BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

Mporium BMW

12-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Winter Wonderland - California's Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountain Range

Disclaimer : I am not a pro in photography. It's more of a recent hobby of mine. Matter of fact, I just bought my first DSLR a few months ago after going through a few point and shoot cameras in the past few yeras. I am still in early stages of learning the features of the new camera and peculiarities of digital imaging/ photography. This site has been a very helpful resource. There are many here whom I have learned a lot from. This is my first real contribution ...I appreciate any inputs (good and bad).

================================================== =====

My family and I had a chance to visit California's Eastern Sierra Nevada mountain range last week during the Christmas Holiday. We arrived on Wednesday afternoon after driving 5 1/2 hours from LA. The road travel was wonderful as the ascent to the higher elevation was accompanied by increasing beauty of winter in the Sierra mountains. Once we arrived at the town of Mammoth Lakes, the snow fall began full force. It turned to a full force blizzard with winds in excess of 45 mph for the next 24 hours. Once it went away, it was time to get out to witness one of the most wonderful winter scenery you can imagine. While my family and our friends decided to hit the slopes for skiing and snowboarding, my brother-in-law and I decided to hit the road for some photography in and around June Lake and Mono Lake. They are about 12-15 miles north of Mammoth Lakes and a popular destination for tourists who are into photography because of their natural and unusual beauty.

Here are a few photos I took. I hope you enjoy them.

Camera : Nikon D40x
Lens : Nikkor DX 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED
Filter : Hoya UV and Cir-Polarizing
Exposure/ Speed : Mostly automatic or semi-automatic settings (I'm still learning, you know!)
Attached Images

Last edited by Tondtar; 01-01-2009 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

hey man,

great photos, well done.
      12-31-2008, 01:14 AM   #3
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

HORY CWAP!

Those are nice!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Nice pictures! Do you have a codo there or something?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

The scenery's gorgeous and all, but you mean to say you were at Mammoth at the conclusion of a massive powder dump and you DIDN'T GO SKIING????
Sorry, but as much as I love photography and the Sierras in general, what you've described is utter sacrilege.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
wow. nice pictures. they look good!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 03:17 AM   #7
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Okay, those photos are amazing. I would really want to go there during this time as very few people usually go to these places during this time, except for people from L.A.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
hey man,

great photos, well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
HORY CWAP!

Those are nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee View Post
wow. nice pictures. they look good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
Nice pictures! Do you have a codo there or something?
Thanks for the kind words. No, I don't have a condo up there but I wish I did. As a matter of fact, I did some research and talked w/ couple of realtors this time around. Although the prices have come down around 25% last year, still it's out of my range to own one by myself. Some family members and I are looking into co-ownership as an option. I would love to have a place there. There are lots of things happening around summertime there also i.e., hiking, mountain biking, boating/ jet ski, water skiing, fishing, horseback riding and camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
The scenery's gorgeous and all, but you mean to say you were at Mammoth at the conclusion of a massive powder dump and you DIDN'T GO SKIING????
Sorry, but as much as I love photography and the Sierras in general, what you've described is utter sacrilege.
I wish I was an skier. My futile attempt in learning how to ski many years ago was interrupted for good after sustaining a massive knee injury (soccer accident) followed by couple of major surgeries and years of rehab. I am more of a "sipping cognac, reading a good book next to the fireplace at the lodge" kinda guy these days. I was actually happy to see myself out in the snow enjoying another form of recreation this time around (i.e. photography). The place was too gorgeous to stay indoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
Okay, those photos are amazing. I would really want to go there during this time as very few people usually go to these places during this time, except for people from L.A.
Actually, Mammoth is not such a best kept secret among Los Angelenos anymore. I met people from Northern California and Oregon there this time as well as hearing French, Hindu and German spoken in and around us everywhere. Of course, the place was swamped with Persians, Latinos, Koreans, Japanese and other Asians. Sort of like LA but with lots of snow around

Last edited by Tondtar; 01-01-2009 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0