BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

03-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Canine hip dysplasia - surgery?

8 month poodle/bicshon (sp?) mix female. Weight 6.5 lbs when shaved. Started bunny-hopping, but is still the fastest spaz-sprinter I have ever seen. Took to vet, did x-rays, right leg is defective. Slight displaysia, crooked tibia, fully-formed dew claw.

Vet recommended we go to the local pet-ortho. I don't think there is any way I am putting that little pup thru hip replacement, nor am I willing to have her tibia broken in multiple places so it can be straightened.

Taking $$$ out of the equation, am I being ridiculous?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

No. What's ridiculous is when people spend anything over $10K on their pets for various procedures.

I think you are being rational. If its not causing her problems (aside from a weird gait), leave it, let her be and let her live her life. If she's actually in pain and hurting, you should put her down.

At the end of the day, as much as pets become part of the family (to a degree), it shouldn't be forgotten that they are pets, and they have a much shorter lifespan than real family. Things happen - we put one of our dogs down because we worried that one day he may bite some one (he was getting a little psycho)...still loved that dog, but it was the right choice.

Best of luck on your ultimate decision!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Wife already put an upper limit of $1000. Freaking dog Xrays already used up more than 1/3 of that!!!

Well, we've been to the vet twice and they haven't fixed it yet with NSAIDs. 1 more trip and I invoke Lemon Law!

I'm getting her better than just the dry foods, with supplemental chondroitin and fish oil.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Motif
Gruppa krovi-na rukave
Rep
Drives: Something loud and heavy

As a Military Working Dog handler of 7 years I can tell you this from my experience. This kind of thing is not 100% guaranteed that the problem won't have complications post-procedure, DOD doesn't even try to repair this problem most of the time. It will cost way more than a grand, plus meds and possible rehab procedures after. If you love this dog but can't afford the surgery, ask the vet for some steroids and Cosequin. It will put a band aid on the problem for a little while till you will be ready to part ways or whatever you decide to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I agree. That sounds like a long road to go down. It's a shame it's so young.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

My dog is nearly 12, and I adopted him when he was 1 1/2 for $50 from the SPCA. He was trouble-free for a very long time, just the usual vet visits, few hundred a year. Last year he cost $2000 because he developed a fatty tumor in his side, and then out of nowhere he got pneumonia and cost $3000. last month he got an ear infection and it cost $160.

Having adopted him for $50, the last thing I would have thought is that I'd spend $5000 on him in a year. I guess I have the money today, and I decided to spend it. You tend to look at things differently when you've had a pet for 10 years.

As far as a hip replacement, I dunno. I doesn't actually sound that reasonable on a dog weighing only 7 lbs. This kind of thing seems to trouble large dogs. My dog is 80 lbs. and lean, he used to run full force and dive under a porch into leaves. Today he is having trouble climbing stairs. I don't know why they mentioned the dew claw on the op's dog, doesn't seem to have anything to do with anything?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motif View Post
As a Military Working Dog handler of 7 years I can tell you this from my experience. This kind of thing is not 100% guaranteed that the problem won't have complications post-procedure, DOD doesn't even try to repair this problem most of the time. It will cost way more than a grand, plus meds and possible rehab procedures after. If you love this dog but can't afford the surgery, ask the vet for some steroids and Cosequin. It will put a band aid on the problem for a little while till you will be ready to part ways or whatever you decide to do.
More than a grand? You betcha. Our in-laws spent 15k on a Weimaraner that was about 10 mos. old. One has to realize, when you see a health insurance statement on humans, it's routine to see a doctor bill out $6500 and have your insurance pay an agreed to amount such as $2000, and you pay $200 out-of-pocket from the co-insurance, or even less with an HMO. With a pet (some have insurance though), you will pay the $6500 out-of-pocket.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

The dew claw just in mention because they are all on the same leg.

I know surgery for just single hip will run 2-4K. Not really sure about the whole cut the top of the femur surgery, might save a few $ on the parts. Just seems like a LOT more trauma for this little one than I would want to put her thru.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

Info below is spot on. I pushed dogs in the Air Force for 10 years and never saw them try some type of surgery. As said below it's not guaranteed plus it puts animals through allot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motif View Post
      03-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Cosequin is just a brand name of chondroitin and glucosimin? Generic is already in use.

This "free" dog is getting expensive! Somehow yesterday she managed to open the closet door (could NOT have been that anyone left it open ) and chewed the heel of my Rockports and the stirrups on my boots.
Appreciate 0