BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

09-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
faou4rm
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 e92 335 M-Sport

hawaii !

Sorry guys, i know this topic has been covered a few times but i can't seem to gather all the infos at once !

anyways, i keep coming back to this board to ask questions because you guys seem to have a lot more experience and give better advice etc !!

1. Which site is the BEST for traveling?

2. About how much should i expect to be spending in hawaii?

3. How long should i stay (how many days) and WHERE?

4. When's the BEST time to book the trip? 3 months in advance etc?

i'll be commuting for my last year of college, while saving up from allowance and part time so i just want general idea of what i'm getting myself into. I'm planning on covering for my gf as well so.. a trip for 2 !

thanks guys !! sorry for the spam !!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Why don't you give us your realistic budget and we can work from there. Also, what would you like to do while you're there? Relax? Adventure? Party?

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Oh man i wanna goto Hawaii so badly, i know this girl who goes to college there.... i wanna bang her so hard. I told her i'll wait for her when she comes back to the States during break but she said no, if i want it, i have to come to Hawaii and get it... such a tease
      09-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
faou4rm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Why don't you give us your realistic budget and we can work from there. Also, what would you like to do while you're there? Relax? Adventure? Party?
i'm hoping to spend 5k MAX

I would like to relax and just enjoy some stuff.. maybe snorkeling etc

i really don't have anything to base it off from..

which is why i'm here asking for advice haha sorry

i usually don't go on trips or anything. so yeah...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
faou4rm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
Oh man i wanna goto Hawaii so badly, i know this girl who goes to college there.... i wanna bang her so hard. I told her i'll wait for her when she comes back to the States during break but she said no, if i want it, i have to come to Hawaii and get it... such a tease
hahaha why not go enjoy your time at hawaii AND get the girl??

i guess that's kinda similar to my situation since i'm planning this trip to hawaii so we can meet there before we come back to the states together..
been together for 4 years currently working on 1 year of long distance.. and then hawaii

hahah
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by faou4rm View Post
i'm hoping to spend 5k MAX

I would like to relax and just enjoy some stuff.. maybe snorkeling etc

i really don't have anything to base it off from..

which is why i'm here asking for advice haha sorry

i usually don't go on trips or anything. so yeah...
You could go on the cheap and rent a condo for the week on airbnb or alike and cook your own food or eat meals out or just find a cheap hotel. If you just want to relax, I would go to Kauai and stay in Hanalei/Princeville. It's stunningly beautiful and it's a small village with no crowds. It's very relaxing and has great snorkeling (tunnels beach). Princeville Ranch is also right there and they have hiking, horseback, and zip lines.

I didn't like Maui much but others seems to like it. There are more strip malls and more hotels which means more people. I like to get away from that and just have a week of peace when I'm away.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I'd say 5k would have a pretty great trip.

When my family went to Hawaii the most expensive part was the plane tickets, but we were also flying from GA. Oh, also helps if your family has any retired/active military. We went to Oahu and stayed at Bellows AFB, the naval base, and Hickam AFB. The TLQ we stayed at on Hickam was $23/night.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
faou4rm
Private
Rep

Quote:
You could go on the cheap and rent a condo for the week on airbnb or alike and cook your own food or eat meals out or just find a cheap hotel. If you just want to relax, I would go to Kauai and stay in Hanalei/Princeville. It's stunningly beautiful and it's a small village with no crowds. It's very relaxing and has great snorkeling (tunnels beach). Princeville Ranch is also right there and they have hiking, horseback, and zip lines.

I didn't like Maui much but others seems to like it. There are more strip malls and more hotels which means more people. I like to get away from that and just have a week of peace when I'm away.
haha yeah i was actually thinking maui every time i considered hawaii.

thank you for the insight i'll definitely refer back to this thread when i save up enough !!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
faou4rm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty3bags View Post

When my family went to Hawaii the most expensive part was the plane tickets, but we were also flying from GA. Oh, also helps if your family has any retired/active military. We went to Oahu and stayed at Bellows AFB, the naval base, and Hickam AFB. The TLQ we stayed at on Hickam was $23/night.
5k great trip for both?
hmm i see i see.. yeah my gf's cousin is actually in the marines
he's done after christmas but maybe i can talk to him about it.
ahh thanks for the insight !!!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by faou4rm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty3bags View Post

5k great trip for both?
hmm i see i see.. yeah my gf's cousin is actually in the marines
he's done after christmas but maybe i can talk to him about it.
ahh thanks for the insight !!!
I'm unsure if they can reserve it and you check in without the person being there though
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Here's my recent thread on Maui- http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860287

It should give you some info if you decide to head there.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #12
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

Just a note.. the hotels will want their payment up front day 1. You may be able to save some money by checking on craigslist for rental cars and homeaway.com for vacation rentals. I have only been to Maui. Beautiful, but the hotel areas are so curated that it kind of feels Disney'ish. The rest of the island is beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #13
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inChargeOfIT View Post
Just a note.. the hotels will want their payment up front day 1. You may be able to save some money by checking on craigslist for rental cars and homeaway.com for vacation rentals. I have only been to Maui. Beautiful, but the hotel areas are so curated that it kind of feels Disney'ish. The rest of the island is beautiful.
Absolutely not true. You book with a deposit and the balance is due on departure. This applied at both the St.Regis and Four Seasons when I was in Hawaii.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
I'm taking the gf to Hawaii. Since it is the first time for both of us, we would like to stay in one island first and look around, relax.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Maui - Quite arid and brown in color. More traffic, more commercial activity, more people. I liked the snorkeling and the Haleakala sunrise was one of the most moving experiences of my life.

