BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #45
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324 View Post
Great post! Always love your inputs on stuff like this.

Anyways, my car never made a single sound up until a few months after I put the blower on. It got pretty noticeable a few months in, I just recently took the blower off and the sound is still present, but it seems to be very very faint (not as loud of a ticking). This is extremely weird, for if the ticking was a bearing issue wouldnt it make the same noise all the time in direct correlation with the crank? Could it be related to the stress on the motor as well? Meaning for example after doing 5 consecutive 60-130 pulls with 8lbs of boost in the motor it would tick alot louder then, as opposed to me just driving around naturally aspirated. At first when I got the car back I didnt hear any sounds so I thought the ticking had to do with the blower, but then the past few days I've been paying very close attention and the sound still is there, but nowhere near as loud or prominent. Does this make any sense? To me it doesn't, because a bearing on its way out would make the same noise all the time, but you obviously know alot more than me so I figured I'd ask..
I can't say for sure what the ticking is in your engine, but, I can tell you I have some intermittent ticking that sounds just like that in my car but it only occurs right after an oil change, and then it goes away completely after a few days. Since it is an intermittent tick, I have concluded it is valve train noise in my car. Since hydraulic lifters don't like heavy oil, I think that the 10W60 needs a chance to shear down a bit (as it has been known to do) and then the lifters are happy with the viscosity. One thing I am sure of, is if the noise comes and goes it most likely isn't a bearing noise. The S65 has a noisy valve train, and hydraulic lifter noise can come and go at varying volumes and frequencies. Bearing noises almost always start off subdued and get louder and louder as the issue progresses, until finally there is a failure or excessive loss of oil pressure, enough to turn on the oil pressure warning at idle usually. One thing to note about bearing noises, is that they have a specific frequency and it is directly related to engine RPM, they are almost never an intermittent noise.

Take the car out and drive the piss out of it, Lots of high RPM/redline driving. This will do two things, 1)It will ensure the lifters are full and all air is blead out of them and 2)The oil is at full operating temperature. One other thing of note is that the check balls in hydraulic lifters sometimes won't seat properly seat if there is debris in the oil. ensure you are changing the oil at 7500 mile intervals max, BMW's recommended oil change intervals are just plain too long.

Keep me up to date on how you make out, I am very interested to see if your engine stops making this noise!

Last edited by BMRLVR; 09-26-2012 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #46
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Great post! Always love your inputs on stuff like this.

Anyways, my car never made a single sound up until a few months after I put the blower on. It got pretty noticeable a few months in, I just recently took the blower off and the sound is still present, but it seems to be very very faint (not as loud of a ticking). This is extremely weird, for if the ticking was a bearing issue wouldnt it make the same noise all the time in direct correlation with the crank? Could it be related to the stress on the motor as well? Meaning for example after doing 5 consecutive 60-130 pulls with 8lbs of boost in the motor it would tick alot louder than when I just drive around now naturally aspirated. At first when I got the car back I didnt hear any sounds so I thought the ticking had to do with the blower, but then the past few days I've been paying very close attention and the sound still is there, but nowhere near as loud or prominent. Does this make any sense? To me it doesn't, because a bearing on its way out would make the same noise all the time, but you obviously know alot more than me so I figured I'd ask..
if it was your main bearings than yes the noise would always be there and would correlate to RPM (flucuating noise up and down). Also, it would onlt get worse, never better. IMO I would just drive the car and stop worrying; if it ain't broken, why worry?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #47
erm324
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
if it was your main bearings than yes the noise would always be there and would correlate to RPM (flucuating noise up and down). Also, it would onlt get worse, never better. IMO I would just drive the car and stop worrying; if it ain't broken, why worry?
I was extremely concerned becuase I was pushing 600+rwhp on the stock bottom end in a car that comes stock with 330rwhp and is known to have a small % of cars that have bearing issues

A ticking sound that is coming from the motor is not something that should whimsically be dismissed when your pushing the car to its absolute potential. But now that the car is stock I dont give the slightest shit about it anymore and if it blows it blows and I bring it to the dealer.

Last edited by erm324; 09-26-2012 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #48
erm324
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
I can't say for sure what the ticking is in your engine, but, I can tell you I have some intermittent ticking that sounds just like that in my car but it only occurs right after an oil change, and then it goes away completely after a few days. Since it is an intermittent tick, I have concluded it is valve train noise in my car. Since hydraulic lifters don't like heavy oil, I think that the 10W60 needs a chance to shear down a bit (as it has been known to do) and then the lifters are happy with the viscosity. One thing I am sure of, is if the noise comes and goes it most likely isn't a bearing noise. The S65 has a noisy valve train, and hydraulic lifter noise can come and go at varying volumes and frequencies. Bearing noises almost always start off subdued and get louder and louder as the issue progresses, until finally there is a failure or excessive loss of oil pressure, enough to turn on the oil pressure warning at idle usually. One thing to note about bearing noises, is that they have a specific frequency and it is directly related to engine RPM, they are almost never an intermittent noise.

Take the car out and drive the piss out of it, Lots of high RPM/redline driving. This will do two things, 1)It will ensure the lifters are full and all air is blead out of them and 2)The oil is at full operating temperature. One other thing of note is that the check balls in hydraulic lifters sometimes won't seat properly seat if there is debris in the oil. ensure you are changing the oil at 7500 mile intervals max, BMW's recommended oil change intervals are just plain too long.

