BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

07-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #23
SIIK2NR
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I agree with most of your points. I don't think anyone is using a Boxster Spyder as a daily driver but it actually has a reasonable amount to storage space between the front and rear trunks,

CA
This is true....except the top goes in one of them and that really nulls trunk space..

I love the boxster spyder.... and still am considering one. I'm hoping they will come out with a hard top.
2004 AP2 S2000 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #24
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholloway View Post
Wait... is it possible that I hear an M3 owner... bringing up drag times and top speeds... Isn't the M3 known for its handling and poise rather than drag racing on the street?
I agree with all your points but aren't we comparing apples to oranges (someone mentioned, "do you like apples or sunglasses")?
I know the OP is debating which car to get but, I believe the spyder and the Z4 would be more on par for a comparison?
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #25
Katie31100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche

FERRARI: I currently own a 2010 m3 sedan, and I am considering trading for the Spyder. That said, I am pretty confused.

Also, the trunk space is not compromised by the top. The top actually goes in a separate compartment on top of the trunk

Previous: 2009 BMW 335i Sedan Space Grey
2006 Porsche Cayman S Seal Grey
2002 BMW 325CiC Convertible Steel Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #26
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie31100 View Post
FERRARI: I currently own a 2010 m3 sedan, and I am considering trading for the Spyder. That said, I am pretty confused.

Also, the trunk space is not compromised by the top. The top actually goes in a separate compartment on top of the trunk

Correct.

I believe the rear trunk space is the same top up or down.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #27
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
LOL! Rocket Science anyone?
Man...that Spyder sure is beautiful. When I went to test drive a GT3 at Porsche of Arlington, I saw the Spyder and almost fell back. Actually ended up test driving the Spyder first. The top is a bit clumsy but one cannot ignore the beauty of this car. My only complaint was that it felt a bit low on power when compared to my M3. Other than that, the steering was telepathic and the cabin was very driver-centric/focused. I loved the CF seats and the CF trim on the removable roof. As a second toy, this will be a great car to have. However, as a primary vehicle, I don't think it is a wise choice.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #28
Katie31100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Thanks everyone! I ultimately decided to stick with my M3 for now. This was a very tough decision, but I've always said that the only car I would trade my M3 for would be a 911, and I felt that the Spyder would simply be a lateral move for a car that is better around the track but not quite as powerful as the growl of my v8 engine. I am going to stay with the M3 until the right 911 comes around

Previous: 2009 BMW 335i Sedan Space Grey
2006 Porsche Cayman S Seal Grey
2002 BMW 325CiC Convertible Steel Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #29
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholloway View Post
Wait... is it possible that I hear an M3 owner... bringing up drag times and top speeds... Isn't the M3 known for its handling and poise rather than drag racing on the street?

I love how you're so hyporcritical in defending your mediocre car. If there is any car that's faster than it in a straight line the absolute first thing an M3 driver says is something along the lines of " who cares that the new camaro/mustang/ etc is faster in a straight line because the M3 isn't about straight line speed. Its about the handling and how the M3 is great around the track because the track is where a car really shows how good it is.

But then when a car is faster around the track then an M3 you immediately bring up M3 straight line stats and sound something along the line of "well sure that car might be better balanced and have better handling, but my M3 is way faster in a straight line and that's all I care about. If I pulled up to a light and raced that car I would crush it.

The fact that the spyder is faster around every track than the M3 shows that it not only handles a lot better, but has the right amount of power to keep up on the straights. Obviously for a car like the M3, which according to you is soooo much faster in a straight line than the Spyder, should have some advantage on a track with some long straights, but it doesn't.

In the end you failed to prove your point that the M3 will "blow the doors off the spyder in almost every category". Its not nearly as fast around the track, and its only marginally faster on the road. But hey, roads aren't for racing whereas tracks are. Who cares if the M3 is faster on the road. That doesn't prove shit because I doubt you're ever going fast enough for the M3s slight speed advantage to make a difference. Who cares about drag times because obviosly you wouldn't take either the M3 or a Spyder to the drag strip. The spyder is faster where it counts and that's all there is to it.

