BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

06-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
spoolin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Castrol Edge Supercar

I ordered my normal case of Castrol Edge 10w-60 on Amazon recently and opened the box(labeled Castrol Edge) to find castrol edge "supercar" 10W-60 in the box. It appears to be the replacement for the previous 10W-60 as this is the only oil in this viscosity listed on Castrol's website.

Does anyone know if they changed the formulation at all? I am assuming that this is just a marketing change.

Link to Castrol Edge Supercar description:http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-.../supercar.html
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Probably a marketing thing to go along with the below listed on their website.

Quote:
Approved for BMW M-Models.
Approved for use in Koenigsegg engines.
Suitable for use in Aston Martin V8 Vantage S, Audi R8 V10 GT, Bugatti Chiron, Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and Ferrari FF
Appreciate 1
meko177.00
      06-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #3
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

i use it. no issues
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 12:28 AM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Nothing new, Castrol has rebranded the same oil in different markets for as long as I can remember. Pretty much everyone does it.
      11-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

just landed on this thread after i ordered TWS Edge Pro and received a box of 10W60 Edge supercar instead. Went to the castrol website entered E92 M3 in their oil search tool and it said this : "Unfortunately we cannot determine a suitable product for your vehicle. This may be due to the fact we do not have a product that matches your specification or more information regarding your vehicle is needed. We recommend contacting your local Castrol dealer or distributor to get a specific recommendation.".

On the edge 10W60 supercar product page they say : "Approved for BMW M-Models." So what does this conflicting info means ?

Had GetBMWPart.com not advertised their product as the Edge Professional i would have gone with shell.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #6
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (F82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmun340 View Post
just landed on this thread after i ordered TWS Edge Pro and received a box of 10W60 Edge supercar instead. Went to the castrol website entered E92 M3 in their oil search tool and it said this : "Unfortunately we cannot determine a suitable product for your vehicle. This may be due to the fact we do not have a product that matches your specification or more information regarding your vehicle is needed. We recommend contacting your local Castrol dealer or distributor to get a specific recommendation.".

On the edge 10W60 supercar product page they say : "Approved for BMW M-Models." So what does this conflicting info means ?

Had GetBMWPart.com not advertised their product as the Edge Professional i would have gone with shell.
Maybe because they aren't the official supplier any more they no longer list it online..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
Rajmun340
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romemmy View Post
Maybe because they aren't the official supplier any more they no longer list it online..
why not, they benefit from listing as many compatible cars for their oil.
In anyways, i used it and engine runs great. I would say more smoothly than the Shell 'tubo' that seemed to congest the engine. Now the engine sings those nice low bass flute sounds again.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:57 AM   #8
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
why not, they benefit from listing as many compatible cars for their oil.
In anyways, i used it and engine runs great. I would say more smoothly than the Shell 'tubo' that seemed to congest the engine. Now the engine sings those nice low bass flute sounds again.
Perhaps contractually they aren’t allowed to. I’m assuming that if a manufacturer, like Shell, goes through all the hoops and cost to become the official oil, they wouldn’t want the previous supplier to be allowed to continue listing their oil as official. Also, since Castrol aren’t official any more they are free to change the formula of their oil without checking with BMW, which actually might make it incompatible at some point. It would be confusing for customers, especially in a warranty situation, if Castrol stated they were compatible, but then turned out not to be due to a formula change.

No matter what we think of oil similarities, manufacturers and suppliers are bound by very precise legal language, so it makes sense they wouldn’t list it for fear of lawsuit.

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
Rajmun340
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romemmy View Post
Perhaps contractually they aren’t allowed to. I’m assuming that if a manufacturer, like Shell, goes through all the hoops and cost to become the official oil, they wouldn’t want the previous supplier to be allowed to continue listing their oil as official. Also, since Castrol aren’t official any more they are free to change the formula of their oil without checking with BMW, which actually might make it incompatible at some point. It would be confusing for customers, especially in a warranty situation, if Castrol stated they were compatible, but then turned out not to be due to a formula change.

