BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

04-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
Bruck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT Alpine White

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Considering picking up an mk6 gti as a daily driver

Hey guys.

I love my 135 but it isn't truly capable of being my dd due to lack of a hatch for client product deliveries (printers,pcs, etc). Also it sometimes doesn't make the right first impression.

For the past 2 years I've driven a 2000 grand Cherokee as my dd. I have been thinking of picking up a 2010 or 2011 gti to replace the jeep. I know it will not be as useful for snow and wet days, and it also won't help much with my summer camping trips but I think it's time to save some major $$ on gas. (I do about 40k mi per year)

Do any of you have experience in the mk5 or mk6? Thoughts on comfort and such? I only list mk5 because it shares so much with the mk6. (I am def going mk6 for style and engine reasons)

I will get a 4door auto sunroof (hopefully xenon) - rest of details not super important to me because it doesn't have to be my fun car.

Shadow Blue MK6 GTI 4-Dr DSG
Euro OEM Reverse Camera |
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Get a TDI. The GTI is not that far from a 135...(I had a 135I before my GTI). You won't save gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I picked my '11 GTI up about 2 weeks ago and already have 900 miles on it. It is an excellent car, build quality, comfort, refinement, etc are all top notch. I picked mine up with the sunroof, navigation, and xenon headlight package and couldn't be happier.

In the next week or so I'm going to have it flashed with the Revo Technik software, and leave it alone from their.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
Bruck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Haha. It's the 16.5mpg that the jeep gets that I'm hoping to improve. From forums it seems gti will avg 26+?

Can you tell me more about your gti experience?

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
Bruck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
I picked my '11 GTI up about 2 weeks ago and already have 900 miles on it. It is an excellent car, build quality, comfort, refinement, etc are all top notch. I picked mine up with the sunroof, navigation, and xenon headlight package and couldn't be happier.

In the next week or so I'm going to have it flashed with the Revo Technik software, and leave it alone from their.
Nice. Which color? Are u happy with the seats?

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #6
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruck View Post
Haha. It's the 16.5mpg that the jeep gets that I'm hoping to improve. From forums it seems gti will avg 26+?

Can you tell me more about your gti experience?
Well, the GTI has a superb engine, sounds nice. I've had some electrical problems with it. The reason why I bought a GTI is that it was my dream car(yes no ferrari nor Porsche) seen I was a kid I've always wanted an MK2 GTI. Sometimes I do miss the 135 due to it's brute force, RWD, amazing brakes but it ends there. Put it this way if I would have bought the GTI before the 135 I would have never sold a GTI in order to own a 135I. I find the GTI more practical, less attention. The only drawbacks are the weak brakes. massive torque steer and less power(but still has enough power to leave people behind you).

My advice buy a TDI or else you might end up selling the 135, because it will become useless and everything that the 135 does the GTI does it. Or get rid of the 135 get a CPO M3 and get a cheapo Jetta. Or else you will end up with two similar cars. My 135 did cost me 19K more then the GTI....I don't find that the 135 is worth 19K more then a GTI. That's not including the crazy taxes ...just talking base price

I'm not trolling here is my ex 08 135(canadian, reason why I had M-sport), I might get flammed btw I've had both cars. Most people make an upgrade from the GTI to a 1er. In my case I did the opposite(not for financial reasons, I have other cars) but just because the GTI has more bang vs buck

Quote:
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 04-03-2011 at 01:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #7
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Carbon Steel Gray, and the seats are excellent IMO. The DSG is phenomenal too .

Quote:
Nice. Which color? Are u happy with the seats?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 01:19 AM   #8
Bruck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Well, the GTI has a superb engine, sounds nice. I've had some electrical problems with it. The reason why I bought a GTI is that it was my dream car(yes no ferrari nor Porsche) seen I was a kid I've always wanted an MK2 GTI. Sometimes I do miss the 135 due to it's brute force, RWD, amazing brakes but it ends there. Put it this way if I would have bought the GTI before the 135 I would have never sold a GTI in order to own a 135I. I find the GTI more practical, less attention. The only drawbacks are the weak brakes. massive torque steer and less power(but still has enough power to leave people behind you).

