BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #23
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

don't know about you guys, but sound plays a major role for me when driving. I love to rip it into the higher rpm's and hearing it. This car sounds like a vacuum...

S65 please..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #24
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Forget about sounding better than a V8; that's not going to happen.
Exactly. That's why I never owned an M3 before. And why I won't in the future either .

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
don't know about you guys, but sound plays a major role for me when driving.
Indeed. Much more important than power to me . So don't care if the new M3 has 700 HP; I don't need any more than the S65. Looks like my next car will be the next gen. Cayman S or C7 Vette.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #25
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
The current V8 sounds like pure sex. I love the way it bellows.
Not so much with stock exhaust. Love it with my Eisenmann. Got to keep the aftermarket in business. Some manufacturers are piping sound into the cabin with the stereo speakers now.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #26
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Not so much with stock exhaust. Love it with my Eisenmann. Got to keep the aftermarket in business. Some manufacturers are piping sound into the cabin with the stereo speakers now.
I'm not talking about the exhaust though. I'm talking about the engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #27
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
For all you guys who say it's a prototype, can you name a 6 cylinder that sounds as good as a V8? Forget about sounding better than a V8; that's not going to happen.
LOL!! Who said anything about the prototypes sound will be better than the current V8????
It's a prototype (hence- beginning stages), so, the sound, appearance, performance are ALL a "Work in Progress."
That doesn't mean it will sound better than a V8. It simply means it "may" sound better than the prototype...
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #28
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not talking about the exhaust though. I'm talking about the engine.
Well, most the bellowing is through the exhaust. I know, hoiwever, that from the inside you do get direct sound through the firewall. Still, the exhaust has a huge impact on the overall sound. Unfortunately, turbos are good mufflers.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #29
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Well, most the bellowing is through the exhaust. I know, hoiwever, that from the inside you do get direct sound through the firewall. Still, the exhaust has a huge impact on the overall sound. Unfortunately, turbos are good mufflers.
The stock M3 exhaust is almost non existent in sound.

That sounds like all engine to me. I can't hear any exhaust unless you have some sort of special hearing capability. The engine pretty much takes over past 4k RPM. The M5's exhaust is a step up from what it use to be. It's somewhat close to what AMG has to offer.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:00 AM   #30
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
LOL!! Who said anything about the prototypes sound will be better than the current V8????
It's a prototype (hence- beginning stages), so, the sound, appearance, performance are ALL a "Work in Progress."
That doesn't mean it will sound better than a V8. It simply means it "may" sound better than the prototype...
Did you read the thread? Most are talking about how that prototype sounds compared to our V8's. I'm saying there's NO WAY a 6 will sound as good as a V8 regardless if it's a prototype or production version, or any other 6 banger.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #31
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Def Not Leo Dicaprio View Post
our m3's will be old news in 2 years thats for sure.
i think bmw messed up with these v8s
What are you talking about? The M3's V8 has been winning awards left and right even after 5 years in the 4.0L+ class. The M3's V8 is admired by every auto journalist out there. Get your troll self out of here.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #32
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Well, at least it sounds better than a Prius. I plan on keeping my E92 M3 for the V8, and maybe also pick up one of these a couple years down the road. No reason I can't have the best of both worlds...a modded out V8 M3, and a DD F80 M3.

I just don't want to miss out on all the new tech coming out. I'm sure the new M will out perform the old.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 02:11 AM   #33
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I think it would be fun to get my M3 wrapped in that camo theme, then drive around Munchen with my Akrapovic exhaust and see peoples reaction.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 04:23 AM   #34
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
believe me , i am a M3 fanatic but i dont think the new version will outperform our v8 based on the new m5 and the new 535. its a shame that the new 535 is 7 tenths of a second slower than the previous generation and although it looks great it will get its doors blown off by the new a6 audi.
The new M5 outperforms the old one significantly, despite the weight it gained. As to the M3, the new model will make use of the latest engine and suspension tech while BMW will also keep any eye on weight. There's simply no way the new one won't outperform the old model.

Quote:
If you go to the F10 site and read on the "S"63 V8TT, BMW had to use the stereo speakers to enhance the sound so it wouldn't sound like a 4 banger. That's just sad.
That's not true. BMW doesn't use the Active Sound Design to change the engine sound but to pipe the (original) engine sound into the interior.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #35
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
The stock M3 exhaust is almost non existent in sound.

