BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

BPM

02-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
scmguru
Rep
Drives: bmw

Does individual paint color add 5-7 weeks?

I've heard everything from a couple of weeks to 5-7 weeks.. For those who have ordered this option, what was your experience?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmguru View Post
I've heard everything from a couple of weeks to 5-7 weeks.. For those who have ordered this option, what was your experience?

Thanks!
In my experience it will usually delay production by between 2-4 weeks. Once they give you a production # the production week will stand..... Individual Paint or regular paint.

My 09 Individual Moonstone had a 2 week delay compared to if I had a standard car. My 2010 Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended has a 3 week delay compared to a standard car.
      02-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:

Thanks!
An Individual exterior paint color will add approx. 6-10 weeks to the overall build process, for any orders placed through BMWNA here in the United States.

It all depends on when the order was placed, and how busy the factory is at the time your car is scheduled to be built.
      02-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
scmguru
Rep

So I've got 2-4 weeks and 6-10 weeks.. is this because one order is from canada and the other from US?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
H2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LSB E92 M3

Here are a few dates from the build process of my car if it will help out any.

8/7/08 - individual color approved/allocation granted
9/24/08 - production started
10/6/08 - production completed
10/30/08 - arrived at port (Charleston, SC)
11/21/08 - picked car up at Performance Center

I would point out a few things that may account for some differences between the length of time in the U.S. (as Lemans has said) and what BMRLVR experienced in Canada. Canada has officially implemented the Individual program for M3s; the U.S. has not. BMRLVR ordered a "standard" M3 Individual color (Moonstone). Special order/request M3 Individual colors (e.g., LSB, Dakar Yellow, Brilliant White, Monte Carlo Blue, etc) may take longer. In my particular case, my car was approved in August. I understand the factories are shut down in August. So, that may have added some time.

Also in the U.S., there will be some sort of additional time required upfront to get the necessary approvals from BMWNA, BMW AG, etc to order your desired color. The amount of time for that process can be highly inconsistent depending on color, your dealer's knowledge of the process, and who they work with at BMW.
      02-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
So I've got 2-4 weeks and 6-10 weeks.. is this because one order is from canada and the other from US?
Correct.

Canada has the full BMW Individual Program...while the U.S. market gets the occasional "special order color" approved by BMWNA. (on a very limited basis)

You'll see what I mean, if you actually try to order one of these cars. (since you live in the United States)
      02-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 View Post
Here are a few dates from the build process of my car if it will help out any.

8/7/08 - individual color approved/allocation granted
9/24/08 - production started
10/6/08 - production completed
10/30/08 - arrived at port (Charleston, SC)
11/21/08 - picked car up at Performance Center

I would point out a few things that may account for some differences between the length of time in the U.S. (as Lemans has said) and what BMRLVR experienced in Canada. Canada has officially implemented the Individual program for M3s; the U.S. has not. BMRLVR ordered a "standard" M3 Individual color (Moonstone). Special order/request M3 Individual colors (e.g., LSB, Dakar Yellow, Brilliant White, Monte Carlo Blue, etc) may take longer. In my particular case, my car was approved in August. I understand the factories are shut down in August. So, that may have added some time.

Also in the U.S., there will be some sort of additional time required upfront to get the necessary approvals from BMWNA, BMW AG, etc to order your desired color. The amount of time for that process can be highly inconsistent depending on color, your dealer's knowledge of the process, and who they work with at BMW.
What a great synopsis of the time line, thank-you !! I hope mine makes it from the boat in Germany to me here in as short a timeframe as yours did.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
scmguru
Rep

I wonder what the likelyhood of getting an approval on brilliant white will be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Correct.

Canada has the full BMW Individual Program...while the U.S. market gets the occasional "special order color" approved by BMWNA. (on a very limited basis)

You'll see what I mean, if you actually try to order one of these cars. (since you live in the United States)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
I wonder what the likelyhood of getting an approval on brilliant white will be.
Think positive!!! I'd bet your chances are pretty good, there are a few of them in the US already.
Appreciate 0