BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Buckman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i

US -> Canada, Daytime Running Lights Question

Help!
Importing my 2009 M3 from the US to Canada. I phoned a Canadian Inspection Agency (Canadian Tire Store) for a "head's up" of typical issues for any US car. They said the daytime running lights must be permanently on and cannot be disable-able? (new word?) from the console (in BMW's case, via the idrive/nav system).
So, in the US, the daytime running lights CAN be disabled. Is there a way to reprogram my car so the daytime running lights are permanently on? Car is going into the shop tomorrow for final oil change tomorrow in Houston... if this can be remedied, I'd rather have it done in Houston versus Canada.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Certainly a private coder could do this and I would think your dealer could do it as well. Have you explained your situation to them? The dealer however may refuse to do it here in the states and tell you to have a Canadian dealer do it...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Get someone to program your CIC module, set the parameter for "DAYDRIVING_LIGHT" to "perm_off" This should remove the menu option. I'm on a business trip and can't try it on my car, but it should work.
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Just don't tell the inspector it can be disabled through i-drive...

Simply set the daytime running lights to be functional when going to have the car inspected. The mechanic at Canadian Tire will most likely not fiddle with the i-drive anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

Simply set the daytime running lights to be functional when going to have the car inspected. The mechanic at Canadian Tire will most likely not fiddle with the i-drive anyhow.
This is all I did, and the car passed without any issues whatsoever. All they do is visually check if DRLs are operational or not. They aren't going to waste their time dicking around in your idrive to see if they can be turned off or not. FYI, the initial check by Canadian Tire doesn't cost anything, so they aren't going to take any more time than they have to to do the check.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3

This.

I had a car safetied at Canadian Tire for work and it didn't pass because of the windshield. Had the windshield replaced a couple weeks later before the car sold and we needed that safety. Went back there, they had it on file and took my word for it that it had its shield replaced.

Keep in mind that most of the "techs" at Canadian tire are either teenagers, or are older and have no idea how to use idrive to go in and try and change settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Buckman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you for your posts, I really appreciate the comments.
Today I found out BMW in Houston thought they could program the daytime lights to stay on 'permanently', but that the programming was a min. charge of $200. I lost some interest when I heard the cost.
Also, last night I phoned a second Canadian Tire store in Calgary and they said they know that the headlights can be turned off via idrive, but as long as the daytime lights are on/activated during their inspection, that's all they need.
So, I'm going to roll the dice and not do any reprogramming right now. Obviously I will leave the idrive setting to daytime lights on, have the inspection done, and let you guys know how it all goes. It will be about a month from now. Cheers!!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
carbon//m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

Exactly
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #9
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
I had a Canadian spec Volvo and DRL's were "disable-able" ...... which I did the second I imported to US.

Simple coding should solve your problem....... plus who in their right mind would want to disable their angels anyway
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
plus who in their right mind would want to disable their angels anyway
Those who think having DRLs on reduces their fuel economy...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
Buckman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update: no trouble with the daytime running lights with RIV or Alberta inspection.

Extra info regarding the import for those that might be interested:

Went to bond shed (Canada Customs warehouse in Calgary were US goods arrive, cars were put in the warehouse);
Picked up bond shed paperwork, went to main Customs Office elsewhere in Calgary;
Paid GST and Duty on CAD value less 10k (as I have owned the vehicle for a while);
Paid RIV fees (just over $200), went and retrieved vehicles (also imported wife's Honda);
Canadian tire completed inspection, they faxed passed certificate to RIV (paid $16 Alberta tire recycling fees):
Went to Alberta registries, paid $10, this gives you the green light to go get the Alberta inspection completed;
Alberta inspection $100 to $200 depending where you go. I paid $100;
Passed, took passed certificate back to Alberta Registries;
Was then able to get Alberta plates ($72.45)
Passed with flying colors!
RIV sticker arrived today; affixes to door pillar stating vehicle is Canadian Certified.
One minor hiccup - recall clearance note must be less than 30 days old. Had to get a refreshed note from BMW.
Take all your paperwork, ID, etc. to all appointments, you never know exactly what they'll need to see!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman View Post
RIV sticker arrived today; affixes to door pillar stating vehicle is Canadian Certified.
Strange, I never ended up receiving the sticker.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

OP - is this a welcome TO or welcome BACK to Canada? Thanks for the info...I'm from Vancouver and may need to do the same thing at some point....Ms are much more expensive in Canada...
[08 e90 M3. Jet Black/Black. Dinan Rear Exhaust. ACM Test Pipes. ESS Tune. Eibach Pro-Kit + e36 bumpstops. 18x10 Apex Arc-8. AA Air Filter. RPI Scoops. CREE Angel Eyes. OEM Blacklines. Black Reflectors. Gloss Black Grills. Matte Black Gills. ZCP Shift Knob]
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
Buckman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Returning back to Calgary after four years in Texas. She's been a frosty return so far! brrrrrr!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #15
Tony31
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
Get someone to program your CIC module, set the parameter for "DAYDRIVING_LIGHT" to "perm_off" This should remove the menu option. I'm on a business trip and can't try it on my car, but it should work.
I know this is an old post but because it comes up in Google when searching for this issue, I just wanted to post that this programming works to pass inspection.

The correct setting is "DAYDRIVING_LIGHT" to "perm_on". This removes the option to turn on/off the DRL's in iDrive and leaves them permanently activated.

Failed initial inspection, programmed, passed re-inspection...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 10:40 PM   #16
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman View Post
Update: no trouble with the daytime running lights with RIV or Alberta inspection.

Extra info regarding the import for those that might be interested:

Went to bond shed (Canada Customs warehouse in Calgary were US goods arrive, cars were put in the warehouse);
Picked up bond shed paperwork, went to main Customs Office elsewhere in Calgary;
Paid GST and Duty on CAD value less 10k (as I have owned the vehicle for a while);
Paid RIV fees (just over $200), went and retrieved vehicles (also imported wife's Honda);
Canadian tire completed inspection, they faxed passed certificate to RIV (paid $16 Alberta tire recycling fees):
Went to Alberta registries, paid $10, this gives you the green light to go get the Alberta inspection completed;
Alberta inspection $100 to $200 depending where you go. I paid $100;
Passed, took passed certificate back to Alberta Registries;
Was then able to get Alberta plates ($72.45)
Passed with flying colors!
One minor hiccup - recall clearance note must be less than 30 days old. Had to get a refreshed note from BMW.
Take all your paperwork, ID, etc. to all appointments, you never know exactly what they'll need to see!
I might end up importing the car when I go back to Ottawa. I just have concern on the tax/duties you have to pay when bringing the car to Canada. How much did this cost you exactly?

Thanks !
Appreciate 0