BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

10-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

Anyone think this is worth it?

http://www.njmp.com/facility/drivers...torsports.html

I'm just at the age limit to still get a junior membership at NJMP, so it would work out to a cost of $1000/year until I have to renew + annual dues of 2400. This track is relatively close by, includes over 30 track days and well maintained. I'm always upgrading and modding to get the most out of my car, I'm thinking something like this might be the best to really enjoy my M. Would just like your opinions, thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Without knowing anything about the track or the membership specifics, I would say that $1,000 for a season pass is a great deal. I'd jump at it if I were in the area and qualified. $2,400 would require a bit more thought.

Do you have track experience? Not clear based upon your post. You'll never enjoy your M more than on a road course.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

If you go at least 10 times it would pay for itself by then. Here in SoCal each track day costs us 75-200$ depending on which vendor is running it and amount of cars on the track.

1k per year sounds pretty good if you don't mind going alot and spending money on tires/brakes/etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Unless I'm missing something, they still charge a fee per day ($165 looks like?). I know VIR club members still have to pay per day as well, but I was remembering it to be more like $100/day. No way I'd join if you still pay $165/day, you can run with many clubs for slightly more than that without shelling out the up front cash.

And I interpret the "30 days" part to refer to the track being closed to non-members 30 days a year. But you'd still pay the $165/day.

Edit: Brief research of VIR's rates, which are much more expressly stated, shows that you do pay the $100+ per day of use still. Which is why I haven't joined. I'd gladly throw down $2k to run VIR whenever, but not if I'm still paying more for the use of it per day than if I just instruct with a DE group.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

He means $3400/yr total average over the first 5 years, because it's $5000 up front initiation, and $2400 annual dues. Then if he wants to continue the membership after 5 years, when he turns 30yo, it's an additional $5000 initiation. A good deal compared to the regular membership which involves $15k up front.

Other options would be Monticello or the Lime Rock Drivers' Club. Both are more expensive, Monticello much more so. Monticello would like to keep the riff-raff like us out; they market to captains of industry and celebrities who can helicopter in from Manhattan. That's right--they have a helipad. And while Monticello has multiple track configurations, Lime Rock only has an ALMS chicane or two to mix things up.

I think I'd prefer to have the variety of being able to run on multiple tracks. Lime Rock, NJMP, Watkins Glen, Pocono, and the upcoming Alpine Motorsports Park are all relatively close drives. I would at least make sure that the NJMP membership offered equal times on both Lightning and Thunderbolt.

Unfortunately, track time is expensive no matter how you do it. The California guys have it good if $75 trackdays are accurate. Around here, the cheapest you can do is around $200 for a day with a PCA chapter. NASA and SCDA are in the $350 range per day. And once you add the expense of track insurance, a hotel stay, and likely three tanks of gas, you're looking at up to $1000 for a track event. As mentioned above, probably the best strategy is to do this enough that you climb up through the ranks and become an instructor so you can run your sessions for free. Then get an E36 M3 or such that you can track prep and blow off track insurance--you wouldn't have enough invested in the car to justify the expense of the premium. But then you'll need a trailer and a tow vehicle. Welcome to the circus.
      10-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98
He means $3400/yr total average over the first 5 years, because it's $5000 up front initiation, and $2400 annual dues. Then if he wants to continue the membership after 5 years, when he turns 30yo, it's an additional $5000 initiation. A good deal compared to the regular membership which involves $15k up front.

Other options would be Monticello or the Lime Rock Drivers' Club. Both are more expensive, Monticello much more so. Monticello would like to keep the riff-raff like us out; they market to captains of industry and celebrities who can helicopter in from Manhattan. That's right--they have a helipad. And while Monticello has multiple track configurations, Lime Rock only has an ALMS chicane or two to mix things up.

I think I'd prefer to have the variety of being able to run on multiple tracks. Lime Rock, NJMP, Watkins Glen, Pocono, and the upcoming Alpine Motorsports Park are all relatively close drives. I would at least make sure that the NJMP membership offered equal times on both Lightning and Thunderbolt.

