BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

12-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
IamFODI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

OE Bluetooth retrofit: SOS warning but everything else works

Snagged a TCU, BT antenna, and mic off eBay to add Bluetooth to my new-to-me '08 M3. The car has just the Professional head unit and no iDrive. Everything was plug-and-play; once I got the connections right, it all worked. Didn't even need to be coded.

A couple of days later, I got the SOS call system malfunction warning on startup. However, as far as I can tell, Bluetooth and audio still work 100%.

It's hard to find a thread that relates to my situation; the similar complaints all seem to be on iDrive-equipped cars, and most involve a different pattern of problems (e.g. intermittent failure, Bluetooth/audio dying when the warning comes up).

I'm getting the impression that I just have to have the SOS system coded out. But in that case, why did the warning take a couple of days to appear? Thought a connection might be loose, but in that case why haven't I noticed any other problems?

Is there anything I should look at besides coding? TIA!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 11:30 PM   #2
askme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Vert E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamFODI View Post
Snagged a TCU, BT antenna, and mic off eBay to add Bluetooth to my new-to-me '08 M3. The car has just the Professional head unit and no iDrive. Everything was plug-and-play; once I got the connections right, it all worked. Didn't even need to be coded.

A couple of days later, I got the SOS call system malfunction warning on startup. However, as far as I can tell, Bluetooth and audio still work 100%.

It's hard to find a thread that relates to my situation; the similar complaints all seem to be on iDrive-equipped cars, and most involve a different pattern of problems (e.g. intermittent failure, Bluetooth/audio dying when the warning comes up).

I'm getting the impression that I just have to have the SOS system coded out. But in that case, why did the warning take a couple of days to appear? Thought a connection might be loose, but in that case why haven't I noticed any other problems?

Is there anything I should look at besides coding? TIA!
I am hoping you get an answer, I have the same setup (no iDrive etc) but still have the other issues you mention.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 02:38 AM   #3
Skifahrer
Freerider
Germany
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, F98 X4M, I01 94Ah

You can do a workaround and put following values in KOMBI to nicht_aktiv:

- TCM_ALIVE_MONITOR -> nicht_aktiv
- TCM_ID_MONITOR -> nicht_aktiv
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
askme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Vert E93

Meant to ask, which TCU model number did you get?

BTW, another new Philly '08 M3 here and I am just figuring this car out.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 09:39 PM   #5
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Add -TELD to the VO and factory code the kombi, MRS, 2rad, TCU and FZD.
Appreciate 0