BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-24-2015, 05:35 AM   #1519
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakob66 View Post
Track Road Atlanta
Event with MVP Nov. 21/22
E92 M3 DCT

Best Lap Time: 1:36.70 (Harry's with external GPS)
Tires: done/corded 275/35 Hoosiers in the front
Suspension: KW CS
Other mods: see my signature

Had a blast last weekend, nice event with MVP! However, way to much traffic and some very slow cars. I actually had better laps the previous session but forgot to engage Harry's
Cheers
Thats a SOLID laptime.... I dont think I have seen a street M3 running this fast there. It used to be my home track and anything in the 30s is flying... Please do share video if possible, be curious.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #1520
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 white, long list

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Thats a SOLID laptime.... I dont think I have seen a street M3 running this fast there. It used to be my home track and anything in the 30s is flying... Please do share video if possible, be curious.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Hey Lutfy
I was looking for you at the track!
I posted (challenged) this lap at Harry's as "JP" so you can load and compare.
The car was going very strong with 148.3 mph max speed. We had a blast with other Corvettes and the beautiful blue M4 (that broke the track record with 1:35 a couple weeks ago and).
My friend with the red corvette ran identical times. It was a good weekend but very cold!
Cheers
      11-25-2015, 05:26 AM   #1521
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Cheers,

Lutfy
Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/embed/f92VSk7T6G8

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f92VSk7T6G8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by jakob66; 11-25-2015 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #1522
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here you go
[u2b]https://youtu.be/f92VSk7T6G8[/u2b]
Can somebody please explain me how to embed the movie instead of just posting a link?
Thanks for help
      11-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #1523
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Take out the https://youtu.be/ part, leave the ending in
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #1524
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Take out the https://youtu.be/ part, leave the ending in
Thanks, but didn't work.
      11-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #1525
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Can somebody please explain me how to embed the movie instead of just posting a link?
Thanks for help
Just paste it in without any bracket stuff.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #1526
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Just paste it in without any bracket stuff.
Thanks !
      11-27-2015, 04:38 AM   #1527
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Hey Lutfy
I was looking for you at the track!
I posted (challenged) this lap at Harry's as "JP" so you can load and compare.
The car was going very strong with 148.3 mph max speed. We had a blast with other Corvettes and the beautiful blue M4 (that broke the track record with 1:35 a couple weeks ago and).
My friend with the red corvette ran identical times. It was a good weekend but very cold!
Cheers
Thats a lap record for a street M3 at Road ATL. 1:36 is what a stock GTR/997GT3 would clock there. You were squeezing every bit out of that track! great driving, impressed.

You find dropping to 2nd worth while in 7? I preferred 3rd but am assuming giving some speed away...

I usually do BMW Peachtree Chapter, ATL is kinda far from me (10 plus hours). After seeing how hard your car pulled from my 911 (my M3 and 911S are dead even with M3 pulling slightly after 100MPH), I ordered Epic Stage 2, Turner Test Pipes, MS Pulleys and AFE filter. OMG car is fast now...

My car would do max 142 at the back straights without engine mods. Love what you have done with your car.

Happy holidays, enjoy in great health. Cheers mate.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 06:22 AM   #1528
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
You find dropping to 2nd worth while in 7? I preferred 3rd but am assuming giving some speed away...
(I was watching the video, and it looks like the Harry's data overlay of the current gear was always one gear too high. If you look at the car's dash, you can see the car is in 3rd in Turn 7, but Harry's data overlay shows it in 2nd. It seems to be off consistently throughout the whole video.)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #1529
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats a lap record for a street M3 at Road ATL. 1:36 is what a stock GTR/997GT3 would clock there. You were squeezing every bit out of that track! great driving, impressed.

I usually do BMW Peachtree Chapter, ATL is kinda far from me (10 plus hours). After seeing how hard your car pulled from my 911 (my M3 and 911S are dead even with M3 pulling slightly after 100MPH), I ordered Epic Stage 2, Turner Test Pipes, MS Pulleys and AFE filter. OMG car is fast now...

My car would do max 142 at the back straights without engine mods. Love what you have done with your car.

Happy holidays, enjoy in great health. Cheers mate.

Lutfy

Lutfy
Thanks for the info and kind words! I made 2 mistakes during that lap and the gear shift under the bridge cost time too. I had a previous session that day and I'm confident it was faster (murphy's law, Harry's laptimer stopped due to low battery).
The largest improvement this time was the correction of my front roll center. I lowered the car so much that the roll center was way off. I now have grip in the front. Over the winter I will get aero and take another 100lbs out of the car. I guess I will see you at VIR in early spring?

Congrats on your mods, there's still plenty to do on our cars to make them faster.
I have a question for you as you did drive F M4 and E M3. Have you felt a big difference in the differential behavior of both cars? I could imagine that the new M4 diff is better in terms of grip.

