BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #23
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
You might end up really appreciating that little red-blue knob then. You put it on blue it will always blow cool air even when the heater is on. Once you get used to it, the hvac is really quite nice and efficient.
Yah now that i know the temperature controls for the temperature dial and the red/blue dial are independent I can utilize the HVAC better.

I AM impressed with how fast warm air is pumped out on a cold morning though

and to reply to some of the other comments above. I do like the M Drive (steering/throttle/EDC) options, it lets me switch between a twitchier mode for spirited driving and a more sluggish mode for sitting in LA death traffic half asleep on the daily commute
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #24
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I totally understand your feeling regarding the disconnected feel in the M3. This is something you can totally change if you want to spend some money. A good set of coilover suspension and grippier tires with stiffer sidewalls will work wonders.

The steering did feel artificial at first too but I am used to it. I actually prefer to run it in normal steering mode rather than sport for performance driving. It is easier to counter steer when the rear comes out with the lighter steering. The sport setting feels artificially stiff to me. I have driven the Cayman S before and it is way better. The steering in my old Evo was better too... but the M3 is not bad. What it lacks in feel, it makes up in precision. The M3 has a great neutral initial turn in.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #25
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post

- I don’t like the electric steering assist, at low speeds it feels over boosted and at high speeds it feels artificially heavy. Servotronic sports mode helps slightly but still not as good as I expected.
The M3 does not have an electric steering assist. It still is a good old fashioned hydraulic system.

It does feel a bit light at low speeds, but the feedback increases with increased speed. Installing camber plates did wonders to the steering feel on my car. I totaly love it now .
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #26
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Good review and congrats on the sweet car!!!

I agree the shifter isn't impressive. I'm cool with the steering feel however, solid. Maybe with more driving you'll be ok with it. And the engine sound...magic, I agree. I drive with the windows down unless its raining
      12-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #27
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
The M3 does not have an electric steering assist. It still is a good old fashioned hydraulic system.

It does feel a bit light at low speeds, but the feedback increases with increased speed. Installing camber plates did wonders to the steering feel on my car. I totaly love it now .
LOL, you know i specifically googled M3 steering prior to my OP to make sure it WAS electronic power assisted but i guess the info i read was wrong

What's an even bigger brain fart is that i KNOW where the power steering fluid reservoir is too

Either way I still think the steering feels off but i will probably grow to like it in time.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #28
///Montreal3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3

Agree with you on the Contis; they're crap and are by far the worst of the 3 possible brands that come installed on new M3s from the factory. Vast improvements can be had by switching to Michelin PSS. Even if you stick to OEM sizes, the difference will be night and day.

Enjoy safely and in good health.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #29
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
I totally understand your feeling regarding the disconnected feel in the M3. This is something you can totally change if you want to spend some money. A good set of coilover suspension and grippier tires with stiffer sidewalls will work wonders.

The steering did feel artificial at first too but I am used to it. I actually prefer to run it in normal steering mode rather than sport for performance driving. It is easier to counter steer when the rear comes out with the lighter steering. The sport setting feels artificially stiff to me. I have driven the Cayman S before and it is way better. The steering in my old Evo was better too... but the M3 is not bad. What it lacks in feel, it makes up in precision. The M3 has a great neutral initial turn in.
Yah most things can be remedied with aftermarket parts. It feels more like the springs are underperforming than the shocks.
      12-16-2012, 02:26 AM   #30
canadian stig
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

totally agree with you on everything. And yes i definitely felt the steering numbness relative to my old 370z. Putting the steering in sport mode does make it a bit heavier and more linear feeling, but it still doesn't communicate that much what the front wheels are doing.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #31
sin911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

OP, I agree with you a 100% on every comment, both Cons and Pros. I really don't care about the A/C though
      12-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #32
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
LOL, you know i specifically googled M3 steering prior to my OP to make sure it WAS electronic power assisted but i guess the info i read was wrong

What's an even bigger brain fart is that i KNOW where the power steering fluid reservoir is too

Either way I still think the steering feels off but i will probably grow to like it in time.
You will likely not ever grow to like it. I have modded my 2009 M3 with Dinan Stage III with lots of negative camber, front monoballs, engine strut braces and Advan Neova AD08s. Sure I have better turn-in and flatter cornering. BUT the steering feedback and feel still is not ever going to be special. Nothing like my EVO VIII MR, or a Cayman/Boxster, Lotus, etc.

That is because the car is too heavy, and BMW designed a POS steering rack system with overboosted hydraulic power steering. Anyone who feels the steering is commensurate with the beauty of the engine, or with the expense and reputation of the car in general is delusional and in need of medical help.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #33
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
You will likely not ever grow to like it. I have modded my 2009 M3 with Dinan Stage III with lots of negative camber, front monoballs, engine strut braces and Advan Neova AD08s. Sure I have better turn-in and flatter cornering. BUT the steering feedback and feel still is not ever going to be special. Nothing like my EVO VIII MR, or a Cayman/Boxster, Lotus, etc.

That is because the car is too heavy, and BMW designed a POS steering rack system with overboosted hydraulic power steering. Anyone who feels the steering is commensurate with the beauty of the engine, or with the expense and reputation of the car in general is delusional and in need of medical help.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #34
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think my issue with the steering is that when i accelerate into/out of a turn i expect the steering wheel to "fight back." For example if i am making a right turn the steering wheel should be wanting to spin counter clockwise.

Also, the turn in is so quick that i have to get use to it.
Appreciate 0