A Bugatti Veyron has a higher top speed than most F1 cars, but does that make it better? I don't care which car you think is better and if you like your M3 that's fine. But when you make such an ignorant statement you deserved to be called out on it.
Honestly, I'm not even going to waste my time reading through your long ass post. I like the Spyder a lot, I test drove it and was very impressed. Why don't you take a look at my review that I posted over 6 months ago. All cars have their strengths and weaknesses. The e9x m3 is far from mediocre and I'm not the only that feels this way, there is a global consensus. You must drive an old ass m3 to say that the e9x m3 is mediocre, however, I digress.

In general, Porsches are great cars and one of my personal favorite. In terms of the Spyder, its looks, driver focused cockpit, light weight and excellent steering make it a phenomenal car. However, it felt low on power and I think many will agree.

Here is my original review of the Spyder:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402441

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #30
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I ultimately decided to stick with my M3 for now. This was a very tough decision, but I've always said that the only car I would trade my M3 for would be a 911, and I felt that the Spyder would simply be a lateral move for a car that is better around the track but not quite as powerful as the growl of my v8 engine. I am going to stay with the M3 until the right 911 comes around
I think you are making a good choice. I would say to get the Spyder only if you were keeping the M3 as well.

For me, my next car will be a Porsche GT3. You can get a 2007-2008 between $75k-$85k with barely any miles. However, even when this happens, my ///M3 will still retain its thrown in my garage, he will just have to share it.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #31
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Excellent choice!
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #32
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
I think you are making a good choice. I would say to get the Spyder only if you were keeping the M3 as well.

-SZ
I was thinking the same but to each their own
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #33
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Hey everyone! I have a bit of a dilemma. I currently own a 2010 white BMW m3 sedan and have the opportunity to trade for a 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder (white as well.) I am wondering what you guys would do if given this situation. I am pretty confused, so any advice is welcome!
if i was going to porsche and maybe one day i will i would upgrade to a 911, not downgrade to a boxster. and it is a downgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #34
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Boxster spyder is in no way the kind of car you get to replace another car. Especially not an M3.

The boxster spyder is the kind of car you get because you have several other cars and drive a practical M3 day to day.

The OP is missing the point here.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #35
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
Boxster spyder is in no way the kind of car you get to replace another car. Especially not an M3.

The boxster spyder is the kind of car you get because you have several other cars and drive a practical M3 day to day.

The OP is missing the point here.
Kinda agree.
      07-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #36
M3LOL
Rep
Drives: STi

I believe I can share some info based on personal experience. My father has owned a Spyder since April of this year. I will first start with the top: The top has 2 separate pieces. There is the primary piece that covers the top of the car and attaches to the red latches on the bootlid, and there is a smaller piece that goes behind your head and latches to the roll bars. The difference in wind noise between having 1 piece on and both pieces on is negligible, however equipping the car w/ the larger piece takes legitimately a minute maybe a minute and a half when you are used to it. Go back 10 years and this top wouldn't receive a complaint. But most modern convertibles nowadays, you push a button and are enclosed within seconds. This is NOT most convertables.

Now on to the interesting part, performance and drivability: My father DD's this car. He drives it to work everyday rain or shine and loves it (he lives in CA). He owned a zcp e46, and I own an e46 m currently. We both have tracked and autocrossed a dct carbon roof m3 coupe, so my comparisons have a good basis. The Spyder is a completely different league of car when it comes down to driving enjoyment. Everything you touch and move sends actual pleasurable sensations down your arms, legs or ears. And allow me to say there are very few cars, and I mean you could count them on one hand, that handle better. I did not say have more grip, I said handling. It is absolutely stupid what you can do in this car around the twisites. To whoever said the m3 is a faster car on the street, I could not disagree more. One of the biggest factors of how fast a car is being driven is how comfortable the driver is and there is no car you feel better in than the spyder. The only place the Spyder may be slower is 100+ mph where the extra hp are worth more than weight and aero, but this is largely offset by the fact that the corner exit speeds are much higher in the Spyder.

