BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

06-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Swirl marks - time frame, general questions

A general question about swirl marks.

I had my car very lightly polished when new as part of the delivery detail. It was done by a good detailer, not my stealer. It was pretty flawless. The car is not just over 1 year old. I wash it about every 2-3 weeks (stays fairly clean here in So Cal), use good products, use two buckets and am fairly meticulous. I'm obviously not a pro but try to take the best care of my baby as possible without going totally overboard. The car has jetseal and wax, but I only get around to that every few months. Here is the unfortunate part:

I can see definitive "swirl marks". They are not actually swirls but very light horizontal scratching. They follow the lines of my wash mit and are most visible along the rear "quarter panels". They are only visible in very bright sunlight at certain angles.

1. Is this essentially unavoidable?
2. Any tips to reduce it?
3. Could this be in the wax/sealer and not in the clear coat?
4. Any rough recommendations on a polish schedule? I'd imagine it just depends on how long you can deal with it.

Car is Space Grey.

Thanks much.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 06 Denali, 53Ford F100

You said it yourself, the problem is the wash mitts......These mitts are the major cause for hairline scratches due to the fact that the debris hangs on to the mitts fibers. I highly recommend using a grout sponge, highly tested and proven to reduce these self inflicted scratches due to the mitts......

Dave @ Innovative Detailing
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovative Detailing View Post
You said it yourself, the problem is the wash mitts......These mitts are the major cause for hairline scratches due to the fact that the debris hangs on to the mitts fibers. I highly recommend using a grout sponge, highly tested and proven to reduce these self inflicted scratches due to the mitts......

Dave @ Innovative Detailing
Great tip. I've got a lot of these around from all my tile work. I even rinse/squeeze the mitt pretty extensively between passes. I guess it isn't enough. I have noted their ability to trap particles. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Bump.

Any other pro's that recommend a grout sponge?

Can anyone answer my numbered questions?

Thanks much.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

I am not a pro so here is my feedback for whatever it is worth:

I have always washed by M3 with wool mitts (and 2 buckets). I wash every 2nd week and my M3 is 1yr old. I have not found any straight line scratches such as these that you describe or any swirl marks. There are other issues on the hood (rock chips, clear coat being lightly damaged from bird crap that was not removed promptly etc) but no swirl marks or scratches anywhere.

Admitedly it is difficult to see on AW (which is anyway heavily orange peeled ) but on the shiny black CF roof I would have easily noticed.

For me using (lambs)whool mits is the way to go as they are the softest you can get and seem to absorb the dirt pretty well between passes. Specifically I use the Sonus Ultimate Wool Wash Mitt from Autopia.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

I have a Jerez Black and the occasional swirl mark is going to happen. I would use two buckets, one with just rinse water and a dirt guard on the botom. Rinse the mitt after every pass in the water bucket and scrape it on the dirt guard. I start at the top of the car and work my way down. I have a sperate mitt that I use on the lower parts of the body panels. Using a foam gun after rinsing off the loose dirt will add more lubrication to the wash.

I bought a random orbital polisher that does a great job at getting the small scratches out of the clear coat. I already have a small arsenal of detailing products. Get some good clay and use it before you seal and wax which should be about every three months.

I would also be interested in hearing from any of the pros about the grout sponge. I would not even think about using one that has ever seen grout though.