BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW
Closed Thread

10-06-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

KW Competition 2-way + KW competition Camber plates

Hi fellow forum members!

As some of you may know I have recently purchased a set of KW Competition 2-way coilovers from M-World (Richard)

Well informed guy! Good response to emails considering I'm half way around the world. I'm guess he doesn't sleep much at all

OK so the purchase was straight forward and simple took a couple of emails to Richard how I wanted my car to feel (basically like a GT3RS)

So he did suggest some spring rates! I ended up wth
Front: 20% stiffer
Rear: 20%stiffer

there was also a option to choose the KW clubsport camber plates or KW competition camber plates. So I was thinking since I'm buying competition suspension why use non competition camber plates.

I got my car alignment done today! and so far what does the car feel like?!

in short! LIKE ON FUCKING RAILS

I notice right way from the steering wheel you can feel the road a lot better now! and you can feel the suspension working instead of the car's Chassis twisting. I must say I'm more then happy with how the car handles now! I'm very very surprised that a M3 can feel like this!

Granted I've done a lot of upgrades to my chassis to make it handle better but nothing comes even close to what these KW's Comp. set up

I personally don't think I will ever purchase another (street) coilovers again. I think its a waste of money now!

so for those who haven't seem the shitty pictures I have here they are again:

Front side by side with PSS10:

Rear side by side with PSS10

my alignment set up so far please feel free to comment:

Front ride height:

Rear ride height:

there is 1 downside to this set up! which you will get a squeaking noise but I was aware of that before I got the suspension and the noise its coming from the camber plates. If you want to purchase a KW Comp. 2-way without the squeaking noise its also possible! just get the KW CS camber plates and that will solve the problem.

so there is my short review! hope it was a helpful one

and here are some pictures of the roll cage I have installed on my car:

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW

Last edited by Eugene-TAIWAN; 10-07-2011 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: spell error
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Nice post! I couldn't believe how much better my car handles after my suspension upgrade.
      10-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Seriously your car is turning out to be an overall monster in every automotive arena!

The KWs look great! Richard at MWorld is a pleasure to talk to and is definitely very knowledgable. The best part about the KWs is that it's a full plug and play kit all from the same manufacturer which is definitely a nice characteristic.

How's the feel on the street? I'm not sure of the conditions of the roads there, but I'd be really interested to hear your street impressions as well. How does it soak up bumps, cracks, dips, etc?

Was your car corner balanced? I noticed that your rear left and right camber is kind of far apart, or at least further than what I'm used to setting up in my cars.

Thanks again for sharing! Hopefully you can share more with us in the future. I am currently debating between JRZ RS and the KW Competitions for my car as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
Monaco
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS/911R

love the prodrive seats
      10-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Does it come with those green sway bar links?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
Nice post! I couldn't believe how much better my car handles after my suspension upgrade.
I hear you bro! I really wanted the AST myself as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Seriously your car is turning out to be an overall monster in every automotive arena!

The KWs look great! Richard at MWorld is a pleasure to talk to and is definitely very knowledgable. The best part about the KWs is that it's a full plug and play kit all from the same manufacturer which is definitely a nice characteristic.

How's the feel on the street? I'm not sure of the conditions of the roads there, but I'd be really interested to hear your street impressions as well. How does it soak up bumps, cracks, dips, etc?

Was your car corner balanced? I noticed that your rear left and right camber is kind of far apart, or at least further than what I'm used to setting up in my cars.

Thanks again for sharing! Hopefully you can share more with us in the future. I am currently debating between JRZ RS and the KW Competitions for my car as well.
the KW Comp. is very good picking the bumps, cracks and dips. the thing is that because the spring is is high you don't feel like its bottomed out.

it keeps the car up and just kinds of glide over it.

don't get me wrong but its stiff but in a good way!

the chose the KW Comp. was because it was a real pluge and play situation and when you order the coilovers you can also get many spring rates at once from KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINHEAD View Post
love the prodrive seats
Thanks! I got the CF version ones! they are discontinued but found a pair that was brand new!

present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Does it come with those green sway bar links?
no! the Green sway bars are from RD sport!

I got them from PYspeed

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Damn, RD sways AND KW Comp. Love the cage and seats too.
SICK CAR!!!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Damn, RD sways AND KW Comp. Love the cage and seats too.
SICK CAR!!!
thank you for the comment! Sir

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Glad you are enjoying the set up! Was a pleasure working with you.
      10-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #11
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
Glad you are enjoying the set up! Was a pleasure working with you.
No thank you sir for the detailed info

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Too bad the camber plates make noise. You should look into putting a radial bearing in to eliminate that. My vorshlag plates remain silent after almost one year. I like the rear mounts that kw supplies.

I'm curious to here what you think about the sways now that you have proper spring rates. My car already lifts the front inside tire in typical BMW fashion with the stock sways and I don't feel like I need any more bar with my spring rates.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Too bad the camber plates make noise. You should look into putting a radial bearing in to eliminate that. My vorshlag plates remain silent after almost one year. I like the rear mounts that kw supplies.

