BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

04-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

4k mile round trip -- MI to FL including Homestead, Velos, Tail of the Dragon.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
For as long as I've frequented forums I've enjoyed seeing pictures and reading details from road trips, track days, Euro deliveries, and other adventures. While I suspect that I'm not alone in this regard, to date I've not "given back" and shared my own experiences of the same sort for a couple of reasons. First, I've never been the picture/video type. My philosophy has always been that obsessing about taking pictures and/or video while involved in something memorable and impermanent detracts from the real experience itself. Nothing grates me more than the interruption of a fleeting event/moment with the inevitable "can we take a picture?!?!" and "Oh my god! There's an xyz! where's my camera!? Where's my camera!!??"… Secondly, I'm probably self-absorbed and lazy.

Well, this time around I chose to do the opposite of my norm. Accompanied by my relatively new iPhone, I committed to documenting the trip. I'm happy that I did.

It's a drive that I've done a few times before -- Michigan to Bonita Springs, Florida. About 1500 miles straight down I75. I've made the trip previously with my E39 M5, a 335xi, and this was my first time with the M3. (Long story short on the comparison front -- by the time I reached Georgia I was yearning for the relative comfort and quiet of the M5, on my 5th gas stop I was reminiscing about the 335's 400+ mile range, and after my first lap at Homestead in the M3 I wasn't thinking about either.)

I have no pics from the trip down as it was fairly unremarkable. Oh, and for about the first 500 miles I was in a god damn multi-state deluge that required my total concentration. Not just a rain shower, but raining buckets… like, I could barely hear my radio with the rain hitting the windshield… for 500 miles. This threw my timing off, sent my blood pressure up, and I got stuck in both Dayton and 'Natti morning rush hour traffic.

Did snap a pic of the on board computer trip summary once I was nearing my destination. Not bad on the mileage and average speed. I find the mileage average to be perhaps a bit optimistic, but not by much. Arrival ended up being about midnight, and I departed that morning at 3:00 a.m., so about 21 hours, which is pretty good considering the first 1/3 of my trip was slowed significantly due to weather and traffic.

Not a lot of photos to share from Bonita Springs/Naples over the first few days, but I did make it to Naples Motorsports where they had one of these… EPIC in person. The 458 Italia, SL65 Black and other exotics in the showroom might as well have not been there.

After a few days it was off to Miami Beach for a couple of nights with my fiancé. Beautiful, vibrant place…

Never a shortage of exotics in Miami Beach…

Lineup outside Smith and Wolensky at South Pointe -- S63 AMG, E63 AMG, Bentley Flying Spur Speed, SLS AMG Vert. First time I'd seen the SLS in person. Way better than in pictures, in my opinion. Wish I had a better picture of it in particular, but the valets were eyeing me, so this is all I got.

On my way out of Miami back to the west coast, we made a stop at Velos Designwerks for a tune. Details can be read here: Got the Velos Designwerks tune.

Two days later it was track time at Homestead. Up early for a blast back across Alligator Alley.

Approaching and arriving at Homestead… out of my mind with excitement. I love track days, and this was my first time out after the Michigan winter.

Some serious machinery on hand as would be expected at a track that is a stop for many race organizations. Advanced group looked like a Rolex race with some Nascar sprinkled in.

Driver's meeting.

These fellas were running in the Intermediate group (http://ngtmotorsport.com/). I got buzzed by them more times than I can count… good god they were fast. Difficult to describe -- missiles basically. Cannot truly appreciate unless you're on track with them.

Picture from the garage between sessions. Very cool that they open these up for use during the event. Would have been a hot and draining day out in the sun otherwise.

1M.

I only filmed one session, and this was my only uninterrupted lap of the session. Not my best lap, not my worst. Having never been to Homestead I was kind of freestyling it, experimenting with lines. This was also my first time on track with the M3, and it held up really well. I did all 5 25 minute sessions. No issues whatsoever, and my "Stage 1" brake upgrade from EAS did the job. I wasn't crazy about how my Contis performed. They were definitely a limiting factor. Really quite an advanced Intermediate group. I got the impression that most were track regulars, and my M3 was probably the most stock vehicle in the group. Seemingly everyone had coilovers, tires, bbk, etc.

Great event overall, and I really liked the track. I'll look to return sometime next year.

After the event it was back to Bonita, and then time to head for home a few days later.

Rather than drive straight thru on my return trip, for the first time I contemplated stopping at the halfway point. My family, worried about my potential fatigue, has long suggested that I do so. I was resistant to the idea at first, and then it occurred to me… isn't there a famous motorcycle road in Tennessee somewhere? Ah yes, the "Tail of the Dragon." Looked into it and realized that it's only about 50 miles east of I75. With that I decided that I would stop for the night, and see what this road was all about first thing in the morning..