My advice buy a TDI or else you might end up selling the 135, because it will become useless and everything that the 135 does the GTI does it. Or get rid of the 135 get a CPO M3 and get a cheapo Jetta. Or else you will end up with two similar cars. My 135did cost me 19K more then the GTI....I don't find that the 135 is worth 19K more then a GTI.

I'm not trolling here is my ex 08 135(canadian, reason why I had M-sport)
[/IMG]

I don't think you're trolling. Thanks for sharing. Nice to hear what you think.

I don't think the gti will turn me against or replace my 135 for a few reasons.

1- my 135 is stick. Gti will be auto. For this alone the BMW will "out fun" on a daily basis.

2- my fiancé doesn't have a car so on the weekends when we have separate places to go- the gti and 1 won't be fighting for just my attention.

Separately I really don't like the idea of depending on diesel. In NJ not every station carries it and sometimes it's cost can outweigh it's mpg advantage, no?

Also to get tdi I have to step down to the golf, giving up some styling, rims, interior upgrades-no?

Also- no jetta, need hatch.

Last edited by Bruck; 04-03-2011 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: Jetta
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #9
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't think you're trolling. Thanks for sharing. Nice to hear what you think.

I don't think the gti will turn me against or replace my 135 for a few reasons.

1- my 135 is stick. Gti will be auto. For this alone the BMW will "out fun" on a daily basis.

2- my fiancé doesn't have a car so on the weekends when we have separate places to go- the gti and 1 won't be fighting for just my attention.

Separately I really don't like the idea of depending on diesel. In NJ not every station carries it and sometimes it's cost can outweigh it's mpg advantage, no?

Also to get tdi I have to step down to the golf, giving up some styling, rims, interior upgrades-no?

Also- no jetta, need hatch.
Yes but IMO anything even a golf is an upgrade from a jeep(I went to test the srt8 what a shitbox). You have a 2000 jeep I think even a mazda 3 is an upgrade. No offense. You're reason to get a second car is to carry boxes and save gas, not drive in style.

The Dsg is pretty good I had a loaner A3 when I brought the a4 to the garage it was fun for the short time that I had it(I know that I would hate it after a few days)

Diesel last longer,more reliable, better resale, way more MPG. Go check out the Golf Sportwagon. Worst comes to worst VW are very nice with OEM+ parts (rims from a Phaeton, Rims from RS4 etc) You can get parts off vortex easily for cheap.

Btw it's your call.

Quote:

Last edited by mtla4; 04-03-2011 at 01:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 02:12 AM   #10
Bruck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Yes but IMO anything even a golf is an upgrade from a jeep(I went to test the srt8 what a shitbox). You have a 2000 jeep I think even a mazda 3 is an upgrade. No offense. You're reason to get a second car is to carry boxes and save gas, not drive in style.

The Dsg is pretty good I had a loaner A3 when I brought the a4 to the garage it was fun for the short time that I had it(I know that I would hate it after a few days)

Diesel last longer,more reliable, better resale, way more MPG. Go check out the Golf Sportwagon. Worst comes to worst VW are very nice with OEM+ parts (rims from a Phaeton, Rims from RS4 etc) You can get parts off vortex easily for cheap.

Btw it's your call.
You mean jetta sportwagen right? I checked that out. Fiancé is begging me not to get a wagon, I already made her move to NJ, she doesn't want to look like a soccer mom.

And yes I know I'm not buying this car for style, but utility- but i have to get in and out of it all day for many years I would like to enjoy it's looks/style as well.

Maybe I need to give the tdi another look in the golf. High 30s mpg would be a nice treat.

Yes I don't like the jeep except that I am used to it's faults and love mucking around in it. Snow especially. Likely I'll put 17 winters on the gti.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 02:15 AM   #11
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You mean jetta sportwagen right? I checked that out. Fiancé is begging me not to get a wagon, I already made her move to NJ, she doesn't want to look like a soccer mom.

