BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

08-05-2009, 04:31 AM   #23
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Save 3 grand and get the manual.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 05:32 AM   #24
Wads
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 & Tuned Focus ST

Garage List
Surfclown......

DCT.... I've always been an automatic hater, DCT is the ONLY auto I've driven that was a good replacement for a 6 speed manual..... I can heel toe and still love to drive a manual BUT I still bought DCT and have been very happy with it...... the vast majority of drivers will be quicker in the DCT version compared to the manual. I do some amatuer roadtesting for a few websites using Racelogic Performance Box to log performance figures.... in the 6sp E92 Coupe the best 0-60mph time I could manage was 4.8sec, the best in my DCT Vert is 4.5sec. If you want to be fast get the DCT...... if you want to feel rewarded for getting a fast time because of your own skills as a driver get the manual.

EDC...... I have one of the few M3s in the known world (at least it seems that way as every other M3 I've seen in the flesh has EDC) that doesn't have EDC and its fine..... Jethro Bovingdon from Drivers Republic tested my car (in a three way test with the E90 and E92 at Silverstone) and had this to say "My E90 runs on EDC suspension and 19-inch wheels, the E92 Coupe is on 18s, EDC and has the trick twin-clutch gearbox and the E93 Convertible is also on 18s and the standard passive suspension, but also with the DCT 'box. Fascinating to try manual and DCT back-to-back, and to drive an M3 on 18s is a rare privilege. Speaking of rare, to drive an M3 without EDC must make me one of two people outside of the M Division to try this suspension (the other being Wads himself)! ....... Wads' car is quicker than the early press car we drove even with just 1300-miles on the clock. And it sounds glorious - louder than the saloon and coupe by some margin, even with the roof up...... The standard non-adjustable suspension feels terrific at low to medium speeds. Perhaps it's a shade stiffer than an EDC car in Comfort mode, but the damping feels supple and somehow the car seems to breathe more lightly across the surface. There is a penalty at higher speeds, though. There just isn't the ruthless control, the unflappability you get with EDC."

Convert or not? If you like the open top you will regret not buying one! The minor loss in performance compared to the saloon is MORE than made up for by the fantastic noises you get from the V8 with the roof down..... the only time you'd ever know that you had the slower version is if you lined up next to a fixed top M3, but even then it could be a manual driver who would have to try VERY hard to beat you in a DCT vert.

P.S. If you are buying in Italy you'll probably be able to spec the black shadowline trim rather than the standard brushed chrome

Testing soon: Lambo LP670 SV and Ferrari 430 Scuderia
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #25
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 Sedan

Just another point coming from an ex-E46 M3 Vert owner to an E90 M3...When the top was down on the E46 M3, there was still room in the trunk to have luggage..with the E93 M3 & top down, you won't be able to store even 1/3 of what you did with the E46 M3...It was the trade off for a solid droptop when top is up. When I saw that at the dealership, when I was looking at the E9xs, my thoughts of going Vert went away.

I bought the E90 M3 because it is my family car. I miss the E46 M3 Vert at times, but I know that if the E46 M3 origionally came as a sedan, I would have only gotten that back then too!

As for the DCT, I wish there was one available when I purchased my car, but I'm getting better at shifting again...both my E46 M3s were/are SMG and haven't driven a stick in like 6 years...but I'm learning that if you shift at around 5500 RPM around town, you get much smoother shifts.
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #26
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfclown View Post
Montoya,

Sounds like you are having the same type of day I'm having

For about an hour, before I posted my questions, I was going through all the threads that complained about DCT lag problems. As I didn't see any threads titled "Man I love my DCT" I was left with the obviously mistaken impression that everyone had problems with it. Since then, I have seen lots of good opinions about DCT.

So, in summary, sorry for my poorly framed question. I had no intentions of insulting anyone, and have loved all the feedback I've gotten. I may not be able to test drive with DCT, so just trying to make as bestly informed decision as possible (maybe a coin toss). But, as many have pointed out, I'm sure I'll love the car either way - So I'm not too worried about it.
Sometimes this medium has a way of leaving the wrong impression. I apologize if I in return came off short tempered, and I appreciate your nicely worded response. I probably deserved something worse!

So, to the fun stuff!

As a former SMG owner for six years I will have to say the DCT is a huge upgrade. I love driving manuals also, and I love getting a heel and toe correct, but I am also a fan of technology and racing. DCT is the closest thing to what you can get in a race car and not be wearing a helmet and Hans device!

It is the fastest way around a track, awesome on a twisty road and great around town. The biggest bonus is that now my wife can drive my car too. With the old SMG she drove it once and never again after a roll back on a stop with a hill. The hill hold feature, creep and totally smooth automatic mode makes it a cinch for her to drive like any other car. Meanwhile I am always in S3 to S6 having a blast and pretending I'm in an F1 car!

Up until my E46 M3 I've always driven manuals- but like I have said before, they are going the way of carburetors... Drive one if you can, it sold me in an instant.

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 GT3 now in my garage!
'10 X5 3.5D
'12 E91 Xi Wagon MT sports package
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #27
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 Sedan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
The biggest bonus is that now my wife can drive my car too. With the old SMG she drove it once and never again after a roll back on a stop with a hill. The hill hold feature, creep and totally smooth automatic mode makes it a cinch for her to drive like any other car.
One EXTREMELY nice feature on the E9x M3 6 SP is that it brakes the car completely at a stand still, so when you are on a hill of any angle it doesn't allow the car to roll until you give it gas!
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
Appreciate 0