I'm curious to here what you think about the sways now that you have proper spring rates. My car already lifts the front inside tire in typical BMW fashion with the stock sways and I don't feel like I need any more bar with my spring rates.
I know I can get rid of the noise and I has this option from the get go. if I went with the clubsport camber plates. I was told that the competition camber plates work better and last longer (thinker I believe) but loud. so guess there are nothing for the best of both worlds.

as for the sway bar what do you mean by '' lifts the front inside''

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #14
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

The Competition camber plate itself, or Competition solid mounts in general, make minimal noise. But because everything is metal to eliminate unwanted deflection, they transmit noise more readily than those with bushings.

KW Competition 2-Way dampers are low to zero pressure dampers to minimize internal friction, and during compression blow off the dampers would make a swishing sound. Together with solid mounts, and the removal of a car's internal sound deadening materials, this blow off sound may be audible inside the cabin.

As Eugene said, the kit can be built with Clubsport camber plates. The Clubsport plate adds a polymer disc between the spherical bearing and the upper spring perch to isolate noise. However, the inherent characteristic of the disc material makes the plate less durable for heavy track use.

The Competition line is intended for competitive drivers who want maximum performance on the race track. Therefore performance and durability are the top priority. For those who want a more street-biased set up, KW has the Clubsport line which is a hybrid between a race kit and a street kit.
      10-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
The Competition camber plate itself, or Competition solid mounts in general, make minimal noise. But because everything is metal to eliminate unwanted deflection, they transmit noise more readily than those with bushings.

KW Competition 2-Way dampers are low to zero pressure dampers to minimize internal friction, and during compression blow off the dampers would make a swishing sound. Together with solid mounts, and the removal of a car's internal sound deadening materials, this blow off sound may be audible inside the cabin.

As Eugene said, the kit can be built with Clubsport camber plates. The Clubsport plate adds a polymer disc between the spherical bearing and the upper spring perch to isolate noise. However, the inherent characteristic of the disc material makes the plate less durable for heavy track use.

The Competition line is intended for competitive drivers who want maximum performance on the race track. Therefore performance and durability are the top priority. For those who want a more street-biased set up, KW has the Clubsport line which is a hybrid between a race kit and a street kit.
Yep like what he said^

just to come back on the camber plate noise I just found out that it wasn't my plates it was actually coming from the roll cage. I guess the car is a lot stiffer now so the roll cage is just letting me know

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #16
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
Yep like what he said^

just to come back on the camber plate noise I just found out that it wasn't my plates it was actually coming from the roll cage. I guess the car is a lot stiffer now so the roll cage is just letting me know
Good clarification. A well built camber plate with high quality bearings like the KW's most likely have shouldn't make any noise on their own, but they will transmit noises the shocks and other parts of the car are making. What tracks do you visit out there?
Well done Richard for providing a sorted out plug and play track ready setup! Seems like you're providing better engineered turn key setups than the big boys.

One question though. What spring rates are you running Just kidding. Enjoy the setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #17
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

damn... this is a sick set up... i wished i could run something like this on my car but i think it will render my car almost undriveable on the street. my ride is already fairly harsh on firmer settings with KW V3. i am think the roads in taiwan are probably better than what we have in the north east.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #18
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
damn... this is a sick set up... i wished i could run something like this on my car but i think it will render my car almost undriveable on the street. my ride is already fairly harsh on firmer settings with KW V3. i am think the roads in taiwan are probably better than what we have in the north east.
I've been to Montreal many times! for parties in University days!

the road conditions are about the same.

I just don't drive my car everyday.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #19
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Good clarification. A well built camber plate with high quality bearings like the KW's most likely have shouldn't make any noise on their own, but they will transmit noises the shocks and other parts of the car are making. What tracks do you visit out there?
Well done Richard for providing a sorted out plug and play track ready setup! Seems like you're providing better engineered turn key setups than the big boys.

One question though. What spring rates are you running Just kidding. Enjoy the setup.
we have a tinny track that we can go at anytime! but we have new track that will open up next month I believe which is alot better.

maybe one of these days we can ship out cars to China and use the F1 tracks there.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #20
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Found out the other day that GC makes some adjustable end links for front and rear you can add to your sways so you can corner balance your car

Awesome setup
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #21
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
we have a tinny track that we can go at anytime! but we have new track that will open up next month I believe which is alot better.

maybe one of these days we can ship out cars to China and use the F1 tracks there.
good to know that there's another track opening up in taiwan... thats the problem with having a track beast in asia, there's no where to drive it!.... i have family and friends in indonesia and singapore (i am indonesian) and some of them have pretty powerful cars but there arent any tracks readily available to bring the car to.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #22
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green///Hell View Post
Found out the other day that GC makes some adjustable end links for front and rear you can add to your sways so you can corner balance your car

Awesome setup
I actually just bought the rear toe arm

I guess these are the same thing for just for the front

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
good to know that there's another track opening up in taiwan... thats the problem with having a track beast in asia, there's no where to drive it!.... i have family and friends in indonesia and singapore (i am indonesian) and some of them have pretty powerful cars but there arent any tracks readily available to bring the car to.
Well some people in Singapore drive theirs cars to the F1 track in Malayasia

but that is the only one I know of.

there are a lot of tracks in China that is opening up or have opened up recently

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread