BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

12-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #45
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
I have a ti header/carbon cannister Akrapovic system on my Ducati 1098, it's craftsmanship approaches artfulness. They produce one of the few Ducati systems that's known not to crack, the heat and big twin pulses usually lead to short lifespans for ti systems.

Can't wait to see more of what they bring to the M3, hopefully an E90 version. Concerning the claimed 24 HP gain, they don't have a reputation for exaggerating their motorcycle systems.
+3

I'm a fellow rider myself, and am very familiar with the various Akrapovic systems. I'm eagerly awaiting this product to hit the streets, and for some objective tests to be performed.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #46
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I am not only skeptical of the power gains they show but even more skeptical of the weight reductions. Lets look at some facts:

-OEM exhaust system (cut at the cat back point and weighing it essentially cat back) weighs 25 kg.
-Titanium cat back systems from 2 other manufacturers save 8-9 kg.
-Let be optimisitic and say they are so much better than others that they saved 11 kg on this portion
-This leaves 12 kg left to save get to their 23 kg claim
-Since the headers and cats probably weigh less than the cat back portion and in general Ti construction saves about 50% compared to steel or stainless steel, is is possible to save 12 kg on the headers/pipes/cat sections?
-If so then the header/cat/pipes section stock must weight about 25 kg.

Something really does not add up here.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #47
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
hmmm...not sure. don't forget that the units for this dyno are HP vs Nm, not ft/lb.
Units and scale.

Edit: To be a little more complete. Most dyno graphs that have been posted up on the forums so far use the vertical axis to plot horsepower and torque on the same scale. These two measures of power use different units, but still the scale is the same.

On the Akrapovic graph, the torque and horsepower are displayed on 2 different scales. Where they went wrong is that they mislabeled horsepower, which is on the right and labeled as torque (also mislabeled on the left side).
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #48
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I am not only skeptical of the power gains they show but even more skeptical of the weight reductions. Lets look at some facts:
The full Ericsson system is the only other exhaust system (other than maybe GT Haus?) that is a header-back titanium system.

Ericsson claims their full system is 51.5 lbs (vs. 103.6 for stock). I think it's reasonable that Akrapovic could have shed 23 kg (50.7 lbs) on their own header-back titanium system.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #49
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

Sound clips?

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 04:41 AM   #50
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz View Post
The full Ericsson system is the only other exhaust system (other than maybe GT Haus?) that is a header-back titanium system.

Ericsson claims their full system is 51.5 lbs (vs. 103.6 for stock). I think it's reasonable that Akrapovic could have shed 23 kg (50.7 lbs) on their own header-back titanium system.
When the OEM "cat back" portion of the exhaust weighs 25 kg is it really reasonable that the rest of it (mid pipes, cats - LESS headers) weight almost the the same, i.e. 22 kg? It could be, it just seems way too high to me. Then again I guess we could have something like this, (x) indicates and estimate:

system/full weight/cat back weight/mid pipes&cats weight
OEM/47/25/22
Ericsson/23/(12)/(11)
Akrapovic/24/(12)/(12)

Each section is just about cut in half in weight. Maybe more reasonable than I thought... Thanks for the additional information.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 06:35 AM   #51
Jangobipbip
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Schirmer GT

A friend of mine own an Aprilia shop, and each time he dynoed akrapovic aprilias, numbers announced were confirmed!

Good point for them....

I think i'm gonna sale my active(i wanted to sale it and had the customer, then to keep it, then....??) for the whole akrapovic.
It could be in my house in January.!! and performances will be here!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #52
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

The numbers definitely caught me by surprise as well. But as most Akra owners on here are saying, their systems usually remain consistent with their claims (for motorcycles at least). The weight savings do seem high, but I guess it is possible. There is only one way to know for sure...one of us has to buy it and dyno!

I am not sold on the look either. I don't care for the raw finish on the tips.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #53
Akara1
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

This is very exciting. Being a motorcyclist like many others here, I can also confirm the quality of Akrapovic exhaust systems. Should be a great product for the M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 02:03 AM   #54
DICKER 1
That Dr. DICKER to You
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 11.5ZCP Coupe'/ /Ducati's

Garage List
2008 m3  [0.00]
Typically,

Im not one to chime in on Akrapovic exhaust but I love the quality of them.
I have a set of Titanium on my Factory Ape.

My 9R has Termi's

Akra gains have proven themselves countless amount of times in my experience

I will let my checkbook do the talking after i see some real tests
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 06:02 AM   #55
sinajoon7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
The numbers definitely caught me by surprise as well. But as most Akra owners on here are saying, their systems usually remain consistent with their claims (for motorcycles at least). The weight savings do seem high, but I guess it is possible. There is only one way to know for sure...one of us has to buy it and dyno!

