BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM
Closed Thread

03-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #45
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Dynos for other M3 aftermarket headers showed only very small gains for a stock engine, but pretty decent gains for a Boosted engine.
Would assume these will be the same, unless they managed to do something the others missed?
Guess the ole dyno will tell though.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #46
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick ARH View Post
Hujan, it's pretty clear that the cats seriously affect what the steps are trying to accomplish, which is expansion and anti reversion. Without cats there's a clear gain right off the hit of the throttle.
Our cats are 200 cell metallic and are extremely durable. In short bursts they can handle up to 2800* temperature. They're also 49 State legal and made in the USA. The manufacturer is proprietary information but we've used them exclusively for almost 5 years with a very low failure rate considering some of the obnoxious applications you'll find them on. We've had no reason to look elsewhere. Thanks.

Nick.
Thanks, Nick. I appreciate the response. In that case, it would be interesting to see dynos of the (1) stepped headers with your catless pipes versus (2) your regular headers with catted pipes versus (3) OEM headers with a catless x-pipe. It would be cool to see the influence on torque and power at different rev ranges.

I would also be interested in seeing weights compared to the OEM components your system replaces.

Lastly, I assume your system can work with other mufflers?

Sorry for all the questions. At least I'm bumping your thread, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #47
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

FWIW, I'm skeptical that headers will make much of a difference without larger scale modifications (camshafts, engine size increase etc.). Just from looking at the stock pieces you can tell that they are not cheap to produce and there isn't any reason to think BMW cheaped out or wasn't trying to extract power when designing them. There is a TON of reason to believe that the extremely high cell count and narrow primary cats are the major restriction in stock form. So really I think we already found the bang for the buck in terms of exhaust side restriction.

With that said ARH is correct in saying that the OEM is under restriction of other factors when they produce headers, namely emmisions. So I'm sure there is some power to be had... Especially in cars that flow significantly more than stock (supercharged, stroked, etc.) In any case having more parts available for the S65 is always a good thing so I will definitely follow the progression of this thread!

P.S. Of course the head on the S65 is impressive?! It makes essentially the same power as a Coyote engine but with 20% less displacement. Hell even a Honda K20 head from 12 years ago is as impressive as a Coyote.

Last edited by WhatsADSM; 03-28-2015 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 06:41 PM   #48
Nick ARH
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by squartus View Post
Dynos for other M3 aftermarket headers showed only very small gains for a stock engine, but pretty decent gains for a Boosted engine.
Would assume these will be the same, unless they managed to do something the others missed?
Guess the ole dyno will tell though.
The old saying applies, you can run but you can't hide. It won't be long before quite a few of these systems are bolted up and tested.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #49
Nick ARH
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
FWIW, I'm skeptical that headers will make much of a difference without larger scale modifications (camshafts, engine size increase etc.). Just from looking at the stock pieces you can tell that they are not cheap to produce and there isn't any reason to think BMW cheaped out or wasn't trying to extract power when designing them. There is a TON of reason to believe that the extremely high cell count and narrow primary cats are the major restriction in stock form. So really I think we already found the bang for the buck in terms of exhaust side restriction.

With that said ARH is correct in saying that the OEM is under restriction of other factors when they produce headers, namely emmisions. So I'm sure there is some power to be had... Especially in cars that flow significantly more than stock (supercharged, stroked, etc.) In any case having more parts available for the S65 is always a good thing so I will definitely follow the progression of this thread!

P.S. Of course the head on the S65 is impressive?! It makes essentially the same power as a Coyote engine but with 20% less displacement. Hell even a Honda K20 head from 12 years ago is as impressive as a Coyote.
Your last paragraph pretty much sums up my point. Tons of cylinder head bolted to an engine that thrives at high RPM, breathing thru a shorty style set of headers where emissions must be taken into consideration equals major compromises. We, as header manufacturers, don't have that handicap. We take what the chassis give us and we build the best headers we can and one we know clearly works.

Nick
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #50
saxonb
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M Carbonschwarz

Hi Nick.

Any ideas if your headers and will fit RHD?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:17 AM   #51
Nick ARH
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonb View Post
Hi Nick.

Any ideas if your headers and will fit RHD?
Saxon, believe it or not we got our first order this weekend from a forum member with RHD. When designing these headers we built the left side first and then made the right side a mirror image. It's very possible they will work if the steering shaft is routedin a mirror image to LHD cars.

Obviously I'm anxious to know for sure as I'm sure many of these cars are RHD. We will know soon. I'm pretty confident they will work. Thanks.

