BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

10-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

08 DCT Transmission Issues

Has anyone had any sort of issues related to shifting between N, R and D? I feel that I might but I'm not sure if its normal.

I feel some minor jolting when I go from N to R or from N to D while completely stopped. Hard to explain but I can feel the gears shifting and it kind of shakes the car a bit.

Anyone know what I am talking about? Seems normal to me but since I have an 08 just want to double check. I don't want anything to get worse if it needs attention.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

I haven't experienced what you described. I really have to look at the dash to have confirmation that I've gone to or from reverse.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
noxredna
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 M3, 1M, F10 M5

Yes, it does shake the car a little bit.

I think that is normal for any DCT or Sequential Manual Gearbox.

My F430 does the exact same thing, so does my M3.

No worries unless the jerk is extremely violent, if it is a light thud and you can hear the change of the gear.. that is just the normal process the car goes through while changing gears. Remember, as much as M3 DCT drives like an automatic when put on D, it is not... ultimately it is still a manual car.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep

thanks nox i tested it out again today and it seems pretty normal. just a little movement and sound.. im feeling better now
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 01:47 AM   #5
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxredna View Post

lol lol yea my veyron does the same thing, completely normal... haha

no but seriously it is normal, plus its a bmw let it break doesnt make a difference for you let the dealer deal with it if you have any problems
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 02:45 AM   #6
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxredna View Post

I think that is normal for any DCT or Sequential Manual Gearbox.

No worries unless the jerk is extremely violent, if it is a light thud and you can hear the change of the gear.. that is just the normal process the car goes through while changing gears. Remember, as much as M3 DCT drives like an automatic when put on D, it is not... ultimately it is still a manual car.
Yes it is perfectly normal to have an ever so slight jolt, it's just the clutch engaging the gear that is selected. I too have experienced it in other DCT transmissions and in the SMG which are Ferrari F1 transmissions.

Never drove an M3 with SMG to know if it was the same but the M5 also had it but from memory it felt less.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 03:05 AM   #7
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328

Clicks, but no jolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmamg View Post
Has anyone had any sort of issues related to shifting between N, R and D? I feel that I might but I'm not sure if its normal.

I feel some minor jolting when I go from N to R or from N to D while completely stopped. Hard to explain but I can feel the gears shifting and it kind of shakes the car a bit.

Anyone know what I am talking about? Seems normal to me but since I have an 08 just want to double check. I don't want anything to get worse if it needs attention.
The only thing I hear is a click below the shifter on the console when I shift into R. I asked a buddy that's a SA at the local dealership, and they say that is normal. I'm not experiencing what you describe.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPS View Post
The only thing I hear is a click below the shifter on the console when I shift into R. I asked a buddy that's a SA at the local dealership, and they say that is normal. I'm not experiencing what you describe.

Bob
Same click I get but nothing else
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Maybe each person's opinion of what a jolt means is the problem here. Some might think you feel the car shudder which in my car's case is not how I find it. The jolt is a slight jolt felt through the lever as the clutch engages.

OP, is this what you are meaning or is it altogether more noticeable than that?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 12:09 AM   #10
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Maybe each person's opinion of what a jolt means is the problem here. Some might think you feel the car shudder which in my car's case is not how I find it. The jolt is a slight jolt felt through the lever as the clutch engages.

OP, is this what you are meaning or is it altogether more noticeable than that?
yea exactly.. its very light and definitely seems like its the normal routine the transmission goes through.. the car doesn't shake from side to side.. just a light movement
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 05:41 AM   #11
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmamg View Post
yea exactly.. its very light and definitely seems like its the normal routine the transmission goes through.. the car doesn't shake from side to side.. just a light movement

Then your car and transmission is 100% OK. Nothing to concern yourself with.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 01:52 AM   #12
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep

now there is a new problem.. while in S5 the shifts are very jerky.. totally not what i was expecting from double clutch. its retarded like SMG shifting jerks.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #13
trumanhw
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