I am not sold on the look either. I don't care for the raw finish on the tips.

i agree with you on the first part..

but i absolutely LOVE the raw finish on the tips... was my favorite part
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 07:14 AM   #56
a-workx
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 1series M Coupe

Hi all!

To introduce myself: My name is Florian and I am working for the Akrapovic-dealer in Germany that was named before in this thread (a-workx, located close to Munich).

First of all I am sorry that our website is not available in English language, yet. We are working on it...

Concerning the hardfacts and the dyno sheet: These facts (power & weight) are absolutely realistic. As mentioned before Akrapovic is very well known for delivering what they promise. The dyno sheets come directly from the printer and have not been "photoshopped" in any way.
The problem is always the environmental influences at the moment of the measuring. If it is really hot you will have less power than under cold conditions. What is important is the "delta", the difference between the original system and the Akra-system which will always be the same.

Concerning weight: The OEM system without headers weigh more than 47kg, the Akrapovic evolution system (incl. link pipes, 100cpsi cats, mufflers, tail pipes) weighs 21.7 kg. Anybody who attended the Essen Motorshow could try the difference in weight by lifting the original M6-linkpipes and the Akrapovic pipes. AMAZING!

If anybody needs more information, also concerning prices, delivery etc., please do not hesitate to contact me!

Or have a look at www.a-workx.com from time to time. Here you will always find the latest information - soon in English language as well.

All the best,

Florian
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #57
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-workx View Post
Hi all!
First of all I am sorry that our website is not available in English language, yet. We are working on it...
Thanks--is US distribution planned?

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #58
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi all!

To introduce myself: My name is Florian and I am working for the Akrapovic-dealer in Germany that was named before in this thread (a-workx, located close to Munich).

Concerning the hardfacts and the dyno sheet: These facts (power & weight) are absolutely realistic. As mentioned before Akrapovic is very well known for delivering what they promise. The dyno sheets come directly from the printer and have not been "photoshopped" in any way.
The problem is always the environmental influences at the moment of the measuring. If it is really hot you will have less power than under cold conditions. What is important is the "delta", the difference between the original system and the Akra-system which will always be the same.

Concerning weight: The OEM system without headers weigh more than 47kg, the Akrapovic evolution system (incl. link pipes, 100cpsi cats, mufflers, tail pipes) weighs 21.7 kg. Anybody who attended the Essen Motorshow could try the difference in weight by lifting the original M6-linkpipes and the Akrapovic pipes. AMAZING!

If anybody needs more information, also concerning prices, delivery etc., please do not hesitate to contact me!

Or have a look at www.a-workx.com from time to time. Here you will always find the latest information - soon in English language as well.

All the best,

Florian
Florian, you have PM.

Guys, I am going to try and get down to awork-x to check out the system and get more pics.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #59
a-workx
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 1series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Thanks--is US distribution planned?
Yes, but this may take its time. Meanwhile you are free to contact me for information and/or orders.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #60
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinajoon7 View Post

but i absolutely LOVE the raw finish on the tips... was my favorite part
Same here!

Big Windy, keep us informed.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #61
mike11
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW E92

Big Windy
Looking forward to hearing what you find out, may make a trip myself right after the holidays...definitley interested to know if they accept the VAT form!!!

mike11
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #62
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Guys, I talked to Florian via PM. Good news and bad.

Good: The M3 that was at essen last week is going to be back in their shop sometime next week, so I'll be able to check it out, get pics, and hopefully some sound clips if the weather holds up.

Bad: They don't actually have any in stock right now because Akrapovic hasn't pushed it out yet. Will probably be until February until it is commercially available.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #63
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Blk sunroof 19s

Quote:
Hi all!

All the best,

Florian
Based on what others have said about your products your reputation precedes you. However your results seem to be the best gains of any bolt on system ever and are still yet to be proved by paying customers. So we are just practicing the old "buyer be wary"
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #64
GreenBeret
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E92 335i

WOW

I need an exhaust! This gives the rear end of the car an even more aggressive look Nice!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #65
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Based on what others have said about your products your reputation precedes you. However your results seem to be the best gains of any bolt on system ever and are still yet to be proved by paying customers. So we are just practicing the old "buyer be wary"
Well, in all fairness, before paying customers can prove anything, the system has to be on sale. I'm confident that Akrapovic will release more (still nothing on their website except that it is in the works) as it comes time to release the product.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 09:21 PM   #66
Daas87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
http://www.supersprint.com/a_prodott...ello=bmwE92m31

Actually SuperSprint claims the most I have seen. Not a fan of the sound of their exhaust, but would consider their X pipe + Cats if it wasnt for the fitment issue.
Appreciate 0