BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #23
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

so are you saying that Jerez Black will not have the swirl mark problems that Jet Black has?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #24
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesisel View Post
Jerez Black. I really like this color. I have never had a black car before so all I know about them is what I have read on this post. I am borderline OCD and will be cleaning my M3 very often so once a week, maybe more often, won't bother me . So... to all the jerez and jet black owners...how hard is it to keep your car looking clean? Do you regret your choice because of how often you have to clean it? How often do you wash your M?
The real question for me is if you are going to be able to keep your black vehicle garaged or not. If so, black is not too bad to keep up with, as I wash mine about every two weeks or so. In the meantime, I keep it dust free with a California duster. No way if it was going to be parked outside most of the time though....I have a Jerez black M3 and the color is fantastic...the dark metallic blue sheen when it's in the sun really looks great!

Good luck in whatever color you choose....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 03:52 PM   #25
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH32335i View Post
so are you saying that Jerez Black will not have the swirl mark problems that Jet Black has?
It should be similar to the Black Sapphire since it's also metalic paint. If you have a good coating of Sealant on. They'll all have swirl marks, it's just a matter of how easily you get them and how easy they are to get rid of.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #26
nicke92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

I love the jet black! I struggled with the same decision; on either jerez or jet black... my previous blk metallic E92 335, never really had that pop. Although, my car is always in a garage or in a nice structure at work with bi-monthly washes. the dust can be annoying, but I am NOT disappointed in the JET BLK! its look mean...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 10:26 PM   #27
jamesisel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Jerez/Fox Red E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotLap View Post
The real question for me is if you are going to be able to keep your black vehicle garaged or not. If so, black is not too bad to keep up with, as I wash mine about every two weeks or so. In the meantime, I keep it dust free with a California duster. No way if it was going to be parked outside most of the time though....I have a Jerez black M3 and the color is fantastic...the dark metallic blue sheen when it's in the sun really looks great!

Good luck in whatever color you choose....
Yeah, my ///M will be garaged. I'll be in the FT. Campbell area. Not too much dust or snow during the year. Moderate amount of rain. Sunday cleaning ritual will be easy to observe. Planning on getting a venture shield. Detailing as often as needed.
Eisenmann Race Performance/VRS front lip 1x1/VRS type II diffuser 1x1/VRS single side trunk with Fade/19" HRE C90's/RE SSK/H&R Sport springs /35% tint/Painted reflectors/Painted side markers with dark tint LED's/Tinted tail lights/Front grilles/Hardwire V1
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 10:36 PM   #28
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
My previous black cars...Acura TL (new), 996 (used), M3 (new) and MB S430 (new)...I did not use zaino (i used klasse)

I vowed never again...I was all hell bent on SSII M3...ended up with a Saphire Black M5

I live in OH and our weather is worse than yours...I got a VentureShield (custom front, full hood and fenders)....and could not be happier...

I have been faithful to Zaino...and she is being wonderful to my car...

And....I realized that I would still be washing her every day no matter what color she is...because the WHEELS are always needing cleaned...

So, no matter what color you get you will be washing your car frequently...and with proper care and products...you can keep the swirls away...

ZAINO FTMFW

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #29
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH32335i View Post
Don't do it!! Here's why:
1) it shows every bit of dust, so even if you just washed it you get in, look at the hood, and you see dust.

2) you can't dry it with a towel because you'll get swirl marks, so you're forced to either buy a powerful leaf blower or drive it dry, and that doesn't work that well.

3) when you wash it you have to be very careful, once again any harsh rubbing with a non perfectly clean towel/mit, you'll give it swirl marks. Nothing ruins my ocd day more than swirl marks!!

4) you finish washing it and then some moron leaves their sprinkler system on and you have to drive through the water means you have to start all over again.

It is a major pia! This is my fifth and LAST black car. It's just not worth the trouble to me, and you can never really get it looking perfect unless you spend hours on it, and even then that pefection is a fleeting moment because something always happens to get it dirty.

I admit black is my favorite color for cars, but it's just not worth the hassle. My bext car is an e92 M3, and it will be ALPINE WHITE!
Honestly. This can happen to any color any car. The Jet is going to be harder to take care of because it is a pure black but i can't imagine you getting out your car washing supplies at the second a speck of dust hits your car. Its life. Cars get dirty. Get over it.

To the OP I wash my cars every 2 weeks and that just about does the job- I had 2 jet black bmw's it was good enough. If you are more anal, with any color, your car should "look" clean every day of the year if you wash your car every week.

The real question is, how often do you have time to wash/wax your car?
      10-26-2008, 11:41 PM   #30
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
I have a Jet Black and I wash it once a week! Gotta be real gentle with proper washing technique to avoid swirls. But no matter how careful you are, the swirl marks are inevitable!

I recently had a dent from some moron who doesnt care about cars parking beside his/her car! and JB shows it like no other color!
Appreciate 0