Unfortunately, track time is expensive no matter how you do it. The California guys have it good if $75 trackdays are accurate. Around here, the cheapest you can do is around $200 for a day with a PCA chapter. NASA and SCDA are in the $350 range per day. And once you add the expense of track insurance, a hotel stay, and likely three tanks of gas, you're looking at up to $1000 for a track event. As mentioned above, probably the best strategy is to do this enough that you climb up through the ranks and become an instructor so you can run your sessions for free. Then get an E36 M3 or such that you can track prep and blow off track insurance--you wouldn't have enough invested in the car to justify the expense of the premium. But then you'll need a trailer and a tow vehicle. Welcome to the circus.
Well put. My experience is that's its much cheaper for me to just bounce around amongst organizations and tracks than to join Autobahn CC which has a brutal up front cost, something like 30k last I checked and a yearly nut of around 5k. Avg. track days at ACC are around 200-250, so figure 20 days at 250 is 5k and that's a lot of time at one track. I mean, a weekend at Road America is 375, thats 187.50 a day for one of the great tracks in the country. Variety is key and would get bored doing the same track over and over again, but if the math adds up then go for it sounds like prices are a bit higher on the east coast.
      10-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep

I appreciate all of the info. I have track experience, but am definitely a novice. I was only able to get out there a few times this season, I do plan on going at least 10-12 times next year, ideally every weekend would be nice. I was going to supercharge my car and do bbk as a winter project, but I really am bored of drag racing and doubt I can put that type of power down very well on a road course any way. Lately I just want to keep the car as is, except for a bbk possibly, and spend supercharger type money on fuel/tires/etc.

Everyone here makes perfect sense, variety is something to think about. I suppose the most enticing part of this deal is that I become a member at a nice track for a heavy discount. Not necessarily too much savings on actual track time, but I keep thinking it might be nice to join a drivers club. The price really seems like a steal in comparison to the other memberships, at least I have a while until my birthday to decide.

I noticed NJMP has accommodations on site, I'm guessing Monticello as well. Is this somewhat common for other tracks around the country?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

For comparison, Spring Mountain Motorsports Park near Vegas (well, 60 miles near) is now something like $35k up front, plus $400/month, plus daily fee ($65 iirc). It's getting to be really nice and it'll soon have a 6 mile configuration. Six. Miles.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

It doesn't make sense financially at any track I know of. If I can run NASA at VIR for $160-170 per day (I can run free and instruct, but I'll ignore that for the analysis), then what sense does it make to pay several thousand dollars up front if the daily cost is around the same anyway?

If I was made of money I'd join. I do think it would be something cool to be a part of, and member only days would be cool etc. But from a pure financial standpoint it is a waste.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
DB
M3/Raptor
United_States
Rep
Drives: to the track

I looked into this and the membership for the upcoming Alpine course paradocs mentioned. I decided I'd rather just go to these tracks and others by joining in on track days with various groups. PS. Look into Alpine if you want to be a member at a track. It is more like a country club with a racetrack than NJMP (racetracks with a restaurant) and if you register preconstruction, the membership cost is far less than the expected cost once construction begins.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger
For comparison, Spring Mountain Motorsports Park near Vegas (well, 60 miles near) is now something like $35k up front, plus $400/month, plus daily fee ($65 iirc). It's getting to be really nice and it'll soon have a 6 mile configuration. Six. Miles.
6 miles Thats seems worth the trip
      10-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB View Post
I looked into this and the membership for the upcoming Alpine course paradocs mentioned. I decided I'd rather just go to these tracks and others by joining in on track days with various groups. PS. Look into Alpine if you want to be a member at a track. It is more like a country club with a racetrack than NJMP (racetracks with a restaurant) and if you register preconstruction, the membership cost is far less than the expected cost once construction begins.
One of my friends has done the Spring Mountain Corvette school a couple of times, and from what he says, it's a really nice facility. The east coast clubs seem to be less developed. Maybe it's due to their establishment around the time of the 2008 financial crisis, but Monticello in 2010 was at nowhere near the level of development of Spring Mountain, and NJMP has two fantastic circuits but has yet to really develop the luxury amenities/surroundings. NJMP's "villas" seem pretty basic from the outside.

Here's hoping, though, that these facilities survive and prosper. It would be a shame to lose some of these amazing roadcourses.
      10-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #13
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep

I certainly didn't get the impression that NJMP was luxurious, their villas seem to be nothing more than basic hotel rooms. I still think they're better than nothing since they are at the track. The menu advertised for their restaurant is also very basic including things like unlimited pasta/meatballs, steak and hamburgers.

Alpine looks good, the road courses are very nice and I assume their restaurant will be a bit higher end. The ammenities offered don't matter too much to me since there isn't a place to sleep, but Alpine seems to fulfill my needs/wants better in a membership; a clean track with a decent place to eat and some exclusivity. Too bad we all can't afford Monticello, I just checked their rates out of curiosity Spring Mountain is beautiful, does anyone know the cost of their basic membership? They don't tell you without contacting a rep.
Appreciate 0