Cheers
      11-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #1530
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
(I was watching the video, and it looks like the Harry's data overlay of the current gear was always one gear too high. If you look at the car's dash, you can see the car is in 3rd in Turn 7, but Harry's data overlay shows it in 2nd. It seems to be off consistently throughout the whole video.)

Yes, for some reason the OBD data for the gear didn't work and it was my very first overlay and I missed the synchronization point for the movie over Harry's by at least a second (you can see my cell in the movie).
I will work on this next time.
Thanks
      11-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #1531
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, for some reason the OBD data for the gear didn't work and it was my very first overlay and I missed the synchronization point for the movie over Harry's by at least a second (you can see my cell in the movie).
I will work on this next time.
Thanks
I have made a lot of videos with Harry's Lap Timer (HLT) data overlay on my GoPro videos (I use an external Emprum UltiMate GPS receiver). In my experience, I have found that HLT has always had a bug in it when trying to synchronize the Finish Line in the GoPro video to the data. For some reason, when I navigate to the Finish line and select that as the sync point, the data in the finished rendered video is one second off (the data is early). I ALWAYS need to find the Finish line and then go exactly 1 second later, and then choose that as the synchronization point "finish line". If I choose the 1-second-after-the-Finish-line point, then the data syncs perfectly with the Finish line.

You have a bit of a different situation than me in HLT though because you also use OBD and have RPMs to deal with. Since you have audio that can hear the engine revving, ultimately the video looks best if the RPM needle from HLT matches what you hear with the engine revving. If you're presenting RPMs in the data overlay, then they are the biggest indicator to a viewer that your data is synchronized.

The data collection on your OBDII data looks a bit jumpy. I also experimented with OBD data collection with HLT. It never seemed to work that great for me. In the future, if you want solid data collection that's still somewhat reasonably priced, the way several of us have gone is to get an AIM Solo DL tied directly into the CAN bus. That collects an incredible amount of very smooth data----tons of parameters like brake and gas press%, water and oil temps, ambient temps, rpms, how much each individual wheel brake caliper is applied, you can layer laps easily to see when and how your braking looks compared to each other, and more. Aside from making videos with cool data overlays with AIM data, I've been able to learn quite a bit about my driving from the AIM data, which is of course the main purpose of such a device.

RaceRender is the program I use to put the video and data together. Nice app. I created a template of gauges for the data. That was a bit time consuming. And I always feel like I'm tweaking it. HLT is great because you just copy some video into the iPhone, sync the Finish Line and you're done. It does everything else for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #1532
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have made a lot of videos with Harry's Lap Timer (HLT) data overlay on my GoPro videos (I use an external Emprum UltiMate GPS receiver). In my experience, I have found that HLT has always had a bug in it when trying to synchronize the Finish Line in the GoPro video to the data. For some reason, when I navigate to the Finish line and select that as the sync point, the data in the finished rendered video is one second off (the data is early). I ALWAYS need to find the Finish line and then go exactly 1 second later, and then choose that as the synchronization point "finish line". If I choose the 1-second-after-the-Finish-line point, then the data syncs perfectly with the Finish line.

You have a bit of a different situation than me in HLT though because you also use OBD and have RPMs to deal with. Since you have audio that can hear the engine revving, ultimately the video looks best if the RPM needle from HLT matches what you hear with the engine revving. If you're presenting RPMs in the data overlay, then they are the biggest indicator to a viewer that your data is synchronized.

The data collection on your OBDII data looks a bit jumpy. I also experimented with OBD data collection with HLT. It never seemed to work that great for me. In the future, if you want solid data collection that's still somewhat reasonably priced, the way several of us have gone is to get an AIM Solo DL tied directly into the CAN bus. That collects an incredible amount of very smooth data----tons of parameters like brake and gas press%, water and oil temps, ambient temps, rpms, how much each individual wheel brake caliper is applied, you can layer laps easily to see when and how your braking looks compared to each other, and more. Aside from making videos with cool data overlays with AIM data, I've been able to learn quite a bit about my driving from the AIM data, which is of course the main purpose of such a device.

RaceRender is the program I use to put the video and data together. Nice app. I created a template of gauges for the data. That was a bit time consuming. And I always feel like I'm tweaking it. HLT is great because you just copy some video into the iPhone, sync the Finish Line and you're done. It does everything else for you.

dogbone
This is really great information and I'm very interested in that subject and it is perfect timing!
I do not want to hijack this thread so I opened a new one ' track data acquisition systems'. Please share your experience and hopefully others will too (unless I missed an existing thread about this subject).
Thanks!
      11-28-2015, 02:37 AM   #1533
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/embed/f92VSk7T6G8

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f92VSk7T6G8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
thats hauling some ass in that vid. and that downhill brakezone you need all the brakes available! what are your mods? sounds badass.

