. When my kids get their first car (some years off, thank the Lord) it will be a Ford Focus or something of the ilk and a high performance driving school.

One day you will have kids yourself and you will see what I am talking about. Once again not dinging you for your age...you could have told me you were 40 and with this kind of a record it would probably be best you didn't get such a fast car until you get it out of your system.

Tell your bro congrats on the Mustang, I feel they are a hell of a car for the money and with just a little more polish I would have bought one over the M.

Dave
He didn't really give the circumstances. Maybe he was driving 105 on a straight desert highway with no one around when he got caught? That's a lot different than trying that on a highway around LA...

OP, I think you should go with a Boss 302
      05-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #34
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
He didn't really give the circumstances. Maybe he was driving 105 on a straight desert highway with no one around when he got caught? That's a lot different than trying that on a highway around LA...

OP, I think you should go with a Boss 302

SHEEEEEEIT... a suped up 5.0 for 70k?? HELLS NO. The 5.0 rocks but the stealerships are doing 80% mark ups right now. I recently saw and add for 102k for a Boss 302 LS......... that is plain criminal. I say get the premium 5.0, brembo and track packs and mod the way you see fit.
      05-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #35
DTM-POWER
Debonair
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5, 650hp Evo X

I don't know what all the hating with gieco is about. We saved about 25% switching 7 cars and bikes from allstate to the little lizard last year.
      05-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #36
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Progressive has good rates for high risk/young drivers
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #37
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fool View Post
SHEEEEEEIT... a suped up 5.0 for 70k?? HELLS NO. The 5.0 rocks but the stealerships are doing 80% mark ups right now. I recently saw and add for 102k for a Boss 302 LS......... that is plain criminal. I say get the premium 5.0, brembo and track packs and mod the way you see fit.
There are plenty of Boss 302s for MSRP now, I have had several dealers here even in Los Angeles that have offered me MSRP for a LS Boss. I was one who thought the dealers would be able to get a ADM for the cars, I guess not.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #38
bchang2001
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

i actually just switched from geico (been with them for over 6 years) to AAA. Geico kept changing my 6 month premium from 700 to 900 to 1500 to 1300. in the end they stopped at 1000 hahah. Got a quote with better coverage from AAA at 1700/year. buy a beater and the quote goes down to 1400/year
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #39
tmerr
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3 Comp

It really is amazing the quality of car Ford can put together for the price.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #40
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i agree, i am very impressed with them. and we haven't gotten any in with problems just in for reg service

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmerr View Post
It really is amazing the quality of car Ford can put together for the price.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 04:26 AM   #41
M3Driver92
O1 Ensign
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 e93 335i

What did you end up going with?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #42
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep

I will chime in here now that I have had my 5.0 for a month.

Build quality goes HANDS DOWN to Bmw in EVERY catagorie........ this is not up for debate. Albiet, the new 5.0 is 101% better than my 2001 Bullitt was, but still decades behind BMW.

Safety factor goes to BMW....... you never really realize how much that little computer assists you.... until you dont have it any more.

Fun factor......... I give to the 5.0. I do enjoy really having to "drive" this car. The BMW is a blast to drive and you can drive it at its limits fairly safely, due to all of the cool little computer assist things. When you stomp on the gas in the 5.0....... you best be paying attention. The car commands your attention and respect, dis-respect is met with hard consequences.

Cool factor........ taking into account that I am in Germany...... the Mustang is a cooler car.

My assessment is.......... both cars are great at what they do. Built for 2 completely different drivers, so the comparo tests and line ups are really kind of pointless. Quality is definately a trait FORD could take some lessons on though.

M3 Vs. 5.0??? If you are a die hard Ford fan...... Ford wins, if you are any other kind of car fan... the BMW M3 is the winner.

I have no regrets as I do love driving the 5.0, the sound and power are intoxicating and for less than what half of a full Akra exhaust costs........ I can buy bolt ons to push me well over 500hp.

Hope this helps
      06-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #43
amglol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I've currently got a 2010 GT Premium, loaded.

I just ordered my e90 M3 loaded.

After having the Mustang for over a year, I've got to say that it's a fun car. Track Pack w/ 3.73s helped. It's really a different animal than the M3 though. I wouldn't really attempt to compare the two, although mine was built for much the same purpose as the M3. It really is a track car in my configuration, and was wonderful to drive on twisty roads.

That being said, I see the M3 as a step up at every point.
      06-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #44
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amglol View Post
I've currently got a 2010 GT Premium, loaded.

I just ordered my e90 M3 loaded.

After having the Mustang for over a year, I've got to say that it's a fun car. Track Pack w/ 3.73s helped. It's really a different animal than the M3 though. I wouldn't really attempt to compare the two, although mine was built for much the same purpose as the M3. It really is a track car in my configuration, and was wonderful to drive on twisty roads.

That being said, I see the M3 as a step up at every point.
No offense but the 2010 GT is a nice car but with the older 4.6L it kind of pales in comparison to the 2011's 5.0L. That being said everything else about the car is pretty much the same and your assesment of the M3 vs. the Mustang is pretty much dead on. I almost bought a 2011 GT but after owning 2 E46 M3s and a 07 997S the rest of the Mustang, while light years better than the 05-09 Mustang, just wasn't up to snuff vs. a E9X M3.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0