BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #45
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcdesigns View Post
Mine was very notchy feeling when new and I was disappointed because this was my first BMW manual. I'd always read about how smooth BMW manuals were and this was anything but. Now with 5k miles it feels very smooth but from 1-2 and 2-1 it's still a bit stubborn feeling so I've never try to force it. In my old 350z the trannny was notchy as well and changing to Royal Purple, as many do in those cars, worked wonders. I hope one of you guys try it out and report back. If it works... problem solved. To me this feel like lubrication issue…
I had the same feeling when I got my E46 M3 and coming from a S2000 IMO has a very smooth quick shifts. When I got my E46 M3 I felt like I was driving a truck. My E90 M3 feels a little better than my E46 but then again I have 950 miles on it. Waiting for the 1200 mile service. Hopefully we will see if someone will add some aftermarket tranny fluid and see if it works.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #46
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini330zhp View Post
Hopefully we will see if someone will add some aftermarket tranny fluid and see if it works.
I've had great experience with Redline's MTL (manual transmission lubricant) in other cars. It seemed to provide both better smoothness (less knotch) and better synchronizer action. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it in the M3 E9x.

Dave
      04-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #47
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989baby View Post
It's happened to me a couple times. I dodn't wanna say anything because I thought you guys would call it inexperience But I just take about .5 seconds longer on my 1st-2nd gear shifts and no more grind

I think the problem is definately releasing the clutch too fast, which happened to me a lot of time when the car was new. I often got over excited at 7500+ rpm and released the clutch too early.

calm down and took a fraction of a sec more when shifting from 1st to 2nd, it def helps.. Good luck, practice makes perfect!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #48
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Add me to the list too. It has happened to me about 4 times now and I have about 2,000 miles, it is ALWAYS a full throttle redline 1st to 2nd shift, clutch fully depressed and then GRIND.

On a side note, the nicest shifter I have ever had was on my 2005.5 Audi S4. The second best was my Z06. The Z06 was a little nothcy, but it was direct and without and rubbery feeling whatsoever.

The BMW one, doesn't make it into my "nice" list at all. Rather disappointing really
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #49
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

I have the same issue with my car....I notice no issue in any other gear and its very rare on the 1-2. I dont think its a bad synchro as I dont notice at any other point in the rpm range or while downshifting from third (rev match) at a high rpm. I was thinking it could be attributable to weak motor mounts. The motor generates alot of twist under hard acceleration in first. If you are very deliberate and rough with the 1-2 shift its fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #50
jdogg2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Carrera GTS

Add me to the list of people this has happened to. Releasing the clutch has nothing to do with it... it happens when you throw the shifter into second after the clutch is to the floor. Probably's happened to me about 5 times since I got the car four months ago. Everytime it happens, my gf says "you have to push the clutch down all the way before you shift!". Hello, this is my third MT car in a row... not like I'm a noob at driving stick hahah.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #51
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SSII e90

chiming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg2000 View Post
Add me to the list of people this has happened to. Releasing the clutch has nothing to do with it... it happens when you throw the shifter into second after the clutch is to the floor. Probably's happened to me about 5 times since I got the car four months ago. Everytime it happens, my gf says "you have to push the clutch down all the way before you shift!". Hello, this is my third MT car in a row... not like I'm a noob at driving stick hahah.
Yup, that's it. Both the symptom and the third-party reaction. Nice to know I have so much company. I now just wait it out (going into second), but often have to blip the throttle to match the revs again. Rev-matching on the up shift? That's right.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 02:58 AM   #52
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I experience this problem almost every time I redline it from 1st to 2nd and I shift fast. It's like I have to shift slower or it'll grind like crazy.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 05:27 AM   #53
GTAStradale
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL

Ok, I am glad to see these comments since it seems we all have it (6MT).

Actually, I have an answer to this. Soft engine mountings!

My father was a racing driver, and he always used to change engine mountings to heavy duty ones. Basically what it does - reduces the movements of the engine in the engine bay (at the expense of the comfort, because you feel the engine movement heavily in the car). On the other note, the engine itself is more "fixed" in the engine bay and doesnt move a lot, therefore resulting in easier shifts.

So when these mountings are "soft" if the surface is a slightly uneven, sometimes its difficult to get a right gear, and also on a high RPMs, when you release the clutch the engine moves.

It is really annoying. I was even planning to write a letter to M Gmbh, since it is highly disappointing that it happens on the M3. Too much comfort in this car....
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #54
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAStradale View Post
Ok, I am glad to see these comments since it seems we all have it (6MT)....
I don't have this problem.