SpeedSF Black Friday event.
Buttonwillow 13CW 1:59.660 (had a shot at 1:58 but carried too much speed through the last turn which leads to the straightaway and I just drifted through it. Fail).

e90 kw cs xp12/10 nt01 3520lbs chubby chick....she needs a diet.

m3SennA ran a 1:55.9 today. fast.
      11-28-2015, 03:03 AM   #1534
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
thats hauling some ass in that vid. and that downhill brakezone you need all the brakes available! what are your mods? sounds badass.

Buttonwillow 13CW 1:59.660 (had a shot at 1:58 but carried too much speed through the last turn which leads to the straightaway and I just drifted through it. Fail).

Nice. Wanted to go to that one, but the last weekend of fun had me on marginal tires and expenses were pretty high from that. Good friend of mine was there in his 370z and he told me someone in front of him got into a two car collision on Phil hill. I don't even know how that happens, lol.

Sounds like I need to do coilovers and solid subframe bushings soon. :/
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #1535
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thats hauling some ass in that vid. and that downhill brakezone you need all the brakes available! what are your mods? sounds badass..
Cats are all out and run with stage 2 from BPM. MS air intake, no pulleys.
That's it on the engine hp.
I run KW CS with higher spring rates (and probably have to go even higher after aero), BW front race arm conversion (huge difference), R&D sway bars, solid rear sub frame and diff bushings.
ST60 with XR1 pads (that's finally what I was looking for!) and all OEM rear with Stoptech street and track pads.
      11-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #1536
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakob66
Quote:
thats hauling some ass in that vid. and that downhill brakezone you need all the brakes available! what are your mods? sounds badass..
Cats are all out and run with stage 2 from BPM. MS air intake, no pulleys.
That's it on the engine hp.
I run KW CS with higher spring rates (and probably have to go even higher after aero), BW front race arm conversion (huge difference), R&D sway bars, solid rear sub frame and diff bushings.
ST60 with XR1 pads (that's finally what I was looking for!) and all OEM rear with Stoptech street and track pads.
What are your spring rates? I just put on 11kg up front. Rears are whatever kW sent. I think it's 12 or 13. Definitely felt better than the 9kg front that came with my kit.

I need stop techs! Those make a huge difference in consistency unless I want to bleed after every session.

Car sounds good!
      11-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #1537
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest
Quote:

Nice. Wanted to go to that one, but the last weekend of fun had me on marginal tires and expenses were pretty high from that. Good friend of mine was there in his 370z and he told me someone in front of him got into a two car collision on Phil hill. I don't even know how that happens, lol.

Sounds like I need to do coilovers and solid subframe bushings soon. :/
Didn't see that one. There were a few incidents. There was some oil dropped after phils hill so maybe that was the accident there. A 964 also hit a tire barrier or a wall or something.

There was also an accident behind me. An s2k and 997 gt3 right behind on off ramp. The s2k driver seemed to me that he wasn't really aware of his surroundings. I was on his ass and the gt3 I saw coming from behind. I wanted to make a pass on the inside of sweeper since s2k was wide. All of a sudden he jumps into the inside (his line I suppose). So I backed off and waited to pass after sunset on the straight. At this point it was s2k, me, gt3 all right behind each other. I expected gt3 driver to pass me on the straight at the same time but he didn't and just stayed right on the s2ks ass. Next thing I see as I'm coming out of off ramp in my rear view is both of them going off. I have a feeling the same thing happened. S2k went wide, gt3 took the inside but s2k wasn't even aware of that and cut to the inside and they hit each other. You shouldn't be running open passing if you don't know where the hell the other cars are.
      11-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #1538
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What are your spring rates? I just put on 11kg up front. Rears are whatever kW sent. I think it's 12 or 13. Definitely felt better than the 9kg front that came with my kit.

I need stop techs! Those make a huge difference in consistency unless I want to bleed after every session.

Car sounds good!
Thanks!
Stock KW CS springs were way too soft for me. My spring rates are 150Nmm/140mm front and 180Nmm/200mm rear.
I'm still bleeding my Stoptechs after every event.
      11-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #1539
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Thanks!
Stock KW CS springs were way too soft for me. My spring rates are 150Nmm/140mm front and 180Nmm/200mm rear.
I'm still bleeding my Stoptechs after every event.
is your a 3way?
if its a 2 way thats way beyond the max the shocks can take =O
      11-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #1540
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3SennA View Post
is your a 3way?
if its a 2 way thats way beyond the max the shocks can take =O
No, mine are 2 ways. The spring recommendation came from KW in Germany.
Why do you think they can take only so much, what do you think is the limiting factor? Curious.
I'm not even maxed out in rebound and bump.