No matter what we think of oil similarities, manufacturers and suppliers are bound by very precise legal language, so it makes sense they wouldn’t list it for fear of lawsuit.

Thanks!

S.
Oil manufacturers don't make oil formulas for just one single engine from a single manufacturer, that would be impractical from a business standpoint. The oil brand recommendation by bmw has more to do with customer steering as part of an inter-company deal. BMW recommendation is just that, a recommendation. Misinterpreting a recommendation as a legal clause affecting the car warranty is preposterous. Show me the part of the car warranty that says something along the lines : if shell turbo 10W60 oil is not used for the E9x M3, warranty is automatically voided. You will not find anything. Ridiculous. The spec for the S65 is synthetic 10W60. Beyond that it is up to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #10
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oil manufacturers don't make oil formulas for just one single engine from a single manufacturer, that would be impractical from a business standpoint. The oil brand recommendation by bmw has more to do with customer steering as part of an inter-company deal. BMW recommendation is just that, a recommendation. Misinterpreting a recommendation as a legal clause affecting the car warranty is preposterous. Show me the part of the car warranty that says something along the lines : if shell turbo 10W60 oil is not used for the E9x M3, warranty is automatically voided. You will not find anything. Ridiculous. The spec for the S65 is synthetic 10W60. Beyond that it is up to you.
My point is YOU can choose whatever 10W60 you want and BMW can’t really deny your warranty (though even there I could see that if you used an extremely budget oil that was low quality, advertised as 10W60, cost $1/quart, etc, BMW could deny the claim and have you go sue that oil company for making poor quality oil), but for an oil manufacturer to specifically state that they are recommended, approved or compatible with a specific make and/or model without any indemnification from the manufacturer of the vehicle (which they would have lost if they aren’t the official supplier) then that opens them up to a lawsuit from the manufacturer, and strengthens any case a consumer might have.

I’m not even talking about the real world situation of what’s compatible or not - Lawyer’s work in hypotheticals and risk mitigation so they would not want to leave themselves open to something they are out of control on.

Besides, trademarks and copyrights typically prevent a company without approval using the marks of another company. Shell would want to make sure that right is exclusive to them if they enter in to a deal with BMW - for purely financial and marketing reasons.

Thanks,

S.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 02:53 AM   #11
Drv4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 (original owner)

Anyone else’s oil cap say Castrol on it? 😂

OP - I too just purchased Castrol from the dealer and got supercar. However the link you posted still lists Edge 10w-60 where the other two specifically state supercar and the 10w-60 does not. I suppose the website has not been updated.. thus it still says approved for BMW M cars.. what I can tell you is that I still have the original 10w-60 that came with the new car and it has slightly different specification than the supercar.
Original 10w-60 API SM/CF
Supercar 10w-60 API SN/CF
Twin Turbo 10w-60 API SN

Looks like “supercar” is the new marketing for the SN specification.

From page 62 of the sup manual (2013)
——
Alternative oil types
If BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil is not available, you can add small quantities of other synthetic oils in between oil changes. Only use oils with the following specifications:
> Viscosity:
Preferred: SAE 10W-60;
alternative: SAE 10W-40, SAE 5W-50 or SAE 10W-50
> Specification:
API SJ/CF, API SK/CF or higher *(note my car came with a bottle of SM)*
Low ambient temperatures
The oils used at BMW factories for your vehicle type are suitable for virtually any ambient tem- perature. However, if the vehicle is operated at temperatures below –4F/–20C for extended periods, your BMW center will be glad to rec- ommend an optimal oil.
BMW recommends Castrol.
——

So SJ, SK or higher which the supercar is SN.

Here we see that they also alluded to using a different viscosity for very cold climates which I believe there are a few other threads on..

Also see page 60 for explanation of the oil level display.

Most of all enjoy the v8!!

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-...h-as-api-sm-cf

Last edited by Drv4fun; 01-19-2018 at 04:03 AM..
Appreciate 0