The next morning I awoke in Ooltewah, TN. (Yes, you read that right. Ooltewah, FTW.) From there I headed up I75 20-30 miles, and took an exit into the shockingly beautiful Tennessee backcountry.

Sunrise.

Few pictures en route.

Arrival at 129.

The route/road on the nav. The plan was to take it all the way to the North Carolina border, then turn around and head for home. 318 turns in 11 miles I think it is.

On 129 heading toward the mountains and the twisties.

Quick photo op roadside with "Marissa".

Stopped at a scenic overlook a few miles in. Came upon it suddenly. Stunning.

And the point of, well… return.

INCREDIBLE road. I think I'll go back just to drive it for a couple of days. Highly recommend.

From the TN-NC border it was an 11 hour drive back home to Michigan. Fantastic trip, awesome car. End of journey.

Last edited by FormulaMMM; 04-10-2012 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Terraforce1
If you ain't first, you're last!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: '14 Boxster GTS + 14' 1199 S

Awesome

Thanks for sharing. I too love reading about others trips and adventures across countries and so on. Really a great read on a Satruday afternoon
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

some of those roads would definitely land me in jail.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraforce1 View Post
Awesome

Thanks for sharing. I too love reading about others trips and adventures across countries and so on. Really a great read on a Satruday afternoon
Definitely. Glad you guys enjoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
some of those roads would definitely land me in jail.
No kidding.. and rural Tennessee was crawling with Troopers.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

What a journey! Thanks for sharing and posting all the pics!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Very nice dude. fantastic trip!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
That is epic Very nice write up, pics and videos

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
What a journey! Thanks for sharing and posting all the pics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion150 View Post
Very nice dude. fantastic trip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2M3 View Post
That is epic Very nice write up, pics and videos
Thanks guys! It was awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Caspita
Turbo Guru
Rep
Drives: 2011.99 E92 ///M

Awesome pictures, I was at that Homestead event....which M3 were you in. I was in a Space Grey e92 with blue te37s

Casp Media |
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

legenday!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
tamana
Private
Rep
Drives: nids

Very nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Thanks for sharing....
My compliments on achieving over 21mpg on this beast!
      04-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Fantastic write up ! What a trip! Thank you for sharing !!!!!
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #15
Tunisie-G
Tunisie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i w ///M-Package

Awesome trip, I just need some time so I can take my 335is on a trip like that haha
      04-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #16
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Great post, thanks for sharing the trip!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #17
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

Reading about your trip makes me want to go on a driving holiday myself, maybe I'll go on the autobahns in Europe one day. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #18
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Very nice trip! Thx for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #19
dnotorious
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Sedan DCT

gr8 trip.. njoyd reading ur xperience with marissa this morning
E90 2007 BMW 335i - 6SPD - Sparkling Graphite Metallic - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #20
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P7X View Post
Great post, thanks for sharing the trip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM3 View Post
Reading about your trip makes me want to go on a driving holiday myself, maybe I'll go on the autobahns in Europe one day. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
So awesome! Thank you for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
legenday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamana View Post
Very nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBroker View Post
Fantastic write up ! What a trip! Thank you for sharing !!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsenadbz88 View Post
Awesome trip, I just need some time so I can take my 335is on a trip like that haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
Very nice trip! Thx for sharing!
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fester View Post
Thanks for sharing....
My compliments on achieving over 21mpg on this beast!
Yeah, not too bad huh? So on the mileage subject, I think I observed something.. increased mileage and efficiency as the trip went on. I seemed to be getting more miles per the first 1/2 and 3/4 tank on the latter stages of the drive. Is the M3 smart enough to adjust its fuel needs according to a consistent (highway) driving style and speeds over 1500 miles? Not sure, but it definitely seemed like it.

What I'm saying is that theoretically if one were to drive around the world in the M3 at a highway pace, by the time he returned to his start point he'd be achieving a very green ~50 mpg... But seriously though, I do think I was getting better mileage as the trip went on. Not only based on the trip computer, but according to my odometer/fuel tank observations. This happened both on the drive to FL and then on the return to MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspita View Post
Awesome pictures, I was at that Homestead event....which M3 were you in. I was in a Space Grey e92 with blue te37s
Hey, the Jerez M3 sedan in the pics above. I'm pretty sure I remember your car.. you have the front splitters? And actually, right before lunch I ran over to your garage to determine your exhaust (Active). No one was around. Nice car! Sounded beastly coming down the front straight.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #21
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnotorious View Post
gr8 trip.. njoyd reading ur xperience with marissa this morning
Glad you enjoyed man. She's a sassy broad.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #22
topspin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Nice read.

I actually live in Ooltewah and have never gone to the Tail of the Dragon even though I'm so close. In fact I just heard of this famous road last year. I plan on going soon.

Thanks for sharing!