And yes I know I'm not buying this car for style, but utility- but i have to get in and out of it all day for many years I would like to enjoy it's looks/style as well.

Maybe I need to give the tdi another look in the golf. High 30s mpg would be a nice treat.

Yes I don't like the jeep except that I am used to it's faults and love mucking around in it. Snow especially. Likely I'll put 17 winters on the gti.
How about 40+ MPG

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 03:48 AM   #12
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Get the GTI, I've test driven it and it's probably one of the best DDs. Like you mentioned, the hatch design allows for fairly good compartment space. The DSG transmission is great. Ample handling and power. Good amount of passenger space.

The only drawbacks I could think of are the design and the throttle lag/turbo lag. When you punch it, it "thinks" a second or two and then lurches forward.

Edit: just noticed you asked for comfort, IMO it was very comfortable. Seats are good and suspension soaks up bumps well.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

You could also take a look at the MINI Countryman Cooper S, better MPG than the Golf, not quite as fast but loads of goodies to make em faster, handles better than the Golf, BMW levels of build quality and you'll also notice a few bits from the 3er in it.

Last edited by MikeyV; 04-03-2011 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

Get the GTI and never look back. Good alternative is a 2009/2010 Audi A4 wagon. Less "wagon" stereotypes with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #15
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
Carbon Steel Gray, and the seats are excellent IMO. The DSG is phenomenal too .
Wife has a Carbon Grey GTI and loves it. As for mpg, well unless fuel is dramatically poorer than in Europe which I doubt then you should easily get an average of 26-28mpg allowing for the difference between US amd Imperial gallons as ours gets 32mpg on average.

The Mk6 is a definite step up quality wise from the Mk5 and in my opinion on par with the 1er.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #16
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

It's probably the ultimate DD for that price range - DSG, quality interior, FWD + sufficient torque, good cargo/passenger room and MPG.

You won't really miss your 135i much unless you track or really push/bully your car.
      04-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #17
Bruck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
It's probably the ultimate DD for that price range - DSG, quality interior, FWD sufficient torque, good cargo/passenger room and MPG.

You won't really miss your 135i much unless you track or really push/bully your car.
Well I don't think I'll miss my 135 cause I'm not getting rid of it. It's my DD (jeep) that I'm selling to get the VW. That's why I don't mind if the gti isn't better than or even as nice as the 1- just "buyer beware" kind of things before pulling the trigger.

Other considerations include:

A4 avant
A3
RDX

Gti just seems most practical (the audi's are pricey and also too "luxury" for what I want.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #18
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

GTI's are awesome. I was getting that car before I got a really good deal on my 128i! Have you driven it yet? Now I am looking at a Golf R to replace my 128i maybe in a few years, or waiting on next gen 1/3 series .
      04-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #19
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

I just something similar myself. I traded my X6 50i for a mini cooper S to have as a DD/city car. The X6 was awesome but i found myself driving the M3 all the time as it is so much fun. The mini S 6-spd is a blast to drive and gets 38 MPG on the highway.

I would have considered the awesome GTI as well but since BMW owns mini I was in/out in an hour with trade/finance.
Attached Images

Last edited by templarklimek; 04-03-2011 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: add image
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #20
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

The mini may be too small for you but it's alot quicker and agile than I thought it would be. A great city car. Way faster than I thought too. cooper S turbo. 180 hp or so, under 2800 pounds I think. Gonna doa tune to about 205hp.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #21
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Was helping a friend buy a car two weeks after I bought my 1er and test drove a brand new GTI Autobahn with DSG and I think had I driven it before I got my 1 the decision would have been really tough. The GTI is just too good of a value and too much fun to overlook.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 01:51 AM   #22
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
The mini may be too small for you but it's alot quicker and agile than I thought it would be. A great city car. Way faster than I thought too. cooper S turbo. 180 hp or so, under 2800 pounds I think. Gonna doa tune to about 205hp.
But not the Countryman it is pretty much the same size as a Golf 6.
Appreciate 0