BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

Question For E93 Owners With ACM OEM Exhaust Mod

I was wondering whether anyone has an E93 with the ACM OEM Exhaust Mod? I have been researching exhausts (for MANY hours), as I recently got an E93 (traded up from an E46 M3 Convertible) and I find that the car is just too quiet with the windows and roof up driving around town at under 3,500 RPMs. Anything over 3,500 RPMs, windows down, or roof down sounds great. Clearly the hardtop roof + sound deadening materials really insulate our cars and I miss the sound I used to hear with my old soft top so I'm trying to get some more noise back into the cabin at under 3,500 RPMs.

I recently drove in a car with the M Performance Exhaust and it really didn't add any cabin noise below 3,500 RPMs, so it's definitely not a good fit for me.

One board member recently suggested I look into the ACM OEM Exhaust Mod, so I'm curious to hear if other E93 owners who have it think it is a good solution for more cabin noise under 3,500 RPMs? It's worth noting that I have never modified a car before so I'm not looking for something that is crazy loud, as I don't want to attract too much attention. I just want more noise so I can feel more involved every time that I drive, even at low RPMs.

Thanks in advance for everyone's feedback/help,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

My oem exhaust mod.

1-Click on my username
2-Click on find more post by ///M Power- Belgium
3-See post+pictures about my oem exhaust-mod.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

The sound you are looking for is the opposite of what most people want. Most want something more tame in the low rpm range but screaming when you step on it.

But like the poster said above, I recommend the traditional oem mod (replacing 2 perforated pipes). It will give you a noticeable increase in sound but still retain stock characteristics when cruising on the highway. I have this and love it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
raywong
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92M3

I have oem mod and primary cats removed. It is really loud.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for everyone's replies so far - I really appreciate it. I have MANY threads on the ACM OEM Exhaust Mod but I started this thread asking E93 owners because I figured the sound insulation was slightly different between our cars and E90/E92.

Any other E93 owners have any thoughts about in-cabin noise under 3,500 RPMs with the windows up (see my original post above)? Thanks for everyone's help!

Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
1-Click on my username
2-Click on find more post by ///M Power- Belgium
3-See post+pictures about my oem exhaust-mod.
Will definitely read your review - thanks very much!

Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
The sound you are looking for is the opposite of what most people want. Most want something more tame in the low rpm range but screaming when you step on it.

But like the poster said above, I recommend the traditional oem mod (replacing 2 perforated pipes). It will give you a noticeable increase in sound but still retain stock characteristics when cruising on the highway. I have this and love it.

Thanks for your thoughts - I appreciate it. Based on my HOURS of reading threads, I'm thinking the amount of sound I'm looking for in the cabin might be better suited to the straight-through (ACM) method, as I don't want to sound to come up short. After hearing the MPE in a drive in someone's car this week I am definitely concerned about not having enough noise in the cabin.

The best I can describe what I am looking for is a similar amount of cabin noise (with the windows up) compared to an E46 M3 Convertible or an E60 M6 Convertible. Both have much higher levels of sound in the cabin stock compared to the E93 due to the soft top. I owned 3 E46 M3 Convertibles and I felt much more connected to the car and much more involvement with driving at lower RPMs due to the sound in the cabin so that's what I'm hoping to get back, possibly with the ACM OEM Exhaust Mod. I have never modified an exhaust before so I'm trying not to get something too loud on the outside, as I honestly don't want to attract attention. I just want to hear the car all of the time while I'm driving it!

Thanks for everyone's help,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

I know someone with a E93///M3 and also with this exhaust mod. and you hear the
exhaust note even more in cabin,and important.....also without drone !
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyr4 View Post
I have never modified an exhaust before so I'm trying not to get something too loud on the outside, as I honestly don't want to attract attention. I just want to hear the car all of the time while I'm driving it!

Jeremy
I don't think what you looking for exists. Anything that is loud inside will surely be loud outside. Like I said, most people want something quiet inside and loud outside but you seem to want the complete opposite. The ACM mod will be loud both inside and out.

Maybe a louder intake would suit your needs better?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't think what you looking for exists. Anything that is loud inside will surely be loud outside. Like I said, most people want something quiet inside and loud outside but you seem to want the complete opposite. The ACM mod will be loud both inside and out.

Maybe a louder intake would suit your needs better?

I completely understand and agree but I do need more noise in the cabin. So I guess realistically I'm trying to find something that will provide additional noise in the cabin without being obnoxious outside and that will attract as little attention as possible. I honestly care more about the inside noise than outside noise so if need be I will be ok with a LOT of noise outside if it provides me with what I'm looking for in the cabin. Optimally I'm hoping to find something that just won't be obnoxious outside.

As for the louder intake, I honestly don't know whether that would do it, only because I have never modified a car before. I'm absolutely open to any thoughts or suggestions - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well if you are ok with it being loud outside too then just go for the ACM mod. You won't be disappointed, especially with the top down it will be a whole new experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well if you are ok with it being loud outside too then just go for the ACM mod. You won't be disappointed, especially with the top down it will be a whole new experience.

Thanks. I'm ok with it being loud outside, as long as it's not obnoxious or "gets everyone's attention" loud. That being said, I'm thinking the ACM mod might be a good fit for me, although I still haven't heard one in-person.

To other E93 M3 owners with the ACM mod, can anyone confirm whether the sound with the windows and roof up is similar to his video starting at 1:20?

It sounds fantastic to me with the windows up (of course it's hard to know exactly how loud it is from watching a video) but I believe this is not the ACM mod but something similar done by another Board Member a while ago.

Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
urBan_dK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Garage List
The video you linked is the original OEM exhaust mod, not the ACM.

An intake filter will certainly liven up the sound in the cabin a bit.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by urBan_dK View Post
The video you linked is the original OEM exhaust mod, not the ACM.

An intake filter will certainly liven up the sound in the cabin a bit.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess that means that the ACM mod will sound even letter. Clearly I'm going to have try to listen to the mods in-person to properly judge. And thanks for the intake filter suggestion - I will look into it.

Any other E93 owners who have done the ACM mod have an opinion of the sound of the video vs the sound of an ACM mod in the cabin with the windows up?

Thanks again,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #15
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

If you want it to be loud........ you should do a full system, not just axel back
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:00 AM   #16
TerryHollp
Rep
Drives: audi

You won't be disappointed, especially with the top down it will be a whole new experience.
      09-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
First time I hear an OEM part that sounds this aggressive. Good job in the video!
Appreciate 0