BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

12-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
nomoreZ06
Rep
Drives: 08 Black E90 M3

Jerez Black - Hard or soft Paint?

Tring to get a definitive answer on this. Is Jerez Black ( looks more dark blue to me ) considered a "hard" paint or a "soft" paint?

I have an 08 E90 M3 in Jerez.

It appears that Jet black is considered a soft paint, but I hear it both ways for Jerez.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Vrumpkin
Seymour J. Vrumpkin
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Jerez as well as carbon black are finicky colors. Relatively easy to swirl yet difficult to polish.

Just be happy you dont have jet black because that takes the cake as the softest and most annoying to polish.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

its a 5 on the 1-10 scale...Ive done a bunch of them
105 is a bit too aggressive in most cases, so you should be able to get by with SIP or D300 followed by 106 for 90%+ results "on most cars".
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
nomoreZ06
Rep

Thanks for the responses. I have used M205 and Menzerna P085RD ( with Porter Cable polisher ) with good results over most of the car. From a distance it looks mirror like, but up close with sun or halogen lights I can still see minor imperfections ( not holograms ) and scratches. I have wanted to step in up a notch to see if I can further minimize those imperfections.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
dewsky
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

From my experience I have used m105 and an orange pad over the complete surface of my e92 jerez black and it has done a good job of removing the clear coat scratches, I found that m205 and a lighter pad was not enough to remove all of the clear coat scratches unless I went over the area with lots of passes. I would definitely consider the clear on this car to be very hard but still seems soft since it shows clear coat scratches easily.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
lol @ the responses by the "professionals" in this thread; the lack of knowledge here is disturbing. All BMWs have the same clear coat which determines the "difficulty" of removing defects. You polish the clear coat, not the color coat. Jerez, Jet Black, and every other color are the exact same difficulty, you just notice swirls easier on darker colors. Color coats are under the clear coat, end of story.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsis View Post
lol @ the responses by the "professionals" in this thread; the lack of knowledge here is disturbing. All BMWs have the same clear coat which determines the "difficulty" of removing defects. You polish the clear coat, not the color coat. Jerez, Jet Black, and every other color are the exact same difficulty, you just notice swirls easier on darker colors. Color coats are under the clear coat, end of story.

ouch
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
cghempel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

I value your input and your response seems logical, however you did not answer the OP's question. Given your response a better way to phrase the question would be: "How hard or soft is BMW clear coat?" So what'll it be?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghempel View Post
I value your input and your response seems logical, however you did not answer the OP's question. Given your response a better way to phrase the question would be: "How hard or soft is BMW clear coat?" So what'll it be?
As a means of comparison, BMW paint is soft compared to the likes of Mercedes Benz's nano-ceramic clear coat. BMW's clear doesn't take nearly as much finesse.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

Here is my observation, in the summer when the sprinklers come on and coat the cars with hard water, I noticed the 11 M3 Jerez Black had tons of hard water etching compared to the 11 750 Citrin Black. I barely could find any etching on the 7 but the they were all over the Jerez Black. Also no major etching problems on the Phantom Black R8 , Black E350, or the Black E550.

In a BMW Citrin Black is the best Black paint to get.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
bretster
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker123 View Post
Here is my observation, in the summer when the sprinklers come on and coat the cars with hard water, I noticed the 11 M3 Jerez Black had tons of hard water etching compared to the 11 750 Citrin Black. I barely could find any etching on the 7 but the they were all over the Jerez Black. Also no major etching problems on the Phantom Black R8 , Black E350, or the Black E550.

In a BMW Citrin Black is the best Black paint to get.
Porsche Basalt Black is my favorite black. Decently easy to maintain and work with on my cayenne
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

i just came here to say Jerez black is an awesome color!

carry on
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
nomoreZ06
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the response. It is a very good point and I should have been more detailed in my question. Chaulk it up to lasiness. I should have asked is the clear coat used for all BMW colors the same?

Is it safe to assume then that the clearcoat used on all BMW colors are the "same" ( brand and part number ), say for an entire model year? Has this been established already?

If the clear coat is the same for all colors then any comment about one BMW color being hard to work with than another is not true. Woudl this be a correct statement?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
nomoreZ06
Rep

Since I started this post ( for better or worse ), I have seen other threads and other sites report on correction for Jerez Black. So for those that come up on this post with a similar question and make it down here, here is my ( unprofessional ) conclusion.

Jerez Black is a hard paint ( or I should say its clear coat is hard ). What I mean by this is that the products used to correct it will be more on the agressive side.
Personally, I avoided more agressive pads and polishes out of fear my paint was soft and not wanting to do more damage. I was even worried about trying a test spot, as I did not want any part of my car's paint to be a test spot if things did not work out.
From what I read, I gained more confidence and stepped up the agressiveness in a controlled maner (yes, on a test spot at first). Good results followed, but it took a long time to polish.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:

+1
Appreciate 0