BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

EXXEL Distributions

04-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #111
darkz
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [9.00]
2012 BMW X3  [9.00]
2013 Ford F150 FX4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
Where do you live?
Somewhere we don’t get bombed that often, but unfortunately I'm your neighbor.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #112
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

apparently some posters on this board doesn't use iPhone, or iMacs, or anything of quality made in China.
      04-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #113
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
apparently some posters on this board doesn't use iPhone, or iMacs, or anything of quality made in China.
Yap, you are right. Some of us don't.
There are super quality products out there that outshines any apple product. And they are not made in china. I am not an Apple guy anyway, I like freedom and diversity.
When BMW will become the next Apple, I will change.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #114
darkz
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [9.00]
2012 BMW X3  [9.00]
2013 Ford F150 FX4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
There are super quality products out there that outshines any apple product. And they are not made in china. I am not an Apple guy anyway, I like freedom and diversity.
the world need ppl like you, and thats how the chinese are advancing fast, ppl who doesnt accept the change will just be eliminated eventually.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #115
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

If you've ever been in a BMW factory, you'd see that while there are people there, a HUGE amount of the precision jobs are done by robots. Nearly every weld, glue joint, rivet is installed by a robot. Critical alignment construction is done by robots. The people may feed the jig that holds the parts, but then automation takes over, followed by automated laser an sensor quality checks to verify everything is done properly. Certainly, there's room for errors, but as more and more of it is taken over by the computers and robots, where the vehicles are actually assembled is less of a concern. Now, holding a supplier up to a high standard for materials that meet the design specs is a big issue...water pollution, unstable power, and various potential contamination is a concern. Quite awhile ago, my brother-in-law was involved with Kodak building a factory there. Lots of problems, but they ended up building their own water purification system to supply the plant and generated their own clean, reliable power to keep things going. Some processes just cannot tolerate a break in infrastructure. How they'll survive with the JIT manufacturing techniques used in other BMW plants will be interesting. But, I suppose stockpiling parts may not as big a financial hit as elsewhere.

I do believe China can and does make some quality products...just too many of them are just not executed well, whether because of design, process, or material choices to keep the price down, it's sometimes hard to say. Bottom line, they can build nice things...they often fail, maybe intentionally. In a disposable society, high quality is often not a major factor.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #116
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Quote:
I deliberately never owned any apple product. IMO, Apple's competitors are generally technically superior.

Can you tell me if there is really any difference in the recent way BMW and Apple approach their product development. Now it seems like BMW even copy Apple's trademark "i" prefix for the electric cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #117
bmwdj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Quote:
The truth is no matter what you buy, the company still gets the most benefit out from China. That means you can only follow what Chinese like.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #118
bmwdj
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
If you've ever been in a BMW factory, you'd see that while there are people there, a HUGE amount of the precision jobs are done by robots. Nearly every weld, glue joint, rivet is installed by a robot. Critical alignment construction is done by robots. The people may feed the jig that holds the parts, but then automation takes over, followed by automated laser an sensor quality checks to verify everything is done properly. Certainly, there's room for errors, but as more and more of it is taken over by the computers and robots, where the vehicles are actually assembled is less of a concern. Now, holding a supplier up to a high standard for materials that meet the design specs is a big issue...water pollution, unstable power, and various potential contamination is a concern. Quite awhile ago, my brother-in-law was involved with Kodak building a factory there. Lots of problems, but they ended up building their own water purification system to supply the plant and generated their own clean, reliable power to keep things going. Some processes just cannot tolerate a break in infrastructure. How they'll survive with the JIT manufacturing techniques used in other BMW plants will be interesting. But, I suppose stockpiling parts may not as big a financial hit as elsewhere.

I do believe China can and does make some quality products...just too many of them are just not executed well, whether because of design, process, or material choices to keep the price down, it's sometimes hard to say. Bottom line, they can build nice things...they often fail, maybe intentionally. In a disposable society, high quality is often not a major factor.
There is a video at the bottom of the page showing the BMW factory in China. I don't see what will go wrong if the factory is in China.
http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/04/13/bm...export-models/
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:15 AM   #119
bmwdj
Enlisted Member
Rep

Let's compare the BMW factory in Germany

At 1:25, how much will you pay to put the BMW badge on?
and China,
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #120
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Having been at many BMW plants throughout the globe there is virtually no difference to whether you are in India , China , South Africa or even the US, because it still feels like you are in Germany.

Everything is done accordingly to German developed methods including quality control and even training but one thing is consistently constant.
The languages may differ but there is one universal language every global associate speaks and that is BMW.
      04-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #121
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
Please tell me which major brand has a non Chinese built product. Every major brand including LG, Samsung, Apple, HTC, etc all manufacture their products in China.
Appreciate 0