BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

12-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

my detailing shopping cart for the upcoming m3 arrival

impatiently awaiting delivery of my new m3 (see other threads)

put together some last minute things to order from detailers domain.

I have tons of MF towels , drying towels, adams shampoo, sonax wheel cleaner , etc; already from detailers domain ..

going to get the leather master kit seems like it will keep the seats looking fresh all the time

also going to get the auto finesse all in one that just came out..

generally I am again all in one products.. but auto finesse seems to put out good products and I notice they use this at detailers domain themselves and I trust their input on items..

anyone have any first hand experience with the auto finesse triple ??
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s View Post
impatiently awaiting delivery of my new m3 (see other threads)

put together some last minute things to order from detailers domain.

I have tons of MF towels , drying towels, adams shampoo, sonax wheel cleaner , etc; already from detailers domain ..

going to get the leather master kit seems like it will keep the seats looking fresh all the time

also going to get the auto finesse all in one that just came out..

generally I am again all in one products.. but auto finesse seems to put out good products and I notice they use this at detailers domain themselves and I trust their input on items..

anyone have any first hand experience with the auto finesse triple ??
Not bad. Even for a new car, make sure the dealer doesn't wash your car. Assuming it was never washed, the swirls should be at a minimal. From there, you personally wash the car using the two bucket method, IronX it, clay, seal it and wax. That's usually good for at least 6 months depending on your storage and the products you use.

I love my sonax and while it's nice, if you want, to save some money, you can buy the wolf's chemical deionizer. It will work on the whole car like IronX and on the wheels like Sonax. Lots of towels of course. I like using the new Chemical Guys' Honeydew Soap. Doesn't strip as much sealant/wax as other soaps.

This is all what I use, obviously everyone has their preferences

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
Nuke818
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Some dealers do a good job of washing. Personally I researched and saw a member had posted to go and look at several of the black cars on the lot and see if there are swirl marks. I tried to make sure to also look at cars the same color as mine to see if there were any swirl marks on them. You might not be able to work your way around getting it washed. If your dealer does the perma plate on the interior then they'll probably wash it.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep

ray catena is notoriously good at detailing their cars... my dad bought a CPO white CLK convt from them 2 summers ago... car was prepped meticulously... best paint prep ive ever seen from a car dealer.

plus my buddy works there as a delivery coordinator and he said they generally take precautions and use quality stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Triple is a good product from what I've seen. If you dig through this section you can find a demo of it being used on a black hood with great results. Don't forget it has some fillers in it and abrasives so while it knocks out some defects it will hide others
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Triple is a good product from what I've seen. If you dig through this section you can find a demo of it being used on a black hood with great results. Don't forget it has some fillers in it and abrasives so while it knocks out some defects it will hide others
yeah i saw the example of it that why I am definitely interested in it !
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I suggest a starter kit off autogeek.net with a D/A orbital sander..check out their instructional videos on how to wash/clay/compound/polish your car properly.

Its very informative and you can learn alot..I do all my own detailing now.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontrelli View Post
I suggest a starter kit off autogeek.net with a D/A orbital sander..check out their instructional videos on how to wash/clay/compound/polish your car properly.

Its very informative and you can learn alot..I do all my own detailing now.
I used to detail cars alot... I had a PC 7424 and all adams product... ran out of product, sold the PC with intentions to buy the flex 3401 just never got the chance to pick it up and got extremely busy with work
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I used to detail cars alot... I had a PC 7424 and all adams product... ran out of product, sold the PC with intentions to buy the flex 3401 just never got the chance to pick it up and got extremely busy with work
Confused..so if you have detailed before..why this thread?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

besides everything already mentioned, you need to get a good wheel brush. brake dust sucks and all the oem wheel styles are a bitchto clean
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Confused..so if you have detailed before..why this thread?
was curious on consumers first hand experience /opinion on auto finesse triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
besides everything already mentioned, you need to get a good wheel brush. brake dust sucks and all the oem wheel styles are a bitchto clean
ya I got a nice wheel brush recently... didnt even get to use it yet on anything actually.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep

Quote:
was curious on consumers first hand experience /opinion on auto finesse triple...
check out this thread

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768194

To be honest I dont like to use any products with fillers for paint correction..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I believe I have a thread on here somewhere, used Tripple to remove scratches on door handles on my girlfriends old car.

