BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)
View Poll Results: Which car would owned who? new M3 or IS-F
4.0 liter V8 414 HP 295 lb-ft torque BMW e90/92 M3 251 72.54%
5.0-liter V8 416 HP 371 lb-ft torque Lexus IS-F 46 13.29%
Just the same- depends on the driver 49 14.16%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

03-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #23
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

if all you care about is going fast in a straight line and in quiet comfort then get the Lexus.

if you knew anything of history you would know that the genetics of most german automobiles developed becasue of the high speed (no speed limit) autobahn. and dont insult me ....I'm only 12.
      03-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #24
gbb357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
if all you care about is going fast in a straight line and in quiet comfort then get the Lexus.

if you knew anything of history you would know that the genetics of most german automobiles developed becasue of the high speed (no speed limit) autobahn. and dont insult me ....I'm only 12.
Actually, if you look it up, the ISF is actually pretty loud and stiff. And what's the history of the Autobahn has got to do of what we're talking about. Are you saying that German cars are tested in the Autobahn and BMW is one of the best handling cars out there. Really, wow, i'm sure nobody knew about this. Thanks for the history. Back on topic, my response is due to your ridiculous comment about Toyota's and Japanese engineering in general. So let me ask you again, do you really think that BMW engineering is better because they take the Autobahn and the Japanese takes the train.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #25
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb357 View Post
Actually, if you look it up, the ISF is actually pretty loud and stiff. And what's the history of the Autobahn has got to do of what we're talking about. Are you saying that German cars are tested in the Autobahn and BMW is one of the best handling cars out there. Really, wow, i'm sure nobody knew about this. Thanks for the history. Back on topic, my response is due to your ridiculous comment about Toyota's and Japanese engineering in general. So let me ask you again, do you really think that BMW engineering is better because they take the Autobahn and the Japanese takes the train.

I never said BMW engineering is better. better is relative. Lexus engineers build a more polished, quiet smooth, isolated car than anyone else.
German cars have be bred and designed for the autobahn for the last 50 years. Japanese cars have been designed for crowded dense metropolitan centers where long distance commuting is by train. Mercedes, AUdi, Porsche, BMW all owe their last 50 years of delelopment to the Autobahn.
      03-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #26
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I never said BMW engineering is better. better is relative. Lexus engineers build a more polished, quiet smooth, isolated car than anyone else.
German cars have be bred and designed for the autobahn for the last 50 years. Japanese cars have been designed for crowded dense metropolitan centers where long distance commuting is by train. Mercedes, AUdi, Porsche, BMW all owe their last 50 years of delelopment to the Autobahn.
You know what, there's this thing called a race track. Most if not all car manufacturers that are developing a sports car take their cars to this thing called "race track" during R&D. As a matter of fact, Lexus developed the ISF with extensive testing in "The Ring" and in their own race track in Japan as well. How the engineers travel to their job has absolutely nothing to do on how a car is developed and engineered. BTW, imo, i believe that BMW is better and probably one of the best when it comes to engineering their cars on handling like a true sports car.

Last edited by gbb357; 03-28-2008 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #27
Flyingfart
Just as when I found my car, they changed it.
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90-330i

03-29-2008, 04:52 AM   #28
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Just read the results from the latest Autocar test of the IS-F and according to their findings the IS-F would 4.5s slower to 150mph than the M3 plus it's 0-100mph only recorded a 12.3s time. Conditions weren't perfect but these results are a lot worse than I would have expected considering the power/torque and weight.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #29
BMoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3MC, 2019 Audi TT RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Just read the results from the latest Autocar test of the IS-F and according to their findings the IS-F would 4.5s slower to 150mph than the M3 plus it's 0-100mph only recorded a 12.3s time. Conditions weren't perfect but these results are a lot worse than I would have expected considering the power/torque and weight.
Car and Driver has the Lexus .2 faster to 150. Conditions must have been horrible to get the times your talking about.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #30
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You know what, there's this thing called a race track. Most if not all car manufacturers that are developing a sports car take their cars to this thing called "race track" during R&D. As a matter of fact, Lexus developed the ISF with extensive testing in "The Ring" and in their own race track in Japan as well. How the engineers travel to their job has absolutely nothing to do on how a car is developed and engineered. BTW, imo, i believe that BMW is better and probably one of the best when it comes to engineering their cars on handling like a true sports car.

hey you are right - BMW has tested their cars on the race track and the autobahn since the 1930's. thats a lot of experience. now Lexus wants to challenge BMW and started doing the same about 70 years later. the point is BMW has a big head start, thats called history and heritage to some.

the quote about engineers going to work is recognized as an anology to some. post war Japan developed with the train as its main transportation and small micro cars in the cities. Germany developed based on the long, flat , sweeping autobahn with no speed limits.
      03-30-2008, 04:09 AM   #31
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Quote:
hey you are right - BMW has tested their cars on the race track and the autobahn since the 1930's. thats a lot of experience. now Lexus wants to challenge BMW and started doing the same about 70 years later. the point is BMW has a big head start, thats called history and heritage to some.

the quote about engineers going to work is recognized as an anology to some. post war Japan developed with the train as its main transportation and small micro cars in the cities. Germany developed based on the long, flat , sweeping autobahn with no speed limits.
Really! You keep pointing out the obvious. Who ever said that BMW did not have more experience and a big huge advantage. And obviously Lexus and other competition has a lot of catching up to do. Exactly what is your point or do you even have one. Your analogy does not make any sense since the cars we're talking about are tested in race tracks anyway. What does it matter if the engineers take the train or the "autobahn". And the autobahn is all straight high speed, yet you made this stupid comment. "if all you care about is going fast in a straight line...". Just like BMW started from scratch and did'nt have any history or heritage, Lexus is doing the same thing. Why is that a problem to you that Lexus or other competition is challenging BMW? Do you have personal issues, insecurities?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #32
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
BMW's motorsport heritage in the thirties is a lot more limited than the other German manufacturers. The one thing that BMW does have is a lot of experience in Touring Car racing which does help with the mainstream car they make for the public.