Dave
      04-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #55
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAStradale View Post
Ok, I am glad to see these comments since it seems we all have it (6MT).

Actually, I have an answer to this. Soft engine mountings!

My father was a racing driver, and he always used to change engine mountings to heavy duty ones. Basically what it does - reduces the movements of the engine in the engine bay (at the expense of the comfort, because you feel the engine movement heavily in the car). On the other note, the engine itself is more "fixed" in the engine bay and doesnt move a lot, therefore resulting in easier shifts.

So when these mountings are "soft" if the surface is a slightly uneven, sometimes its difficult to get a right gear, and also on a high RPMs, when you release the clutch the engine moves.

It is really annoying. I was even planning to write a letter to M Gmbh, since it is highly disappointing that it happens on the M3. Too much comfort in this car....

I was thinking the same thing in regards to the motor mounts. From what I understand the stock ones are the same ones out of a E36/E46 M3 which cannot handle the power of the V8. I noticed I experience the grind under load in a turn or when the motor is loaded up heavily. I am thinking of giving them a shot.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #56
PorscheRacer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Sedan

I find the 1-2 shift notchy for sure but I don't get a grind. I have actually missed the shift from 1-2 by pulling too much to the left and the shifter enters the reverse gate area. It doesn't try to engage reverse because I don't push forward but it has caused me to miss 2nd. This is especially true if making a right turn at the same time. I don't know if that is soft motor mounts or just my body leaning in the turn.

I find that this shifter likes very light action. It can be shifted very quickly but it seems to work best with fingertip shifting.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 03:36 AM   #57
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Happened to me yesterday.

Over the course of 13,000 miles, it's occured way too many times. It's unfortunate in my opinion that BMW went with the ZF tranny in this car over the 6 Speed Getrag unit that is present in the E46 m3. IMO, it's a much more well suited tranny.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #58
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3

check this out! New update on my grinding issue....

It looks like BMW is saying to replace the transmission, clutch, flywheel, and the clutch pedal compression spring.

Look at the picture below of the clutch pedal springs. The top spring assembly is the original part shipped with the car. The bottom assembly is the new part with 2 springs instead of 1. Could this be the cause of grind? I will let you form your own opinions....

I know many people take these clutch pedal spring assemblies out....

Pictures courtesy of BMW and the crappy iphone camera.
Attached Images

05-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #59
John@BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNEDM3 View Post
I was thinking the same thing in regards to the motor mounts. From what I understand the stock ones are the same ones out of a E36/E46 M3 which cannot handle the power of the V8. I noticed I experience the grind under load in a turn or when the motor is loaded up heavily. I am thinking of giving them a shot.

I was thinking along the same lines... I know in the older m3s, when you had bad motor mount or trans mounts the drivetrain would move so much that you end up going from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to 4th on hard driving- usually the main reason for the 'money shift'

You say that the drivetrain mounts are the same for the e36/46? I wonder if i can retrofit some urethane mounts or something for an older m3 into the e9x... I will look into this today.
      05-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #60
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post
check this out! New update on my grinding issue.....
Very interesting. Thanks for the pics and info.

Dave
      05-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #61
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SSII e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post
Me too.

How on earth did you convince them that something might be wrong? I get the wonderful and universal "nothing's wrong" answer when I try to argue my case.

Think this could possibly become lines for a recall? That would be nice...
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #62
John@BMW
Rep

I did not have to do too much convincing other than test drive the car with a tech in the pass. seat, let other m3 owners/employees test drive the car and see what they said. Everyone comes back saying what is wrong with 2nd gear...

BMW handled the situation very well from there. There was no fight or extended conversation about it.

more pictures
Attached Images

05-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #63
ADubM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

banging or grinding gears all of the time. don't worry. you'll know when something is really wrong. my experience with MT's (which is all that I've ever owned) is it doesn't get gradually bad but it will go out on you all of the sudden.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #64
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post
I did not have to do too much convincing other than test drive the car with a tech in the pass. seat, let other m3 owners/employees test drive the car and see what they said. Everyone comes back saying what is wrong with 2nd gear...

BMW handled the situation very well from there. There was no fight or extended conversation about it.

more pictures
How often was your car doing it? Mine is real sporatic. Wonder if I should mention it at my next service.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #65
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
How often was your car doing it? Mine is real sporatic. Wonder if I should mention it at my next service.
I would. Just to get it noted on the service documents for "future reference" in case needed. No harm in mentioning it and having them look at it....
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #66
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I'm thinking about mentioning this as well. I'm just scared someone may mess up on the install . You worried about this John? The feeling that even though this problem may be cured, the car may never feel the same again?

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0