BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #45
Better With Age
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
listening to the cold start cycle is the best part of my day.
DITTO !!!

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #46
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Cold startup isn't that bad. With a good aftermarket exhaust it sounds a little like Satan has released the Hounds of Hell, especially in a parking structure. It may not be for everyone but, I like having the neighbors think the apocalypse has begun...especially my neighbors to the right. Hearing them complain occasionally puts a smile on my face. Besides, they are about 110 years old so, having them come out every few days to moan about the 45 seconds of M3 Hellfire let's the rest of us know they are still alive. See, I'm doing the community a service with my Akrapovic Evolution cold start up earthquake.

Oh yea, it's fun to set off car alarms too.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #47
SAINT VAN ROCK
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012, E92 DCT M3

Garage List
"not a comforting sound"..... First world problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #48
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

Quote:
listening to the cold start cycle is the best part of my day.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2767 View Post
I am looking for a M3 and i have heard the V10 M5 when cold and its not a comforting sound, but i have never heard an V8 M3 (cold or otherwise) engine sound. Are the noisy when cold and how should it sound when at operating temp?
Just buy a Prius if your worried about a Naturally Aspirated V8 or V10 engine making their symphony of music!

Neither are a comforting sound, just get something else.

Last edited by STi_traitor; 12-09-2012 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #49
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It's grumpy, raspy, and burbles in all the right ways. Contrary to it's small displacement for a V8, the S65 makes some fantastic sounds. The car roars to life and then settles into a somewhat gruff idle that's sure to get the attention of any gearhead. I've actually gotten many comments from non car enthusiasts about how much they like the sound of the car.
Yeah, I had a guy with a Prius compliment the sound once. He was very impressed with the Cold Start.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #50
p-streets
M3NTAL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

When you wake and if you don't have morning wood start your car you will get a morning log lmao I love it I have a Remus race with some cat delete pipes and when I start it in the garage I no the ppl next door shit there pants and it's not just the exhaust the engine sings rite along with it that's the great part
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #51
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
From what I'm told, if you've got certain aftermarket exhausts (and especially if you're running catless), the cold start is so loud that it's oppressive to you and everyone within a 1-block radius or so and is thus no longer fun. But I have a stock exhaust and agree that it's one of my favorite features of the car; I wish there were a way to tune it to do that every time.

To the OP, there are two elements of the cold start experience that you may be referring to. The first is that when started cold, the engine idles at a higher RPM (around 1100) for roughly 30 seconds. And the second is that for roughly 60 seconds after starting the engine, there's a metallic layer to the exhaust note. It's more easily noticed with the windows down and you'll definitely notice if you're idling when it goes away because the transition to a quiet smooth-running sound is abrupt. And for those first 30 seconds where you have the metallic sound AND a fast idle, you've got a pretty loud car.

And it's awesome.
I am so doing this in the condo garage this morning.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #52
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
+1

Just buy a Prius if your worried about a Naturally Aspirated V8 or V10 engine making their symphony of music!

Neither are a comforting sound, just get something else.

Read my previous posts idiot!! I'm car shopping and want opinions on what "abnormal" engine sounds to listen for while looking at cars, (engine knock etc...) im not complaining about how loud they are, take the time to read all the previous posts before making a stupid comment trying to make yourself sound cool....
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #53
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I am looking for a M3 and i have heard the V10 M5 when cold and its not a comforting sound, but i have never heard an V8 M3 (cold or otherwise) engine sound. Are the noisy when cold and how should it sound when at operating temp?
Quote:
Read my previous posts idiot!! I'm car shopping and want opinions on what "abnormal" engine sounds to listen for while looking at cars, (engine knock etc...) im not complaining about how loud they are, take the time to read all the previous posts before making a stupid comment trying to make yourself sound cool....
That's not very nice! I was referring to the very first post on the thread, which I and highlighted in red above. As so, I was giving you an answer to your question with a bit of humor. Try not to take forums so seriously my friend. Besides, the Prius is a very ECO friendly car.

On a more serious note, you should listen for a high revving V8 naturally aspirated engine. Smooth ride with little to no sound being that its a BMW with a high price tag. The M3 is known for being the more road noisy car of BMW's for the fact that they sacrificed some sound proofing material to save in weight. If you hear anything other than engine and tire noise you should try to pinpoint the noise and have them check it out. The cold start is a loud metallic process that last maybe two minutes and unfortunately its gone. I hope that helps.

Keep your head up champ!

Last edited by STi_traitor; 12-09-2012 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #54
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I don't think op is referring to the cold start as much as the fact that all m engines sound like sewing machines and are not "Lexus" quiet and if course this is accentuated with the cold start too.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #55
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

I agree that I enjoy the sound at startup too!
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #56
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #57
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

This is how I do it in the morning:
Step 1 make sure garage door is closed.
Step 2 hit start button quickly so power but not engine comes on
Step 3 roll down windows, mute radio.
Step 4 start the engine.
Step 5 Say to self "Holy F@ck that is loud"
Step 6 suffer thru rest of the day cuz it is such a letdown
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #58
umichchris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 ///M5

i have an E60 M5 with the notorious V10....cold start is fucking awesome! if you have the hood open you hear all this ticking (which can be frightening if you dont know any better) it sounds light a banche is trying to fight its way out of my car and i love it!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #59
Sam_Fisher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Do we have to wait till cold start is over, then start driving? Or can we start driving as soon as we start the engine?

Of course I'm not going to rev it hard, just keeping it at 2000-3000RPM, until it warms up. Just wondering if it's bad for the engine to drive the car when it's still cold?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #60
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
Do we have to wait till cold start is over, then start driving? Or can we start driving as soon as we start the engine?

Of course I'm not going to rev it hard, just keeping it at 2000-3000RPM, until it warms up. Just wondering if it's bad for the engine to drive the car when it's still cold?
Give it 30 seconds for the idle to to drop, then drive off. The point is to warm up everything together. Diff, tires and fluids.
Appreciate 0