BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

View Poll Results: What's been your experience with scoops?
Scoops are not junk science, and I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a small performance gain 27 14.36%
Scoops are a waste of time and money. 50 26.60%
I've got them, but can't really say whether or not they were worth it. 47 25.00%
No experience with scoops -- I'm useless. 64 34.04%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

10-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #45
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

I plan to buy a set and do a test this winter with my Performance Steering Wheel which shows peek speed of each lap.... I will do it on a road course...

I will

Run laps stock
Run laps with vent in hood taped off
Run laps with scoops
Run laps with scoops with vent in hood taped off

Do 4 laps each time.. And see if the peak speed at the end of the front straight changes... If they make a difference then a 140mph run with consistent start speed and start point will definitely tell the truth...
      10-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #46
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

THEN.. i will take the scoops off because i dont want direct scoop sucking in as much dirt and leaves and whatever into my intake box...
      10-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #47
aremmell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M4 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEH View Post
I plan to buy a set and do a test this winter with my Performance Steering Wheel which shows peek speed of each lap.... I will do it on a road course...

I will

Run laps stock
Run laps with scoops

Do 4 laps each time.. And see if the peak speed at the end of the front straight changes... If they make a difference then a 140mph run with consistent start speed and start point will definitely tell the truth...
Awesome, can't wait
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #48
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEH View Post

I will

Run laps stock
Run laps with scoops

Thats cool but some simpler well controlled straight runs would be much simpler and more telling. Of course instrumentation is required.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #49
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
My offer still stand to let somebody come to my house, borrow the Video VBox, and I'll point them to a perfectly lonely (straight) road near my house. Where's all the scoops fan-boys when you need them?
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #50
e90mod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3/4 Family sled!

Seal off hood vent?

Does anyone know what the real purpose of the hood vent is? Is it just another point of air intake under throttle? Would sealing it create more of a ram air effect or would it just remove a legitimate point of cool air intake?

They must have engineered it that way for a reason, no?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #51
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
My offer still stand to let somebody come to my house, borrow the Video VBox, and I'll point them to a perfectly lonely (straight) road near my house. Where's all the scoops fan-boys when you need them?
I'd love to be directed towards a lonely, straight road, sans the scoops though.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #52
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90mod View Post
Does anyone know what the real purpose of the hood vent is? Is it just another point of air intake under throttle? Would sealing it create more of a ram air effect or would it just remove a legitimate point of cool air intake?

Yes, it was engineered for a reason. I don't recall the specifics, so, if more details are required, there's always . However, I have some general recollections: : a.) it's there for a good reason; b.) the engineers knew what they were doing; c.) sealing it would be a very bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #53
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Yes, it was engineered for a reason. I don't recall the specifics, so, if more details are required, there's always . However, I have some general recollections: : a.) it's there for a good reason; b.) the engineers knew what they were doing; c.) sealing it would be a very bad idea.
Yes, it's ludicrous to think the BMW engineers spent the effort and cost to install an intake that reduces performance. I'm not sure how someone could even think that.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #54
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Yes, it's ludicrous to think the BMW engineers spent the effort and cost to install an intake that reduces performance. I'm not sure how someone could even think that.
Maybe he's got a bee problem! There was this one guy on here who had some kind of problem with bees that seemed to like the vent opening.

I guess if you've got a bee problem, then you might want to seal it rather than suck in a bunch of angry bees!

Note: I think the productive part of my day is long gone! I'll look at a few more query results and call it a day!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #55
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Maybe he's got a bee problem! There was this one guy on here who had some kind of problem with bees that seemed to like the vent opening.

I guess if you've got a bee problem, then you might want to seal it rather than suck in a bunch of angry bees!
Hey, you could harvest the honey every once in a while - sweet!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 01:02 AM   #56
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90mod View Post

Thanks
I initially thought it was in an area of low pressure, however, it is most likely that it is in an area of high pressure which benefits the volumetric efficiency at large throttle openings.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 06:30 AM   #57
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

It's back far enough on the hood that it is a higher-pressure area. Closer to the windshield would have been higher, but would have looked fugly. Front of hood is low pressure.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #58
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

I don't think the hood vent is a high pressure area, at least relative to the air box. At highway speeds after washing or in the rain I see water droplets blowing up/out of that vent. I think the main purpose is to keep cool air flowing through the air box even when you are at partial or zero throttle so when you first go WOT, the engine isn't getting a slug of hot air.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #59
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

It probably helps at high RPM... The shorter the length for the intake the easier it is for the engine to get air at high RPM... This is just a guess to the hood vent. To imagine a situation think about when you're breathing really fast, for example right after a run around the block. Is it easier to breathe through a long piece of hose or a really short one? I bet the hood vent works in a similar fashion, there's much less duct work for air to flow through before getting to the engine making it much easier for the engine to breathe.
      10-18-2009, 11:31 PM   #60
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
It probably helps at high RPM... The shorter the length for the intake the easier it is for the engine to get air at high RPM... This is just a guess to the hood vent. To imagine a situation think about when you're breathing really fast, for example right after a run around the block. Is it easier to breathe through a long piece of hose or a really short one? I bet the hood vent works in a similar fashion, there's much less duct work for air to flow through before getting to the engine making it much easier for the engine to breathe.
Although there could be some tract length effects my suspicion is quite a bit simpler. At higher rpm there is obviously a higher flow rate required and the total inlet area must support that flow with as little restriction as possible. Without the vent the front facing intake would probably choke the flow rate down too low. So using your analogy it is probably more like one big straw might make breating uncomfortable after a job, however, adding on additional small straw could be just enough to remove the discomfort.
Appreciate 0