Yes, there are lags here and there, such as in selecting drive (M or D), and yes, skipping 2 gears isn't as fast as shifting by 1, as it obviously has 2 clutches, not one. As an E46 owner as well, I have to say, it is a QUANTUM leap. The E46 at best feels like a beginner learning to drive a clutch, and even still, out performed the MT. This generation's transmission is stupendous. The wish list for me would have been STATIC paddle location; If I had an F1 car's turning ratio in which the wheel's left side could never be on the right, it would be a non-issue. However, there are turns in which I want a different gear (diminishing radius where engine drag and g-force is the mechanism of deceleration) that I want to prepare for maximal torque exiting my apex. At this point I'm obligated to devote consciousness from a precise exit strategy on to which hand my downshift paddle is nearest, or, remove my hand giving up fine tuned steering as two handed steering provides and using the lever. Less of an issue but still on a wish list, that the CENTER of the wheel didn't turn, so all the radio/phone buttons never moved either. As of now, with 1000 miles on the car, I DEFINITELY drive it smoothly. There is NO circumstance in which I don't have a method for creating smooth transitions if that be the priority of my mode, and I will NEVER be able to produce a better 5 minute section of driving that is varying gears with an MT; a human cannot outperform a computer's consistency. If actuating the clutch your self is how your testicularly validated, do whatcha gotta do.

I have NEVER enjoyed a car as much as this one, either as passenger nor driver. And this car is straight BI-POLAR! I can set it in the soft suspension/transmission mode and it feels about as smooth as a Continental, yet in the aggressive settings it is a twitchy eager assertive beast. I've had a Supra TT dyno-ing at 420 ft/lb, which no doubt was faster - but nothing offers this sort of versatility AND commitment to performance. NOTHING.

I will be upping my horsepower with a series of stickers, and Ill let you all know how many I get out of each one.

Buyers remorse is the only justification for those with MT's criticizing the DCT.

I. Am. In. Love.

Although... I have to admit, I could always use a little more power.

Last edited by trumanhw; 10-16-2008 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
trumanhw
Rep

Oh - and on the freeway? GOOD LUCK to an MT owner keeping maximal torque on command but comfortable RPM in between... the MDCT can jump the exact number of gears instantly. What human could memorize the gear # per speed for optimal torque and implement such calculations in fractions of a second?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #15
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep

sounds a little like a bmw commercial haha but thanks. i definitely thing dtc is superior to manual in all aspects.

but my car doesnt shift as smooth as everyone was making it out to. i still jerk back and forth shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 in S5. wtf man? maybe the idrive update will help.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #16
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6 View Post
lol lol yea my veyron does the same thing, completely normal... haha
My Veyron too!

But to the OP, my DCT does this also.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #17
man02195
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 M-DCT, SG-status 111

Kinda off topic, but I was tired of driving like an old man with complete stops when I'm turning around and found you can depress the brake pedal slighly (just enough to turn on the brake lights and disengage the shift lockout but not hard enough to stop), and shift before you're stopped and then give it some throttle.
      10-16-2008, 05:20 AM   #18
trumanhw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by man02195 View Post
Kinda off topic, but I was tired of driving like an old man with complete stops when I'm turning around and found you can depress the brake pedal slighly (just enough to turn on the brake lights and disengage the shift lockout but not hard enough to stop), and shift before you're stopped and then give it some throttle.

Wait! EXPAND! I want to understand what you're saying and don't completely yet. I dislike DCT's reservation about accepting gear changes at nearing stopped speeds.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #19
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Guys,

I just got an update for the new gearbox as well. However, I am in a little phobia cause my dealership changed the oil for my transmission. I declined to collect the car when I found out and made a complain to BMW Asia. They sent someone down and accessed that the gearbox is fine as the gearbox oil did not get up to temp to cause any damage. They checked everything and flushed the system twice. I have no problems this far but I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have been driving the car very hard and it performs seamlessly everytime with no issues at all. I just love how this thing dont lag anymore.

However, I just want to check with those who got the new software, that in Auto mode, when you are slowing down say from high gears down to either 3rd or 2nd gear and suddenly accelerate, there is some hesitation before the gear is completely engaged and have a clunk sound like when you are slowing down to 1st gear. Just want to confirm this to put my mind at ease. Those who havent get the new software, get it. Its great. i would only expect it to get better as time passes by when they release improvments to the software.

Thanks in advance guys.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #20
trumanhw
Rep

What changes have you noticed SPECIFICALLY in the new SW.?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #21
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Normal.

The jolt you feel is related to the preload torque in the gearbox when parked. Try this experiment. Park on a medium sloped hill. Stop the car, don't use the park brake, turn off the car, let it place the DCT in P automatically, restart the car and feel that jolt when you place the car back in gear. The preload simply makes the gears stick more, requiring more force from the actuators to move the selectors and syncros. Repeat the same thing but use the park brake firmly before shutting off the engine - you find way less jolt.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #22
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep

I just got back from the dealer today and after a drive with one of the techs, i guess its normal. that slight push forward as im changing gears is normal. I feel it more in S5 and a lot less in S3/4 so i guess ill drive in S3/4 until a software update is available in SoCal. until then.. we'll see
Appreciate 0