That sounds like all engine to me. I can't hear any exhaust unless you have some sort of special hearing capability. The engine pretty much takes over past 4k RPM. The M5's exhaust is a step up from what it use to be. It's somewhat close to what AMG has to offer.
Ugh.. it's beautiful. This is what I will miss. I have a feeling that once the first few years set in that the turbo guys will miss it too. It's like my 135 when I had it. Super quick and I was impressed.. initially. Then realized how unbelievably quiet and boring and laggy it was.
      09-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #36
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Ugh.. it's beautiful. This is what I will miss. I have a feeling that once the first few years set in that the turbo guys will miss it too. It's like my 135 when I had it. Super quick and I was impressed.. initially. Then realized how unbelievably quiet and boring and laggy it was.
As much as it pains me to say this, I agree. I love the n54, but the nonlinear nature of the engine can be annoying sometimes.

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #37
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
It is funny how all the regular 3 series users love the sound and look of the new m3, but most of current M3 owners are dissapointed.
That's because the M3 owners have a vested interest in the current car.

That's said, it does sound horrible.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #38
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I've yet to hear a V6 engine that sounds good (including that shown on the clip). Some 4-bangers sound fine, the I-6 can sound good too, V8 and up can sound fantastic, but V6's just don't make it IMO. I also wonder if with all the additional piping under the hood how the induction sound will be. One of my favorite part of M engines are the multiple throttle bodies which give the engine a magnificent growl.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #39
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post

Seriously, it's intoxicating.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #40
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
That's not true. BMW doesn't use the Active Sound Design to change the engine sound but to pipe the (original) engine sound into the interior.

Best regards,
south
south, what you're saying sounds like what BMW did with the Z4 when it had a duct for some of the exhaust pulses to be channeled into the cabin.

What you posted on 5Post REALLYsounds like the stereo is doing something since is uses DSP.

Quote:
"Active Sound Design."

Behind this marketing term is a fairly simple idea. The new M5 reproduces the car's engine sound via the in-car audio system. In other word, if you're sitting inside the car you not only hear the engine coming from outside, but also an audio track of the engine based on throttle input, speed, and engine revs. As BMW puts it, this makes for better feedback as you hear exactly what the engine is doing. Another obvious benefit is that it allows to change the noise levels based on your driving behaviour as the reproduction by the audio system gets louder and more intense in Sport and Sport+ settings.

Quote:
Active Sound Design delivers precise feedback.

M5 drivers will be given an even more direct reminder of their car’s performance capability by technology that brings the distinctive sound of the high-performance V8 – in all its glory – into the cabin of the new BMW M5. The Active Sound Design technology specially developed for the new BMW M5 takes its cues from the driving situation at any one time to deliver an accurate reproduction of the engine’s sound through the car’s audio system. The system’s digital signal processing exchanges data directly with the engine management, allowing it to reflect the engine’s revs and torque, and the car’s speed over the road. The result over a smoothly driven journey is a discreet soundtrack in keeping with the harmonious and assured characteristics of the V8 powerplant. A stamp on the accelerator, meanwhile, prompts an immediate audible response to match the instantaneous – and typically M – burst of power from beneath the bonnet.

In generating its signals, Active Sound Design takes its cues from the firing sequence of the eight-cylinder engine and the frequency range of the exhaust system. This gives the driver an extremely accurate impression of current engine load and an even more intense sensation of the V8’s high-performance characteristics. At the same time the Active Sound Design control unit ensures an even spread of sound across all five seats (is this a JOKE???) of the new BMW M5, while observing the legal guidelines governing noise emissions inside and outside the car. The characteristics of the sound produced by the technology also adjust to the engine settings selected by the driver. For example, switching to “Sport” or “Sport+” mode sharpens not only the engine’s responsiveness but also the acoustic experience inside the car.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #41
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
There are people who didn't like the "rasp" of the E46 M3...
To each their own.
I love the sound of the V8 in the current M3's but I think it's waaaaay to early to judge the prototype exhaust sound...
im sure it wont sound as good as v8. It should be something similar to 335i. Dont tell me that you think the 6 cylinder will sound like v8 with an aftermarket exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:15 AM   #42
Edjay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
im sure it wont sound as good as v8. It should be something similar to 335i. Dont tell me that you think the 6 cylinder will sound like v8 with an aftermarket exhaust
No, but nothing like a little stereo and surround sound cant do
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:17 AM   #43
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
For all you guys who say it's a prototype, can you name a 6 cylinder that sounds as good as a V8? Forget about sounding better than a V8; that's not going to happen.

If you go to the F10 site and read on the "S"63 V8TT, BMW had to use the stereo speakers to enhance the sound so it wouldn't sound like a 4 banger. That's just sad.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #44
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
south, what you're saying sounds like what BMW did with the Z4 when it had a duct for some of the exhaust pulses to be channeled into the cabin.

What you posted on 5Post REALLYsounds like the stereo is doing something since is uses DSP.
Yea, that's true. My point is that -- while 'reproduced' by the car's sound system -- it's still the same engine sound and not altered or manipulated in the way it sounds.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0