BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

03-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

V1 radar mount

I'm looking to buy a v1 this week but I want to see where you guys have yours mounted.. If you have a v1 please post a pic of I can see to get an idea.

Also, any recommendations on where in Orange County Ca I can have someone install and hardwire it? And the possible cost of doing this?
      03-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

i just have mine mounted up high by the drivers side visor with the standard suction mount, and wired into the mirror with an 8" cord. The power i tapped is switched also, so it turns on and off with the ignition. Here's some pics

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
i just have mine mounted up high by the drivers side visor with the standard suction mount, and wired into the mirror with an 8" cord. The power i tapped is switched also, so it turns on and off with the ignition. Here's some pics

that looks pretty cool. i was debating getting the v1 thats installed inside the rear view mirror, but im not sure if im convinced on the price yet.

so with this set up all you purchased is the v1 and a hardwire kit?

im sorry, i have never owned a radar detector so im confused.

also, who did your install? and what did it cost?
      03-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92 View Post
that looks pretty cool. i was debating getting the v1 thats installed inside the rear view mirror, but im not sure if im convinced on the price yet.

so with this set up all you purchased is the v1 and a hardwire kit?

im sorry, i have never owned a radar detector so im confused.

also, who did your install? and what did it cost?
no hardwire kit, this is just the v1 right out of the box and an 8" piece of wire like this

i just pulled the plastic housing off of the mirror, spent about 5 minutes with a multimeter finding a suitable place on the mirror's wiring harness to tap into, and then just clipped the plastic parts back on over the wire.

It's probably not the safest way you can wire up a V1, since using the hardwire kit gives you an inline fuse, but it works fine for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
no hardwire kit, this is just the v1 right out of the box and an 8" piece of wire like this

i just pulled the plastic housing off of the mirror, spent about 5 minutes with a multimeter finding a suitable place on the mirror's wiring harness to tap into, and then just clipped the plastic parts back on over the wire.

It's probably not the safest way you can wire up a V1, since using the hardwire kit gives you an inline fuse, but it works fine for me.
i see...

still looks good, i just dont want to mount a radar on the middle of my windshield and have it looking all tacky and shit u know?

but yours looks pretty clean.

thanks for the pics and info. i appreciate it.
      03-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Here is mine, works great!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657271
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0