Nick
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #52
6ab6ab
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 Lemans blue

Hello Nick welcome to the forums,

I just have a quick question, My car is NA and i already have a full exhaust setup, i was wondering if for example i bought your headers only would it fit with the rest of my exhaust or do i have to buy the xpipe to? because probably a lot people on this forum already have full exhausts and are not willing to throw away the xpipes that they already paid for.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #53
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ab6ab View Post
Hello Nick welcome to the forums,

I just have a quick question, My car is NA and i already have a full exhaust setup, i was wondering if for example i bought your headers only would it fit with the rest of my exhaust or do i have to buy the xpipe to? because probably a lot people on this forum already have full exhausts and are not willing to throw away the xpipes that they already paid for.
I would like to know as well. I have test pipes and BPM stage 2 tune. If I buy the headers, do I have to remove my stock xpipe with the test pipes? And could i still use my remus rear section with the new xpipe? I'm assuming I would cause the long tubest would take place of the test pipes. Still need more clarification.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:30 PM   #54
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Have you guys not looked at the pics? They're long tubes which will require the short x pipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:45 PM   #55
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
JFC. This is a 3" Exhaust system. Your whole setup is 2.5". Math, do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #56
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
JFC. This is a 3" Exhaust system. Your whole setup is 2.5". Math, do it.
ding ding winner winner chicken dinner😄
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #57
Nick ARH
Banned
Rep

Guys yes they are long tubes and although we feel there's something you may be giving up by using other brands, we can supply headers with a short pair of connection pipes that you could splice your system into.
The reason we'd prefer you to use our X is because of where it's located and the fact that it's 3". Of course if your X is located in the same spot and it's 3" why not reuse it. I don't have a problem with offering the headers with a pair of short 3" connection pipes if reusing your aftermarket exhaust is desired. Let me know how we can help you. Thanks.

Nick

Forgot to mention that our long system is also available up to your muffler system at the ball/socket connections in front of the rear axle. It's a direct fit.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 09:00 PM   #58
madru17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

so you could make me this header to bolt up to my challenge xpipe
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 09:04 PM   #59
madru17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

btw i have your ARH long tubes on my e55 and its amazing
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 06:41 AM   #60
saxonb
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M Carbonschwarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick ARH View Post
Saxon, believe it or not we got our first order this weekend from a forum member with RHD. When designing these headers we built the left side first and then made the right side a mirror image. It's very possible they will work if the steering shaft is routedin a mirror image to LHD cars.

Obviously I'm anxious to know for sure as I'm sure many of these cars are RHD. We will know soon. I'm pretty confident they will work. Thanks.

Nick
Thanks Nick.

Can I keep my Eisenmann axle back, or will there be a drawback to this?

Also your website seems to be charging only $200 for the cats. Is this right?

Pretty pics here for people as well:

Drives: 2010 E70 X5M Carbonschwarz
Loved and lost: 07 E92 M3 Silverstone II / 96 E36 M3 Evo Estoril Blue / 07 E84 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos Blue

Last edited by saxonb; 03-30-2015 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #61
Nick ARH
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madru17 View Post
so you could make me this header to bolt up to my challenge xpipe
Madru, I can't make them fit directly to any brand of aftermarket exhaust unless the connection is made in front of the rear axle ball/socket connections. Anything forward of that is more than likely designed to connect to the factory manifold. Our headers end far further back than that. To connect our headers to any aftermarket X-pipe, other than our own, some fab work will be required.
Since we plan to offer our "headers only" package with a short pair of 3" connection pipes, making the connection to your existing X will be far easier. We're in the process of generating part numbers for header only packages as we speak. Thanks again for all inquiries.

Nick
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #62
Nick ARH
Banned
Rep

Saxon, I appreciate you putting up the photo's of the various options we offer. Yes, you can connect to your existing Eisenmann axle back to our system. If the connection is made at the ball/socket connections in front of the rear axle it'll be a direct fit. Thanks.

Nick
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #63
CIFUM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Hmmm "headers only" package might seem like an attainable goal for me!
M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:40 PM   #64
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
So, if I recall, a header change on this car requires a complete removal of the engine?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #65
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
So, if I recall, a header change on this car requires a complete removal of the engine?
Supposedly you can just drop the front subframe for the install.
      03-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #66
Jesus E90 M3
Private First Class
Jordan
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIFUM3 View Post
Hmmm "headers only" package might seem like an attainable goal for me!

Me too cant wait...
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread