BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

questions for SC'd guys.......

Was just wondering from you guys that are SC'd, and had a local shop install it for you, how'd you coordinate getting the software installed on the car? Did you bring your laptop to the shop? Did the shop do it all for you? Just curious to the best/easiest way to do this. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Was just wondering from you guys that are SC'd, and had a local shop install it for you, how'd you coordinate getting the software installed on the car? Did you bring your laptop to the shop? Did the shop do it all for you? Just curious to the best/easiest way to do this. Thanks.
Most reputable shops will load the software on for you as part of the installation service. Most S/C systems have an ODB flashloader option that allows end-user capability or even DIY installs.

Best to simply call beforehand and check with your specific installer. Or bring a netbook just in case.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Most reputable shops will load the software on for you as part of the installation service. Most S/C systems have an ODB flashloader option that allows end-user capability or even DIY installs.

Best to simply call beforehand and check with your specific installer. Or bring a netbook just in case.
Yes, Tom, i'm specifically talking about an ESS kit. In other words, how would the installer get the software/tune to begin with, without me having it on my laptop and bringing it to the shop? Sorry if this sounds like a newb question, but just trying to make the installation process go as smooth as possible
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Yes, Tom, i'm specifically talking about an ESS kit. In other words, how would the installer get the software/tune to begin with, without me having it on my laptop and bringing it to the shop? Sorry if this sounds like a newb question, but just trying to make the installation process go as smooth as possible
Files can be emailed by ESS or the end user to the installer, they are small (~5mb unzipped). We have a FAQ here that will give a rundown on how to use the E_Flash loader and flash your M3:

FAQ: ESS E-Flash ECU Performance Software Tune
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769500

Just don't forget to bring your E-Flash cable!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Files can be emailed by ESS or the end user to the installer, they are small (~5mb unzipped). We have a FAQ here that will give a rundown on how to use the E_Flash loader and flash your M3:

FAQ: ESS E-Flash ECU Performance Software Tune
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769500

Just don't forget to bring your E-Flash cable!
Thanks for the input Tom, i appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Space Ghost
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You can always take the less technological route and ship your DME to the tuner.

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Professional shops will complete the job
For you from start to finish. My shop was in touch with Vf throughout the install process.
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
kiln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Tim. What kit are you getting? I plan on going fi as well but will b doing the install myself. I need a ride asap .

Ryan
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiln View Post
Tim. What kit are you getting? I plan on going fi as well but will b doing the install myself. I need a ride asap .

Ryan
Hey man, decided on the ESS vt2-585 kit......should arrive tomorrow but probably won't have it installed for about 3 weeks.....got too much going on the next couple of weeks to have the car out of commission for a few days
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiln View Post

Ryan
Hey man, decided on the ESS vt2-585 kit......should arrive tomorrow but probably won't have it installed for about 3 weeks.....got too much going on the next couple of weeks to have the car out of commission for a few days
Very nice, great choice! Congrats!!!
If you have a laptop with windows, I would suggest you do the tune or have the shop use your laptop, this way you familiarize yourself with the process, which is extremely easy to do BTW. That way if you ever need an update or need to clear codes etc. you will be able to do it yourself, and not at the mercy of a shop.

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 02:12 AM   #11
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

If your at all mechanical, I suggest trying the install yourself. I have lots of reasons for this but probably the best is troubleshooting in the future should a problem arise. Flashing the DME with the ESS loader is super super easy.

Jason
      04-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
If your at all mechanical, I suggest trying the install yourself. I have lots of reasons for this but probably the best is troubleshooting in the future should a problem arise. Flashing the DME with the ESS loader is super super easy.

Jason
It's not a question of not knowing how to do it really..........I have the Evolve software now which i installed. I just didn't know if i was expected to bring my laptop over to the shop to install the software there or if i should email the files to the shop, or if the shop would do it straight from ESS.........just didn't know what others on here were doing and what was the easiest way to do the install
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #13
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
Very nice, great choice! Congrats!!!
If you have a laptop with windows, I would suggest you do the tune or have the shop use your laptop, this way you familiarize yourself with the process, which is extremely easy to do BTW. That way if you ever need an update or need to clear codes etc. you will be able to do it yourself, and not at the mercy of a shop.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to a "new" car
And yes, i suppose i'll just bring my laptop to the shop........just didn't know if that was the most common/easiest way of going about installing the software/tune
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
It's not a question of not knowing how to do it really..........I have the Evolve software now which i installed. I just didn't know if i was expected to bring my laptop over to the shop to install the software there or if i should email the files to the shop, or if the shop would do it straight from ESS.........just didn't know what others on here were doing and what was the easiest way to do the install
You can do it yourself at the shop if you want but in most cases the shop will do it for you during the installation process. You will keep the cable and have the interface software on your laptop if you ever need to do updates in the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
You can do it yourself at the shop if you want but in most cases the shop will do it for you during the installation process. You will keep the cable and have the interface software on your laptop if you ever need to do updates in the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Thanks Roman, just sent you a pm.
Appreciate 0