BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 Coupe

Would Love Some Advice Please....

Hey guys,

I just bought an M3, and my shop told me they can put a tune in to get to around 510hp. Is this possible? What tunes do you have? and what gains should I expect?

Other than a tune I was thinking of switching up the exhaust.

Anything else that I can do? Or is the next step save up for an ESS supercharger?

I previously has a 328i that I mainly modded the exterior since not much I could do to the engine. Now with the M3 I am going the opposite route
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Sorry, the shop you are using doesn't know what they're talking about. With all of the bolt-ons available plus a tune, you would only be in the 400hp range. Of course if they are talking about flywheel hp, then that's another story but no one really focuses on that number.

Just do your research. All the info you're looking for is already here.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Sorry, the shop you are using doesn't know what they're talking about. With all of the bolt-ons available plus a tune, you would only be in the 400hp range. Of course if they are talking about flywheel hp, then that's another story but no one really focuses on that number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Never go back to that shop. Either they tried to rip you off, or they are f@cking retarded. Both scenarios are equally bad.
+3.......Some of these people will say anything for a buck.........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Hey thanks for the response, I have been browsing the forums, and noticed you have some great/informative posts on here.

I am a little confused, doesn't the M3 have 414hp stock already? Why would a tune only be around the 400hp range...looks like I need to do a lot of reading lol. Or maybe I am referring to flywheel hp? damn I dont know, thats just whats listed on the specs sheet

Yeah shop told me the tune will give me 80 more hp.

Have not paid for anything, just doing research right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Never go back to that shop. Either they tried to rip you off, or they are f@cking retarded. Both scenarios are equally bad.
Dually noted...time to do some serious research.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

He's referring to wheel HP.......no one uses crank numbers ........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok_2011 View Post
Hey thanks for the response, I have been browsing the forums, and noticed you have some great/informative posts on here.

I am a little confused, doesn't the M3 have 414hp stock already? Why would a tune only be around the 400hp range...looks like I need to do a lot of reading lol. Or maybe I am referring to flywheel hp? damn I dont know, thats just whats listed on the specs sheet

Yeah shop told me the tune will give me 80 more hp.

Have not paid for anything, just doing research right now.
Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Most places don't quote power in terms of flywheel power since that's just more of something for bragging than reality. Real world numbers are wheel horsepower.

All mfgs use flywheel hp for their numbers, so you are correct about the car having 414hp.

Any shop quoting you the flywheel numbers is just a place looking to take your cash.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; i3 rex; e46 M3 vert

You need a new shop.

No such "tune" exists.
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
ussoldierforhire
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

There is another BPM group buy going on now at: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784717

First page says it's closed, but it is not. Ran this tune on my car and love the results.

Quote:
Hey guys,

I just bought an M3, and my shop told me they can put a tune in to get to around 510hp. Is this possible? What tunes do you have? and what gains should I expect?

Other than a tune I was thinking of switching up the exhaust.

Anything else that I can do? Or is the next step save up for an ESS supercharger?

I previously has a 328i that I mainly modded the exterior since not much I could do to the engine. Now with the M3 I am going the opposite route
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Most places don't quote power in terms of flywheel power since that's just more of something for bragging than reality. Real world numbers are wheel horsepower.

All mfgs use flywheel hp for their numbers, so you are correct about the car having 414hp.

Any shop quoting you the flywheel numbers is just a place looking to take your cash.
Ahh ok thanks! I understand now
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussoldierforhire View Post
There is another BPM group buy going on now at: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784717

First page says it's closed, but it is not. Ran this tune on my car and love the results.
Thanks for the kind words!!

Yes, it is indeed on again. We are expanding the buy from 15 to 20 slots so get in while you can!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinzo View Post
You need a new shop.

No such "tune" exists.
Looks like you might be right
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words!!

Yes, it is indeed on again. We are expanding the buy from 15 to 20 slots so get in while you can!

Thanks guys, I will look into it
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

as mentioned no tune will give 80 hp gains! just not possible. As for the mods if you want a full bolt on m3 which will give you around 400 whp in most cases you will need the following mods ( Full exhaust + Tune + pulleys + intake) cost will be more than the entry level supercharger in most cases some full exhaust systems cost 6000+. considering your in Canada everything will be more expensive add a few hundred dollars to each with shipping and taxes. so if you want power, save your money and do the following. test pipes + a used supercharger and your done. FBO cost (5000+) supercharger USED (5000+) oh and drive to IND for you install. Hope this helps
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

Everyone here is guiding you the right way...RUN away from any shop that says they can get you that kind of power with a tune. Can go the full bolt on route with tune etc. but if you plan on wanting big power you need to go with a supercharger. If you plan on going with a supercharger in the near future then a tune would probably be a waste. I had a non FI m3 for a few years and it kept me entertained Of course this one is a totally different animal and I am really enjoying the Active kit. I have heard great things about the tune mentioned in this thread and the Evolve tune as well. Do some searching and you'll find tons of opinions but these two tunes specifically stick out in my memory.

Enjoy!

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep

ms372 and NikB316, thanks so much for the info!!!

I was worried I was going to get flamed for asking such general questions, but everyone has been incredibly helpful!

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #17
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep

Sorry one more question, if I do go with a tune (and big thank you to those that pm'd me some options), does it carry through when I put the super charger in? Or does the tune get removed?

Just thinking I want to avoid spending money on things that are just temporary. Since I plan to put the supercharger in next winter, I would think the tune is worth it if it works in combination with the supercharger. If I have to remove it, I wonder if its lost money.

Though from what I see so far, it comes with the mechanism and cable, so I can sell it after I remove it?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #18
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry one more question, if I do go with a tune (and big thank you to those that pm'd me some options), does it carry through when I put the super charger in? Or does the tune get removed?

Just thinking I want to avoid spending money on things that are just temporary. Since I plan to put the supercharger in next winter, I would think the tune is worth it if it works in combination with the supercharger. If I have to remove it, I wonder if its lost money.

Though from what I see so far, it comes with the mechanism and cable, so I can sell it after I remove it?
It just depends on what you want. A tune for a NA vehicle is different than one for a s/c so you will not use the NA one once you add a s/c. Next winter is quite a ways though so you may want something to abate the power itch
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It just depends on what you want. A tune for a NA vehicle is different than one for a s/c so you will not use the NA one once you add a s/c. Next winter is quite a ways though so you may want something to abate the power itch
You have a point there about the power itch Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #20
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:

We use the same remote tuning cable for our supercharger software and NA software, we simply send you a new tune to load when you get our kit. We also give customers who have our NA software and upgrade to our supercharger a credit towards their kit if purchased within 12 months of their NA tune purchase. Something to keep in mind if you think a supercharger purchase might be in your future.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #21
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
We use the same remote tuning cable for our supercharger software and NA software, we simply send you a new tune to load when you get our kit. We also give customers who have our NA software and upgrade to our supercharger a credit towards their kit if purchased within 12 months of their NA tune purchase. Something to keep in mind if you think a supercharger purchase might be in your future.
Ok this is great news, shop I know just put in an ESS supercharger in an M3 which is currently getting the Vosteiner body kit installed as well, and it has convinced me to get the ESS supercharger. Can you let me know pricing and discount if I buy the tune now, and the supercharger in the winter? You can pm me if you prefer.

ESS Supercharger that just got installed:

Name:  ESS Toronto.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  545.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #22
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
You have a point there about the power itch Thanks
Wait till you get a ride in one of these kits we just sent to our dealer in Canada ! Going FI will be the only thing on your mind.

Appreciate 0