BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

primary cat delete vs primary cat delete + tune

So, what's the general consensus on how much a "tune" helps with performance when you delete your primary cats. From what I understand, the biggest bang for the buck hp/tq wise, is deleting your primary cats. However, that will undoubtedly result in a CEL. The only way to get rid of that annoying light is to get a tune (or the CEL eliminator that Akra makes). So, does the "tune" really help much horsepower wise?

For example, I could buy the Turner Test pipes (or just cut out the primary cats myself and weld in some pipe, which essentially does the same thing that Turner does for $350). . . from what I understand this will yield somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20hp. If I ADD a tune onto that mod, how much more hp/tq will I gain???? Am I looking at another 10-15hp?....so a total of 25-35hp?

I'm just a little skeptical on how much a tune will help...for the price (most tunes are around a $1,000), I'm trying to understand if the tune is really worth it...or if I could live with the CEL. I'll fail emissions regardless of the CEL being there or not by removing my primary cats.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
So, what's the general consensus on how much a "tune" helps with performance when you delete your primary cats. From what I understand, the biggest bang for the buck hp/tq wise, is deleting your primary cats. However, that will undoubtedly result in a CEL. The only way to get rid of that annoying light is to get a tune (or the CEL eliminator that Akra makes). So, does the "tune" really help much horsepower wise?

For example, I could buy the Turner Test pipes (or just cut out the primary cats myself and weld in some pipe, which essentially does the same thing that Turner does for $350). . . from what I understand this will yield somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20hp. If I ADD a tune onto that mod, how much more hp/tq will I gain???? Am I looking at another 10-15hp?....so a total of 25-35hp?

I'm just a little skeptical on how much a tune will help...for the price (most tunes are around a $1,000), I'm trying to understand if the tune is really worth it...or if I could live with the CEL. I'll fail emissions regardless of the CEL being there or not by removing my primary cats.
The concensus is normally the primary cat delete and software is in the 25-35rwhp range. Some have gotten a little more, some a little less but you will be in that range.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:

Why would you fail emissions test if your CEL was removed by a tune? Do they visually check the underside of the car?
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

so does the car go into limp mode if the sensor isn't plugged in?

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood07 View Post
Why would you fail emissions test if your CEL was removed by a tune? Do they visually check the underside of the car?
I believe you will fail 02 readiness check....even with the tune that removes the CEL.

Some with HFC's are passing (barely), by driving around and warming up the car first before bringing it in..but a full on "delete" of the primaries is going to be tough to pass emissions.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood07 View Post
Car won't pass the OBD readiness with the CEL disabled for the catalyst inefficiency. In most, all?, states the shop is also supposed to do a visual inspection as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
so does the car go into limp mode if the sensor isn't plugged in?
Which sensor? The primary is monitored and used to make adjustments, so that would be extremely bad to disconnect. I can't see any advantage to disconnecting the secondary either as the ECU is trying to compare the signal from the primary to the secondary, so that will definitely screw it up.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Some with HFC's are passing (barely), by driving around and warming up the car first before bringing it in..but a full on "delete" of the primaries is going to be tough to pass emissions.
My car has gone about 3k miles of mixed driving without a CEL on the fabspeed HFC with the extenders. Pretty pleased about that actually.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
A modular bolt in system where the cats can be easily replaced would be nice. A quick swap done the garage for emissions and then back to the primary bypasss :-). Oh well, just haring a thought.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
M3DCTBT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

A correct tune will pass readiness with the cel removed.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3DCTBT View Post
A correct tune will pass readiness with the cel removed.
Thanks brendan. Did you get my PM on yuppie btw?
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0