BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #23
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3This View Post
Honestly please do not take what Im about to say as me being a dick ... but I have been in the industry for some time now. I have several friends that work at several different companies and the JIC exhaust is actually exactly the same as the Magnaflow Ti exhaust ... only difference is the name stamped on it. The exhaust is produced by Magaflow for JIC ...Im not sure if its made in Japan or not ... never really looked into it that far. Reason I know all this is I was going to buy the same exhaust for my Evo. If you dont believe me about the exhaust find someone with the magnaflow and lay both of them side by side and you'll see what Im talking about ... also the reason they where selling at the time for the same price (Magnaflow no longer sells their Ti exhaust for the Evo as they didnt have good luck with selling it as most people found it too loud).
not at all...in fact thank you for clearing some things up. i do not doubt it, seeing how there are sever exhausts on the market manufactured by one brand, yet marketed by another. however, the 505S exhaust that i have was discontinued almost 2 years ago (it is not the same as JIC's current lineup of titanium exhausts)...i don't know if Magnaflow has been manufacturing JIC's titanium exhausts since before than or not - you'd know better than i since you work in the industry. but one thing's for sure - i wouldn't have had to wait months after i placed the order to finally take delivery of the product if it wasn't really made-to-order in Japan...even if it was made-to-order here in the states by Magnaflow itself, it still wouldn't have taken months to get. being in the industry, you should know, it isn't production time that draws the process out - its the importation and clearing customs that takes forever. i also think false advertising is something neither the manufacturer (JIC or Magnaflow...whoever) nor the reseller (Horsepower Freaks) would engage in - i.e. i don't think i would have been told be an extremely reputable company trusted intimately by the Supra community that my exhaust would have to be made-to-order in Japan if it was really being made on a production line elsewhere.

regardless, if i found out that i was sold a different exhaust than what i ordered and it was manufactured somewhere other than Japan, the only thing i could really be angry about is being lied to by the manufacturer/reseller, because the exhaust itself is everything i wanted it to be. the weight checked out after putting it on the scale - lighter than any other exhaust for the Supra except for the Veilside Teardrop (which was discontinued ages ago and is barely 1-lb. lighter than the JIC). the welds on the canister are meticulous, and the system is uncannily quiet until i romp on it, which is nice for city driving.

i'm just glad Mines doesn't make an full titanium exhaust for my car, because if they did i'd almost certainly desire it, knowing full well that it would have alot of value, but hardly be worth the total price i'd have to pay for it - not with all the other existing Ti exhaust options out there. its kinda like a Modena and a 996 GT3 - despite being almost twice as expensive as the Porsche, the Ferrari is nowhere near as twice as valuable an overall package than the GT3, let alone in individual categories, such as handling, acceleration, etc. thus, a big chunk of the price difference between the two cars is for the Ferrari badge alone. gotta love capitalism
      01-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #24
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
i do not doubt it, seeing how there are sever exhausts on the market manufactured by one brand, yet marketed by another.
+1 bro....every1 does it, can't deny it.

Anyway, did you check out the new exhaust made by mines??

Link below

http://jdm-insider.com/Blogs/Eric/?p=540
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 08:39 AM   #25
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
+1 bro....every1 does it, can't deny it.

Anyway, did you check out the new exhaust made by mines??

Link below

http://jdm-insider.com/Blogs/Eric/?p=540
hmm...if the Evo exhaust from Mines was a $2500 item, i wonder how much this will be...it sure does look though.

one thing that sort of took me by surprise were the minimal gains achieved with this aftermarket exhaust (granted its only a cat-back). replacing the cat-back system on the MKIV Supra results in a much more significant power gain. then it dawned on me - the new GTR's OEM cat-back system is MUCH less restrictive than my OEM cat-back was. the article points out that boost only increased 0.1kg/cm^2 (1.42psi) due to a minimally reduced back pressure...i remember my boost shot up an astounding 3-4psi when i switched over to my aftermarket cat-back, indicating a healthy reduction in back pressure. and of course when you look at the Supra's OEM cat-back system after its been removed, its quite quite obvious just how restrictive it is.

i guess i just expected better results from a car whose manufacturer claims its tuning potential is quite high...watch, they'll add catless downpipes and gain a ridiculous 80 additional HP and i'll be eating my words .
      01-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #26
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
hmm...if the Evo exhaust from Mines was a $2500 item, i wonder how much this will be...it sure does look though.

one thing that sort of took me by surprise were the minimal gains achieved with this aftermarket exhaust (granted its only a cat-back). replacing the cat-back system on the MKIV Supra results in a much more significant power gain. then it dawned on me - the new GTR's OEM cat-back system is MUCH less restrictive than my OEM cat-back was. the article points out that boost only increased 0.1kg/cm^2 (1.42psi) due to a minimally reduced back pressure...i remember my boost shot up an astounding 3-4psi when i switched over to my aftermarket cat-back, indicating a healthy reduction in back pressure. and of course when you look at the Supra's OEM cat-back system after its been removed, its quite quite obvious just how restrictive it is.

i guess i just expected better results from a car whose manufacturer claims its tuning potential is quite high...watch, they'll add catless downpipes and gain a ridiculous 80 additional HP and i'll be eating my words .
Hmm...$2500 for a exhaust??? No thank you....!

About the increase in boost by the free flow, I think they were quite impressed by the 1.42psi figure.
Maybe they are still concerned about the emission, thus keeping it a little restrictive.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #27
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Didn't Magnaflow make Vishnu's exhausts too?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #28
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

The R34 Mine's GTR was ridiculous. Can't wait to see what they've got stirred up for this one.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 12:46 AM   #29
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV View Post
The R34 Mine's GTR was ridiculous. Can't wait to see what they've got stirred up for this one.
Yup, here's the link to the Mine's Vid on YouTube;

LINK

Fast forward to about 5:55 in the video for Tsuchiya's impression of the car.
      01-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #30
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post

LINK

this is one of my favorite Best Motoring vids ever! two of the baddest tuner cars ever. although its kinda upsetting to me that, just when you think that Amuse Supra is a crazy beast, they take the Mines R34 for a spin - and it just sounds and looks more aggressive going around that track than the Supra ...oh well, i still stand by my car .
      01-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #31
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Didn't Magnaflow make Vishnu's exhausts too?

Yeh, they do use it on their whole package
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #32
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post

LINK

Skywine GT-aww... vewy pooful carr!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #33
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV View Post
Skywine GT-aww... vewy pooful carr!!
Is that a compliment?