BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

03-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Akra Evo vs. Dinan exhaust

Comparison of Akrapovic Evolution Titanium Exhaust vs. Dinan Full Catless Stainless Exhaust.

Which do you prefer, based purely on sound?

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL

Last edited by ortho281; 03-03-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

I had both setups, akra will always have the weight saving advantage. Both units No drone. Akra boomy at low Rpm Dinan quiet at low and wakes up at higher rpm. Both are great setups. Dinan is catless but akra has hfc

Sorry I forgot to answer your question . Judging by sound Dinan is my preference

Last edited by Chriskm3; 03-02-2013 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
I had both setups, akra hill always have the weight saving advantage. Both units No drone. Akra boomy at low Rpm Dinan quiet at low and wakes up at higher rpm. Both are great setups. Dinan is catless but akra has hfc
That's a very accurate assessment Sir!

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

This was a good comparison.....temps were in the mid to upper 40's. We thought about adding a stock exhaust to the video but waited to late to do it. Great idea Paul.....glad I could assist...................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

Dinan sounds better...
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

I prefer the dinan too.

And the lines of the rear bumper really pop on the silver compared to the white.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

That dinan sounds mean! Way better than the akra in that vid.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
This was a good comparison.....temps were in the mid to upper 40's. We thought about adding a stock exhaust to the video but waited to late to do it. Great idea Paul.....glad I could assist...................Phil
Phil, I think most will agree, the Dinan sounds better! I just love the raspy sound the Catless Dinan makes. I wonder if the Akra would sound more raspy without the secondary cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms372 View Post
Dinan sounds better...
Agree! I'm a bit jealous now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
I prefer the dinan too.

And the lines of the rear bumper really pop on the silver compared to the white.
Anyone with a Dinan willing to trade? Anyone? Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
That dinan sounds mean! Way better than the akra in that vid.
Love the sound the Dinan Catless makes! Score: Akra 0, Dinan 4

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
They both sound amazing. Can't really go wrong with either. Dinan is a little louder and more raspy, because of catless
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep
Drives: X5D

Dinan
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

The Akrapovic, being titanium, sounds way better once you get it warmed up. It sounds very hollow and raspy before it gets some heat into it.

I find that free revs are a really poor indicator of how the exhaust will sound once you actually get on it under load. I'm a big fan of the smooth Akrapovic note, once the pipes are warmed up and I'm not hearing that at all in the video.

The Dinan sounds pretty raspy to me, which I'm not a fan of. (that said, I have an Innotech and they are crazy raspy in a good way)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
In that video Dinan for sure!
Cool Vid, thanks for posting

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Thanks for this video. My Dinan/Vanguard combo sounds very much like the Akra. The thing I dislike about the Titanium is that when I have the windows down, I can hear that "tinny" or "lightness" sound the lighter exhausts have. Don't get me wrong, it still sounds good, but I've been thinking about making change. I'm just having a hard time giving up the fantastic look of the Vanguard. In my opinion, the Dinan and AA exhaust look terrible from the rear.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

I don't like either that much. My opinion of course! I think I'm becoming sensitive to raspiness at time goes on
      03-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #15
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE92M3 View Post
They both sound amazing. Can't really go wrong with either. Dinan is a little louder and more raspy, because of catless
I do think they both sound good. But I think the Akra could be a little less bassy and a little more raspy. IMO that would make it the perfect exhaust! Light weight, good looks and great sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati Beastcat View Post
Dinan
Based purely on sound? Agree!

Sound: Dinan
Looks: Akra
Weight: Akra
Cost: Dinan

Looks like we have a tie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
The Akrapovic, being titanium, sounds way better once you get it warmed up. It sounds very hollow and raspy before it gets some heat into it.

I find that free revs are a really poor indicator of how the exhaust will sound once you actually get on it under load. I'm a big fan of the smooth Akrapovic note, once the pipes are warmed up and I'm not hearing that at all in the video.

The Dinan sounds pretty raspy to me, which I'm not a fan of. (that said, I have an Innotech and they are crazy raspy in a good way)
That's true! The Akra does sound a bit tinny (hollow) when cold. I'm a fan of raspy, but I still like the Akra for looks, weight and decent sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
In that video Dinan for sure!
Cool Vid, thanks for posting
Thanks! Dinan seems to be the clear favorite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
Thanks for this video. My Dinan/Vanguard combo sounds very much like the Akra. The thing I dislike about the Titanium is that when I have the windows down, I can hear that "tinny" or "lightness" sound the lighter exhausts have. Don't get me wrong, it still sounds good, but I've been thinking about making change. I'm just having a hard time giving up the fantastic look of the Vanguard. In my opinion, the Dinan and AA exhaust look terrible from the rear.

Agree! I think the stainless pipes makes better sound due to thicker metal. I don't mind the look of the Dinan. The Akra does however look better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi View Post
I don't like either that much. My opinion of course! I think I'm becoming sensitive to raspiness at time goes on
Sounds like you might prefer the Borla Sport exhaust with a much deeper tone!

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #16
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Let me just add a quick note that our photographer and others behind the cars didn't notice. The Dinan exhaust only has 2 active tips and that has been a long discussion on this and other forums. So I guess we should officially put that to bed now considering that people standing directly behind the exhaust on a cold morning didn't even notice . After the video I made everyone aware of this small fact and the only person that knew it was Paul......the other car...........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me just add a quick note that our photographer and others behind the cars didn't notice. The Dinan exhaust only has 2 active tips and that has been a long discussion on this and other forums. So I guess we should officially put that to bed now considering that people standing directly behind the exhaust on a cold morning didn't even notice . After the video I made everyone aware of this small fact and the only person that knew it was Paul......the other car...........Phil
+1 Dinan did a good job! Most people would not notice. Sound is what matters. But everyone's taste is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Dinan sounds better, Akra looks better. I solved the problem by running the Akra exhaust with the Dinan x-pipe.
Sounds like you have the best of both exhaust! The Akra looks and the dinan sound? I would like to hear this Akra/Dinan combo. Care to post your vid here?

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
e92involved
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3

Few questions: Why are you guys not letting the cars warm up? Also, why are you comparing one catless setup and one non-catless setup?
      03-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92involved View Post
Few questions: Why are you guys not letting the cars warm up? Also, why are you comparing one catless setup and one non-catless setup?
This was a spur of the moment idea since several people through out the day had been asking about different exhaust. This wasn't meant to be a defining moment for these 2 exhaust. Just a quick video for those that are interested........Phil
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
e92involved
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3

Quote:
This was a spur of the moment idea since several people through out the day had been asking about different exhaust. This wasn't meant to be a defining moment for these 2 exhaust. Just a quick video for those that are interested........Phil
I figured. To be honest I liked the Dinan better lol had a resentment for about 5 minutes
      03-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #21
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1

Quote:
I figured. To be honest I liked the Dinan better lol had a resentment for about 5 minutes
I'm still having resentment issues! Sorry I did a poor job of representing the Akra guys! Phil, you and Dinan won this one!

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #22
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's ......we Dinan drives will still let you roll with us ..............Phil
Appreciate 0