In conclusion, the Spyder is just a different type and dare I say league of car. It has 2 trunks, but it is in no way practical as a dd in most parts of the country. The m3 is a huge comfortable grand tourer in comparison that you can still get your kicks in, which fits 98% more buyers criteria than the Spyder.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #37
M3LOL
Rep
Drives: STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
if i was going to porsche and maybe one day i will i would upgrade to a 911, not downgrade to a boxster. and it is a downgrade
In my opinion, that is very very far from the truth. Between a 911 or 911 s and the Spyder, as a sports car the Spyder is a much better package. It is a better comparison to a gt3 on that front (there was an excellence article of a Spyder vs a GT3 RS w/ leh keen doing the driving, check it out). The general consensus being that the Spyder is a much easier car to drive, but the gt3's limits are higher.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #38
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Man...that Spyder sure is beautiful. When I went to test drive a GT3 at Porsche of Arlington, I saw the Spyder and almost fell back. Actually ended up test driving the Spyder first. The top is a bit clumsy but one cannot ignore the beauty of this car. My only complaint was that it felt a bit low on power when compared to my M3. Other than that, the steering was telepathic and the cabin was very driver-centric/focused. I loved the CF seats and the CF trim on the removable roof. As a second toy, this will be a great car to have. However, as a primary vehicle, I don't think it is a wise choice.

-SZ
x100, the only thing I dont like about the spyder is the top. That care is top down all the way...everyday you when you drive it. As a DD, I wouldn't do it
      07-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #39
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIIK2NR View Post

The other downer is that it is 126mph limited with the top up......SUCKS!...
Is this true? I am looking at the Porsche site and it lists the top speed at 166. Sounds like it might not get there at most tracks, but 126 would be embarrassing on any long straight.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #40
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Is this true? I am looking at the Porsche site and it lists the top speed at 166. Sounds like it might not get there at most tracks, but 126 would be embarrassing on any long straight.
I believe what that means is that Porsche does not recommend going above 126 with the top up. I don't believe that there is an actual speed limiter that comes into play with the top in place. In any case on a track the top would be down.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #41
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I believe what that means is that Porsche does not recommend going above 126 with the top up. I don't believe that there is an actual speed limiter that comes into play with the top in place. In any case on a track the top would be down.

CA
thanks. i have only been to two track events with PCA and all of the convertibles (except the spec miatas) were running with the tops up.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #42
Skeptikal12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

I own a Spyder and will attest to the top taking 1min-1min:30sec to put up. In climates where it rains more often than not, you would find yourself leaving the top up 'just in case'. There is no compromise in trunk space with the top off and stored and you can also just leave the sunshade (top piece) on for a half way experience.

For anyone else thinking of buying the car, the buckets are awesome but are tougher to get in and out of - so test them out as see what you think. If that, paired with the top, bothers you - look at a different car because you are missing the point.

I've driven cars that are faster in a straight line and have some experience driving an M3, there is nothing that has come close to the feel, precision and handling of the Spyder for the money. The ingredients for a test drive are, 6 speed manual, sport buckets, RPM range between 4500-Redline and Twisties/Track. Do this and you will be sold.

You can literally hop into this car and drive it at 8/10th without ever having been to a track/lessons. If the tail slips, it won't send you in the nearest ditch and getting it back in line is as easy as it can get. All this while feeling like the car was built around you and not the other way around. There are very few cars that you can jump into and feel like you've driven them a million times before.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #43
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
OOoooh baby such the dilemma. So yes the porsche is an amazing car, but I feel you prob wouldn't regret it, BUT wish you still had the M3. I recommomend, getting new wheels/exhaust/ install a sweet mod or two, so you have the "change" and an upgrade to settle the score.
Appreciate 0