Oahu - Tropical and very populated. I didn't spend any time here but that's what I've read.

Kauai - The most beautiful island I've ever seen. It's very lush. Enough to do to keep you occupied but also a great place to just unplug and unwind. My wife and I both loved Kauai. She actually cried driving to the hotel in Maui after leaving Kauai.

Big Island - They have the active volcano which would be cool to see. I have not been there but I've heard it's nice and the Four Seasons there is supposed to be spectacular. I was not impressed with the Four Seasons on Maui. It's obiously much larger than the others.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Hawaii rules of thumb IMO:

-10 days minimum
-Kauai, Maui, Big Island (skip Oahu or spend 1-2 days max)
-GO HIKING (Kalalau Trail on Kauai is the best hiking experience ever)
-Drive around the islands, research beaches and waterfalls, and go to the less crowded ones you have to hike to
-Go up Haleakala for sunrise (get there early so you can secure a spot at the railing)
-Rent condos from private owner (can be as low as $60/night for a nice place)
-Go in August
-~$2k per person
      09-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

Quote:
Absolutely not true. You book with a deposit and the balance is due on departure. This applied at both the St.Regis and Four Seasons when I was in Hawaii.
Just wanted to throw that out there from personal experience as I had this happen to me at Royal Lahaina Resort a few years ago.

I thought it was odd and remember asking why. They said it was normal for the island hotels to ask for the $ up front. We did have a reserved rate for several rooms (wedding party) so maybe that was why.

Would not hurt to ask if you need to shuffle funds before hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
faou4rm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Hawaii rules of thumb IMO:

-10 days minimum
-Kauai, Maui, Big Island (skip Oahu or spend 1-2 days max)
-GO HIKING (Kalalau Trail on Kauai is the best hiking experience ever)
-Drive around the islands, research beaches and waterfalls, and go to the less crowded ones you have to hike to
-Go up Haleakala for sunrise (get there early so you can secure a spot at the railing)
-Rent condos from private owner (can be as low as $60/night for a nice place)
-Go in August
-~$2k per person

thank you for all that info !!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #19
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by faou4rm View Post
Sorry guys, i know this topic has been covered a few times but i can't seem to gather all the infos at once !

anyways, i keep coming back to this board to ask questions because you guys seem to have a lot more experience and give better advice etc !!

1. Which site is the BEST for traveling?

2. About how much should i expect to be spending in hawaii?

3. How long should i stay (how many days) and WHERE?

4. When's the BEST time to book the trip? 3 months in advance etc?

i'll be commuting for my last year of college, while saving up from allowance and part time so i just want general idea of what i'm getting myself into. I'm planning on covering for my gf as well so.. a trip for 2 !

thanks guys !! sorry for the spam !!
Why would you go to Hawaii? I lived there for 5 years and will never go back. Once you have done everything there, it gets boring. I would rather go to Bora Bora or St. Lucia before I go back to Hawaii.

Anyway depends on your budget. If I recall its not that much. $1000-$1500 a person for a week.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #20
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Why would you go to Hawaii? I lived there for 5 years and will never go back. Once you have done everything there, it gets boring. I would rather go to Bora Bora or St. Lucia before I go back to Hawaii.

Anyway depends on your budget. If I recall its not that much. $1000-$1500 a person for a week.
You say that once you've done everything in Hawaii it gets boring but suggest Bora Bora? Aside from being lightyears out of his budget, there is almost nothing to do there once you've finished snorkeling and eating at the fancy restaurants on your hotels private island from which there is no escape. I would argue that there is significantly less to do on Bora Bora than Hawaii. Also, St.Lucia can't hold a candle to Hawaii in range of activities and natural beauty. We get it, you hated it after five years but for a week or two, it's a fantastic place to visit.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #21
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post

wat.. I've been to Hawaii 3 times and plan to go back another few times. I've been all over the world. Hawaii is still my favorite place.
Quote:
You say that once you've done everything in Hawaii it gets boring but suggest Bora Bora? Aside from being lightyears out of his budget, there is almost nothing to do there once you've finished snorkeling and eating at the fancy restaurants on your hotels private island from which there is no escape. I would argue that there is significantly less to do on Bora Bora than Hawaii. Also, St.Lucia can't hold a candle to Hawaii in range of activities and natural beauty. We get it, you hated it after five years but for a week or two, it's a fantastic place to visit.
x2
      09-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
I would agree except with one caveat, if he/she is into water sports Polynesia/Micronesia has tons to offer with relatively no crowds. I used to get to surf Tavarua and Cloud break for free once a year, a good friend does basic first Aid life saving classes for the resorts and I got to tag along. Less crowds than anywhere I've been in the water. Unfortunately I've gotten old and fat and those types of breaks are way too much effort nowadays.
Appreciate 0