BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #23
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let It Rein View Post
I did search and there's just lots of questions, not many answers. But thanks for being a smart ass and adding nothing to my question.
Dude, take it easy with Sean.

As stated previously, no worries with the e9x'sM3 clutch. 100k sounds ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #24
Let It Rein
ORNGBLD
Rep
Drives: F80 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas

Not faulty, just superseded in 2009 with a slightly larger clutch/flywheel assembly.

Problem is, both clutch/flywheel need to be changed on MY08s come replacement time since the early parts are no longer available.

The stock clutches are pretty decent, even on boosted applications.
Thanks, Tom. I guess any weakness will be exposed shortly
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #25
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post

Thanks for this tid bit of info, I've learnt something new today.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #26
IMG
United_States
Rep

BTW, BMW changed the design cause the complains they received regarding a rattle from the fly wheel.
The reason i said its a faulty designed cause that is what i was told by one of the BMW engineers in NA, but it doesn't affect driveability at all it's just the rattle in neutral.
So if you try to have the clutch replaced on an 08 M3, You are left without an unsupported flywheel cause the clutch for it doesn't exist anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #27
e92livin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Yeah I have 82,000km on my 08 M3 and my clutch feels perfectly fine, if anything I will just upgrade my flywheel to a 7lb or something see how that feels.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #28
Let It Rein
ORNGBLD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92livin View Post
Yeah I have 82,000km on my 08 M3 and my clutch feels perfectly fine, if anything I will just upgrade my flywheel to a 7lb or something see how that feels.
I havent found anyone that offers an aftermarket FW.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #29
JerryK73
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue Coupe

The clutch in my E36 M3 had around 70K miles on it when I got rid of it and there where no issues with the clutch. My E46 M3 had 113k miles on it when I finally replaced the clutch. I currently have 40k miles on my car now and it feels fine. Now mind you I don't do burn outs or track my vehicles but I do downshift all the time (not really sure if that is a factor though).
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #30
Let It Rein
ORNGBLD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
ok since you search..

I have 73k and still runs like new...
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #31
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
I did search and there's just lots of questions, not many answers. But thanks for being a smart ass and adding nothing to my question.
yea cause your question is a dumb ass.... I see this questions in every in every car forum... you know it depends on how you drive if you search harder. people that have SC have not replaced clutch and it does hold up pretty well.

at the same time... clutch depends on how you drive. people that dont know how to drive and people that abuse the the car will definately see some wear or slip.

NOT TRYING TO BE A SMART ASS BUT YOUR QUESTION PRACTICALLY DONT HAVE A REAL ANSWER. IVE SEEN PEOPLE DRIVING THIS CAR WITH 100K PLUS MILES WITHOUT REPLACING THE CLUTCH... NEXT TIME YOU ASK A QUESTION THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE POSTING. THERES NO DEFINATE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION.
      09-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #32
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yea cause your question is a dumb ass.... I see this questions in every in every car forum... you know it depends on how you drive if you search harder. people that have SC have not replaced clutch and it does hold up pretty well.

at the same time... clutch depends on how you drive. people that dont know how to drive and people that abuse the the car will definately see some wear or slip.

NOT TRYING TO BE A SMART ASS BUT YOUR QUESTION PRACTICALLY DONT HAVE A REAL ANSWER. IVE SEEN PEOPLE DRIVING THIS CAR WITH 100K PLUS MILES WITHOUT REPLACING THE CLUTCH... NEXT TIME YOU ASK A QUESTION THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE POSTING. THERES NO DEFINATE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #33
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT (2013)

The hostility displayed on this forum is staggering! ...and so we get a community that's shrinking day by day.

I don't get why some feel compelled to give shit to the OP over a perceived "dumb" question, and actually go through the effort of formulating a sharky response which makes them come off looking like a jerk to put it mildly.

-bubu
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #34
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post
The hostility displayed on this forum is staggering! ...and so we get a community that's shrinking day by day.

I don't get why some feel compelled to give shit to the OP over a perceived "dumb" question, and actually go through the effort of formulating a sharky response which makes them come off looking like a jerk to put it mildly.

-bubu
he called me a smart ass... for answering search... so i had to
      09-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #35
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Haaaaaaa. I feel this way daily!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #36
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:

oh, I think you're doin it again(being a smart ass)!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #37
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
he called me a smart ass... for answering search... so i had to
and again

is your life that miserable, to spend so much time tryin to make the OP look bad instead of just making small effort by answering his question or even easier, pass your way and don't be a jerk!

his question was legit and as you can see, everyone but you gave him a legit answer!

to OP: My M3 is an 08, I have 45k miles, my car has a VT1 and my clutch still feels like new and I'm at the drag strip at least once a month, I think the clutch is not an issue on these cars!

Last edited by Alex07M3; 09-27-2012 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #38
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
oh, I think you're doin it again(being a smart ass)!
Quote:
and again

is your life that miserable, to spend so much time tryin to make the OP look bad instead of just making small effort by answering his question or even easier, pass your way and don't be a jerk!

his question was legit and as you can see, everyone but you gave him a legit answer!

to OP: My M3 is an 08, I have 45k miles, my car has a VT1 and my clutch still feels like new and I'm at the drag strip at least once a month, I think the clutch is not an issue on these cars!

I am not trying to make anyone look or sound bad.. its a fawkin FORUM for quite out loud.. get over it.. not trying to please anyone here ... i speak my mind... all i said is to search.. .and he called me a smart ass.. so ill be one..

There is no LEGIT answer to the questions... no one really knows when the clutch will go out... i have 75k miles and mine still drives like new... I know a guy that replaced his with 35k... and another at 90k plus... and they all say minor track times and normal daily driving... also bimmerforum guys has 130k plus probably at 150 now and still original clutch. so LEGIT? dont think so... like i said its how you drive. some people say they drive like a grandma but in the end they dont know how to drive a stick so clutch went off at 30k ... so no one really knows to this question.

OH my life is just wonderful btw... i feel like this everyday

Last edited by Grail05; 09-28-2012 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #39
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I am not trying to make anyone look or sound bad.. its a fawkin FORUM for quite out loud.. get over it.. not trying to please anyone here ... i speak my mind... all i said is to search.. .and he called me a smart ass.. so ill be one..

There is no LEGIT answer to the questions... no one really knows when the clutch will go out... i have 75k miles and mine still drives like new... I know a guy that replaced his with 35k... and another at 90k plus... and they all say minor track times and normal daily driving... also bimmerforum guys has 130k plus probably at 150 now and still original clutch. so LEGIT? dont think so... like i said its how you drive. some people say they drive like a grandma but in the end they dont know how to drive a stick so clutch went off at 30k ... so no one really knows to this question.

OH my life is just wonderful btw... i feel like this everyday
Hey at least I learned something new about there not being 08 clutches being superseded. I think it's a perfectly legitimate thread. It's just nice to get a general idea of what kind of mileage people get or if people have had issues (not synchro issues).

No need to reply "Search" as that brings nothing to the people that actually want to read this. It's better than reading "Can I afford an M3 straight out of college?" threads
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #40
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 2229
Size:  9.9 KB

good info. though on the flywheel I'll have to look into that one.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #41
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Quote:
and again

+1

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #42
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:

Interesting wording...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #43
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Clutch should last you to 60K minimum.. I would say it's not unreasonable to get 100K + out of it.

My car has about 44K and feels new. I don't do a lot of launching though and rarely slip it.
+ 1 I think you should be able to get well over 100k on a stock clutch.

If you know how to drive MT and dont dump it at every stop light.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #44
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

I got about 50k miles. However, for two years I was doing a track day a month with the car.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0