Toyota's advantage is their money will get them up to speed very quickly compared to other brand names. I would be surprised to see the next IS-F more than an equal to the German establishment.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #33
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
BMW's motorsport heritage in the thirties is a lot more limited than the other German manufacturers. The one thing that BMW does have is a lot of experience in Touring Car racing which does help with the mainstream car they make for the public.

Toyota's advantage is their money will get them up to speed very quickly compared to other brand names. I would be surprised to see the next IS-F more than an equal to the German establishment.
I wonder if they will put a manual trans in an F?and take out some of the quiet and comformt. How about a f1 insperied engine, not one out of the LS460 family sedan tuned by Yamaha. with all thier money and know-how you would think they could tune thier own motor.
      03-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #34
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if they will put a manual trans in an F?and take out some of the quiet and comformt. How about a f1 insperied engine, not one out of the LS460 family sedan tuned by Yamaha. with all thier money and know-how you would think they could tune thier own motor.
You just refuse to listen. Check out the 5th Gear video, it's actually louder than the M3.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #35
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
You just refuse to listen. Check out the 5th Gear video, it's actually louder than the M3.

... that is actually correct gbb, I've test driven both, the IS-F does give you a more fuller throatier sound, unlike the new M3 w/c is much quieter until you reach the high band. I feel the ISF wouldnt need anymore after market exhaust.

there a good Car and Driver magazine comparo between the two (M3/ISF)
where they really were generous comparing the two in its different aspect.
Not sure if the same article is online though.

Im sure the jury is still out on this one like it is in this thread posts, polls seems to indicate otherwise

thks for the vid gbb
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #36
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

ok - so its louder. who cares.

apperently May CandD test is out and the F gets OWNED by the M3 Sedan 6MT whcih hit 60 mph in 4.1 sec. Think of what a DCT Coupe will do? 4.0? 3.9?

who would expect to to find much love for a Toyota here on a M3Post?
      03-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #37
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Quote:
ok - so its louder. who cares.

apperently May CandD test is out and the F gets OWNED by the M3 Sedan 6MT whcih hit 60 mph in 4.1 sec. Think of what a DCT Coupe will do? 4.0? 3.9?

who would expect to to find much love for a Toyota here on a M3Post?
Don't care to get love from you, and i'm not necessarily defending Toyota, i just don't like stupid uneducated idiots like you posting nonsense. Get your information straight before you post, you're only making yourself looking like a bigger moron than you already are. For your info, C&D from the begining got 4.2 seconds before with the ISF. We're not talking about how much quicker the M3 is, we all know they're evenly match on the straights except for you. The M3's strengths really showed when it beat the ISF 4 seconds on a track course from that Japanese video.

P.S. My point is, it isn't quiet you moron, it is pretty loud during WOT.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #38
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
... that is actually correct gbb, I've test driven both, the IS-F does give you a more fuller throatier sound, unlike the new M3 w/c is much quieter until you reach the high band. I feel the ISF wouldnt need anymore after market exhaust.

there a good Car and Driver magazine comparo between the two (M3/ISF)
where they really were generous comparing the two in its different aspect.
Not sure if the same article is online though.

Im sure the jury is still out on this one like it is in this thread posts, polls seems to indicate otherwise

thks for the vid gbb
You're welcome bro. Have you decided which one you're getting? THe M3 coupe looks much nicer IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #39
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
welllll
Attached Images

Last edited by ase2dais; 03-30-2008 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #40
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
but I'll wait awhile and let hype settle down ... it was like this when the M5 and 335i came out.

.. Im enjoying the time, thank god my current M3 is still very much sustaining me. Classic!
The fun this in the wanting and waiting
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #41
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!^^^^^^ I'm glad you're getting AW, best color IMO. Post pics as soon as you get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #42
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
... its quite surprising some non-BMW forums even have good words to say about not only the e90/2 M3 but M3 in general.

http://www.fdivision.org/forums/arch....php/t-28.html

.... that ISF is a force to be reckon with, too early to predict everything.. M3 is most favored in looks and historical performance
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #43
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

If you want LOUD, just put a coffee can and rice out your IS300 and save the money.

BTW the M3 ownes the F at Laguna seca. by a second. In the CandD article they say the driver admits to messing up in the M3 thru the corkscrew so it should have been by more. also the M3 was a sedan 6MT. the coupe with DCT will be even faster.

-----IS-F (M3)
0-60 4.4 (4.1)
0-100 10.0 (9.8)
0-150 25.0 (24.9)
1/4mile 12.8@114 (12.6@113)
Braking 166 (161)
Skidpad 0.92 (0.95)
---
Laguna Seca 1:45.10 (1:44.10)*
      03-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #44
gbb357
Captain
Rep

^^^^Read my post you moron. The M3 beat the ISF by 4 secs in another race. What's my IS300 got to do with this argument. Obviously you don't have anything intelligent to say except to bash Lexus and my car. Just so you know i'm an AMG fanboy, bashing Lexus does nothing.
Appreciate 0