BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-25-2010, 03:21 AM   #23
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I just spent two hours reading MANY threads on this forum and others with detailed statistics on FD ratio changing.

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG!!!

If I am looking for a 1/4 mile increased time USUALLY with just a 3.62 vs 3.15 or 3.45 I SHOULD get there quicker(all variables being perfect)

I will not gain any power!!!!!!!

It will defiantly FEEL faster and in the dct sense the changing of gears is not as much as a disadvantage as say a MT

Bottom line here is I plan to do a full exhaust from the headers back, A pulley/software, Lighter 18` wheels, intake for the heck of it, and a 3.62 diff

I am a city driver very often but I do like to open my car up on the freeway.

I will have some friends who would like to run it obviously not on the street. But we usually get to speed 150 160 + easily

IN MY CASE ONLY****

I am under the impression I can benefit from that diff

If I am getting 14%+/- more tq BUT need to shift more because I am spending less time in each gear AND less distance traveled in each gear WITH a dct I don't really see where I can possibly lose compared to the stock 3.15

PLEASE I urge you to enlighten me if you have concrete evidence or feeling towards MY case

Thank You

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #24
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

well as far as this thread it was basically not to get it, i did put the order in but if i change my mind by today then ill cancel it which i doubt will happen anyway, i cant understand how so many people say the diff will not add any performance when ive seen so many other people do it back when i had my e46 and they love it?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #25
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz View Post
PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG!!!

If I am looking for a 1/4 mile increased time USUALLY with just a 3.62 vs 3.15 or 3.45 I SHOULD get there quicker(all variables being perfect)
You might gain 0.1 seconds max from a 3.62 in the 1/4. Is that worth it? Your decision.

Quote:
I will not gain any power!!!!!!!
Of course not. That is the key point.

Quote:
It will defiantly FEEL faster and in the dct sense the changing of gears is not as much as a disadvantage as say a MT
A FD mod can make a MT or DCT feel faster. It is not so much the shift time that is important but the time spent in each gear.

Quote:
Bottom line here is I plan to do a full exhaust from the headers back, A pulley/software, Lighter 18` wheels, intake for the heck of it, and a 3.62 diff
What you do with other mods is 100% unrelated to the FD mod.

Quote:
If I am getting 14%+/- more tq BUT need to shift more because I am spending less time in each gear AND less distance traveled in each gear WITH a dct I don't really see where I can possibly lose compared to the stock 3.15
You just stated yourself why there is a gain and a loss. If you never shifted gears and never got to maximum speed in each gear a FD mod is a not brainer but how ridiculous is that? Keep in mind that your cars acceleration is about 50% lower in 2nd than in 1st. That is a much larger effect than 14% even if it is only for a short period of time (the extra time a lower FD will be in 1st compared to the higher FD).

Do not that for some metrics like 60-130 you could gain a few tenths from this mod. But a few tenths out of 10+ seconds not off a 0-60 time or a metric like that.

I can't be more clear or more thorough.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0