BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

12-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #1
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Google Earth

GOOGLE EARTH
Is This Cool or What?

Link:http://earth.google.com/

Google has upgraded it's free PC and Mac versions of Google Earth. It takes about 3 mins to download (DSL).
This program is an overlay of satellite images of the earth. You want to see your house?...you can find it by typing your city into the navigation panel.
That's the most obvious visit.

Some interesting places....

Prague to Dresden via the Elbe River...with the navigation bar you can "fly" from place to place.

Kiel, Germany: ooohh, German nuclear submarines in the harbor.

Murmansk, Russia: Russia's northernmost large city. Surveillance aircraft stacked all over the snowed-in military airbase north of the city.

Stockholm, Sweden: This must be the prettiest city I've found to look at from overhead. The gridded streets are organized but have an organic flow.
Stockholm is on an island....much like NYC. I'd love to go there.

Peshawar, Pakistan: Funky Soviet era Migs lined up along the runway.

Liverpool, England: Maybe the most intricate harbor I've ever seen. The docks are reached through a series of locks and channels.

Compare it to the (seemingly) utter chaos of Hong-Kong harbor.

Straits of Juan deFuca: Fly down the inner coastline of Washington State to Seattle or Tacoma. Complicated coastline.

Fjord's of Norway: Did I say "complicated coastline?"
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Try this one....
British Indian Ocean Territory....a string of tiny islands almost 1,000 miles due south of the tip of India.
B.I.O.T. is better known as Diego Garcia, part of a cash settlement by the U.S. with the Brits...basically a renter/landlord relationship.
U.S. bases long-range B-52's (clearly visible in staging area off the runway)
and is said to use the island for incarceration of super-hard-core terrorist prisoners.
Appreciate 0