BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

04-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
WDBi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

new to post-processing

i have photoshop and a entry level canon dslr camera. Ive tried pp in the past but i cant really get it right
the m5 i did ok but not the greatest but my car the space gray 335i i cant get right can any one help me? maybe a little walk through or a thread the explains pp to noobs
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
WDBi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Anyone with good techniques for a gray car
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

shoot RAW, then hit the auto function on the screen that comes up when you shoot RAW... Then make minor adjustments from there to get it how you like, rather then starting with your base picture and hoping for the best.

but when you do hit the auto button, watch what scales move to create the new image and you'll start to learn what the program is trying to do. It's interesting as a learning curve.

I'm no expert, or anywhere close. But i've come to the realization that RAW makes life better. And more of your shots will turn out the way you hoped.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

I did some quick fiddling about and warmed it up a tad. but nothing compared to what can be done with a RAW file.

I used DxO for the program as it's a lot easier to do something quick and simple when compared with photoshop.

Yes, i can do a lot more in photoshop, but i don't go in there unless i want drastic changes to something.

Last edited by The1; 05-05-2011 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
WDBi
Captain
United_States
Rep

So my camera has raw and raw with a high quality copy can anyone explain more what raw is
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

RAW is as the name says sort of. It is the same picture you see in the JPEG, but it has no in camera processing done to it. The white balance hasn't been touched and none of your system settings have been applied to it.

It is as the camera really sees it. When a camera converts to JPEG, it loses a lot of quality, even when you're set on the highest settings.

The basic advantage of this is that instead of letting the camera do the processing, you're leaving it alone and letting the camera do what it's really designed to do, just capture a picture.

you then take the file and stick it on your computer, and use the power of software to do what you really want it to do. Even using auto settings in Photoshop or other programs will produce a higher quality JPEG then what the camera puts out. And you have way more control over it. And the best part is, as there was no compression done by the camera, you have more to work with when it goes onto the computer.

so you can do dust removal, change settings based on your particular lens and camera body. correct lens aberrations and vignetting, hightlights and low lights have better control, you can control sharpening better, etc, etc.

originally i hated doing this untill i got a program that that processed all my pictures in bulk with ease, you can do it with photoshop, but it's just more work.

Try something like DxO, it's really quick and easy to learn, and makes post processing more enjoyable instead of a challenge. then once you've made a lot of your adjustments, and still want to fine tune an image, take it to photoshop and work some magic when you're ready.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
whyrms
Private
Rep
Drives: foot mobile.

I hate editing jpeg, because as soon as you start trying to recover or increase the blacks, it gets noisy.

If you shoot raw, you still have a lot of dynamic range to play with. So spots that are under and over expose can still be recover to some extents (depending on your camera, K5 and D7000 has the highest dynamic range right now). In jpeg, each pixels are fixed in their brightness (I'm sure I'm butchering this explanation). So shoot raw and don't look back. If you hate the fact that you have to process after the shoot, then get over it, cause that's the other 50% of photography. Use programs like Lightroom to post process big batch, and use Photoshops to post process individuals (unless you're pro enough to use scripts function, which you will eventually use if you're serious about learning).

I took the liberty of trying to edit your picture in PS. It was really hard because it was a jpeg and it was really low resolutions. So I hard to resort to cheesy filters.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
WDBi
Captain
United_States
Rep

i will shoot raw i have experience with photoshop but never really with cars i have cs5 and totally rad actions as well as bamboo sketch tablet all for engineering sketches and blue prints/ rough drafts ive just never had to make a car look better but i just watched this and i think i get the hang of it
Appreciate 0