Keep me up to date on how you make out, I am very interested to see if your engine stops making this noise!
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. The issue seems to manifest itself after I give the car a good beating. It never happens when the car is cold - seems only when the oil gets heated up and thins out.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #49
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. The issue seems to manifest itself after I give the car a good beating. It never happens when the car is cold - seems only when the oil gets heated up and thins out.
really sounds like speculation at best. If you're that worried I would've never SC the car.

But def keep in mind that all M cars make a lot of valvetrain noise.

My e46 m3 used to sound like a sewing machine, and my e90 isn't too quiet either; you need to learn to discern the differences in sounds (i.e. valvetrain noise or something bad).

Just enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 03:16 AM   #50
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I was extremely concerned becuase I was pushing 600+rwhp on the stock bottom end in a car that comes stock with 330rwhp and is known to have a small % of cars that have bearing issues

A ticking sound that is coming from the motor is not something that should whimsically be dismissed when your pushing the car to its absolute potential. But now that the car is stock I dont give the slightest shit about it anymore and if it blows it blows and I bring it to the dealer.
Why did you go from supercharged to stock? What blower?

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #51
Gatchaman
Rep
Drives: 12 M3 AW DCT

Well...12 days in the shop now. The ticking sound was what most of the other people have reported. Main crank and bearings. Can't say I'm real happy, especially being so new.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 02:09 AM   #52
RushRuin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Was there a resolution to this sound? Have same suddenly sound in 2011 M3 ZCP @ 46K miles.
      06-26-2015, 02:59 AM   #53
Gatchaman
Rep
Drives: 12 M3 AW DCT

After the main crank replacement the ticking (between 1.5/2.5k rpm) was gone. It's at 47k now.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #54
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Anyone who know what happend with the OP, MatthewDavid' fix?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #55
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
@RushRuin and Helmsman unfortunately I don't have anything to help you guys. The engine was dismantled to some extent by the dealer and BMW's regional M technician I believe and they found nothing. A few thousand miles later (maybe 8-9k on the ODO) the ticking miraculously disappeared. Totally bizarre. I had the car up to about 50k miles or so before trading it and there were zero engine or other problems.
      06-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #56
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Thanks for the update Matthew!

And, what now, bought another M3 or just hanging around for old time sake mate?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #57
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman
Thanks for the update Matthew!

And, what now, bought another M3 or just hanging around for old time sake mate?

Cheers
I got an M4 in April! It comes with its own unique sounds just like the E92 haha
      06-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #58
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid View Post
I got an M4 in April! It comes with its own unique sounds just like the E92 haha
Hey, sounds great, maybe I missed your initial review, if not looking forward to your post bro!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #59
MineralWhiteDropTop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

Welp, after noticing a non rhythmic ticking sound during idle when my car was warm earlier this week, I decided it was not normal and time to jump on the trusted m3post.

After watching the video at the top and reading, I am about ready to head to the dealer and flip out. I have 2013 with 21k miles and I love my M.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 10:14 PM   #60
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteDropTop
Welp, after noticing a non rhythmic ticking sound during idle when my car was warm earlier this week, I decided it was not normal and time to jump on the trusted m3post.

After watching the video at the top and reading, I am about ready to head to the dealer and flip out. I have 2013 with 21k miles and I love my M.
Sorry to hear this, man. I wish I had more info to help you. My sound magically disappeared when I added a quart of oil. Mystery...
      09-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #61
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteDropTop View Post

If it's non-rhythmic, then there isn't much of a worry about the dreaded rod bearing.

Once the cooler ambient temps hit, I'm sure there will be far fewer "ticking/OMFG/WTF" threads around here.
      07-30-2016, 06:04 PM   #62
ShaunPatrick220
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Competition Coupe

Posted in another thread but wanted to add it here, as it sounds very similar to OP. I've only had the car for 3 months, about 2000 miles (touch over 50k total miles). I had a PPO performed and the car recently spent a month at the dealer for a warranty-covered fuel system issue. Unfortunately the warranty expired 400 miles ago and noticed this sound. It has been warmer than usual and the oil is at the halfway mark, when I got it it was all the way full. Happens when car is warm after a normal 20-30 minute freeway drive. Don't really want to replace bearings unless I have some indication that that's what's causing this, any input appreciated.

[u2b]https://youtu.be/mGt-bLDnAK4[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 07:51 AM   #63
Assimilator1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92 08 & 330d e90 10

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Personally speaking (as a car mechanic of 25yrs), I think the sound in the ops video is a tapping hydraulic cam follower failing to maintain the right gap. This can happen after an oil drain (especially a long one), but normally it would bleed out any air after a few miles or so. I can't explain why this one took so long to sort itself out though! Maybe their was a tiny bit of debris in it's oil feed???

[edit]I LOVE MY M3 - if you ever come back to this forum+thread, can you tell us more as to why that engine was pulled apart? Judging by the photos the bearings are in pretty good shape, bar the slight uneven wear on the main bearings, so I assume it was a preventative/investigative strip down?

Last edited by Assimilator1; 02-13-2020 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 05:20 PM   #64
RushRuin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Wow. Someone brought up this old thread!

It turned out it was just the AC dripping on the exhaust (or something) as was suggested.
      01-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #65
Assimilator1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92 08 & 330d e90 10

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Which would sound nothing like the ops video
(I was tempted to revive an older (2014) thread earlier, someone said something that was blatantly inaccurate, but I just resisted temptation )

(PS I also have a white M3, awesome colour for them )

Last edited by Assimilator1; 02-13-2020 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0