Tripple is an amazing product, for sure. I love it and use it pretty much all the time. It is true that it is a light polish, but I do not believe it has fillers in it. It will remove a good amount of swirls, but not all of them.

It does a great job for what it is, a quick all-in-one. Great when you're strapped for time.
      12-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I believe I have a thread on here somewhere, used Tripple to remove scratches on door handles on my girlfriends old car.

Tripple is an amazing product, for sure. I love it and use it pretty much all the time. It is true that it is a light polish, but I do not believe it has fillers in it. It will remove a good amount of swirls, but not all of them.

It does a great job for what it is, a quick all-in-one. Great when you're strapped for time.
Tripple has fillers in it thats why its an all in one.....rule of thumb is any polish you can use by hand is generally going to have fillers.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #15
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Tripple has fillers in it thats why its an all in one.....rule of thumb is any polish you can use by hand is generally going to have fillers.
I have it, read the labels, etc. No where does it mention anything about any fillers.

Maybe the sponsors can chime in on this. Not that it really matters, like I said, it's does a good job for what it is.
      12-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep

how well does the iron cut/ iron x w.e work ? do I need to use that and still clay or is that replacing claying... i assume the paint will be in at least decent condition an not full of containment when i first get the car ...

so many new things out in the detailing world recently...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep

Quote:
how well does the iron cut/ iron x w.e work ? do I need to use that and still clay or is that replacing claying... i assume the paint will be in at least decent condition an not full of containment when i first get the car ...

The best way to determine if you need to clay is after you wash your car,,put a ziploc bag over your hand and run it over the finish..if it drags or snags anywhere you need to clay

Do not clay unless you need to b/c clay is abrasive, you always have to compound/polish after you clay

Doing any compound/polish by hand is a serious chore...and you wont get the best results...you need to invest in an orbital polisher if you are going to detail properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:

detailers usually use iron x first to make the claying stage much easier
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #19
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

Quote:
The best way to determine if you need to clay is after you wash your car,,put a ziploc bag over your hand and run it over the finish..if it drags or snags anywhere you need to clay

Do not clay unless you need to b/c clay is abrasive, you always have to compound/polish after you clay

Doing any compound/polish by hand is a serious chore...and you wont get the best results...you need to invest in an orbital polisher if you are going to detail properly.
I was just about to make this point. Claying (no matter how much or which type of lubricant you use) creates micro-marring. You pretty much have to polish with at least a fine grade product after claying. An orbital polisher would be a must in this case.

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz335 View Post
I was just about to make this point. Claying (no matter how much or which type of lubricant you use) creates micro-marring. You pretty much have to polish with at least a fine grade product after claying. An orbital polisher would be a must in this case.
would triple be an abrasive enough of a polish ? cause its an all in one thats the point that confuses me ...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #21
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

Quote:
would triple be an abrasive enough of a polish ? cause its an all in one thats the point that confuses me ...
Yes, that should be fine It's a polish, glaze and wax all in one. . Although keep in mind that triple has fillers in it so it may hide deeper swirl marks and marring that were not polished down.

Polish removes swirls and marring, glaze fills in whatever the polish didn't remove and the wax protects the paint from further damage.

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint

Last edited by Raz335; 12-05-2012 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #22
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke818 View Post
Some dealers do a good job of washing. Personally I researched and saw a member had posted to go and look at several of the black cars on the lot and see if there are swirl marks. I tried to make sure to also look at cars the same color as mine to see if there were any swirl marks on them. You might not be able to work your way around getting it washed. If your dealer does the perma plate on the interior then they'll probably wash it.
I use to be very diligent about washing my own car but for a period of time I got lazy...never again!

Sure there are places that do a good job, especially if you go to specialty detailers but in general you just end up with an almost clean car and bunch of swirl marks
Appreciate 0