BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

08-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #23
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseM3 View Post
condensation
OK. And why is that a problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #24
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBlitz76 View Post
OK. And why is that a problem?
More air in the fuel tank means higher volume of water, too (the humidity in that air). Once the water vapor condenses out (generally on the exposed surfaces of a cold fuel tank), the water can combine with the gasoline and settles to the bottom of the tank. With modern vehicles you would not typically accumulate enough water in the gas from a single winter's storage to seriously affect engine operation. However, the water content in the tank does sometimes contribute to the corrosion of metal parts it comes into contact with. Storing a car with a near-empty tank invites a higher water content in the event of long-term storage. I would use a fuel stabilizer and keep the storage time under 5 or 6 months (in a garage).
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #25
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
More air in the fuel tank means higher volume of water, too (the humidity in that air). Once the water vapor condenses out (generally on the exposed surfaces of a cold fuel tank), the water can combine with the gasoline and settles to the bottom of the tank. With modern vehicles you would not typically accumulate enough water in the gas from a single winter's storage to seriously affect engine operation. However, the water content in the tank does sometimes contribute to the corrosion of metal parts it comes into contact with. Storing a car with a near-empty tank invites a higher water content in the event of long-term storage. I would use a fuel stabilizer and keep the storage time under 5 or 6 months (in a garage).
Good to know, and I really appreciate the time and thought you gave in your response. You can never know too much, and I really want to keep my M for the long haul! Thanks again, and cheers!

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #26
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

It sucks to have the car sit there for so long.
Do the prep (top fuel with stabilizer, fresh oil change etc), but have your friend or family check it probably once a month or so.
Start it up and if they can, jus drive around the block 3~5 miles to jus get the engine+tranny warmed up.
This is SO much better than literally having the car sit there same position for over 4 months.
      08-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #27
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Mice ?!?!
Never heard or saw mice case in cars like ours ? C'mon...
It happens all the time in California. Mice were living in the engine bay of my mom's Acura MDX and they ended up eating through some wiring which triggered a bunch of dash lights. Those wires are now wrapped with fabric softener (rats/mice hate the smell) and changed out every few months.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #28
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
It happens all the time in California. Mice were living in the engine bay of my mom's Acura MDX and they ended up eating through some wiring which triggered a bunch of dash lights. Those wires are now wrapped with fabric softener (rats/mice hate the smell) and changed out every few months.
In this case you need a cat !
But a better chaser than in the picture is required ...
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0