BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

08-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #23
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Here's one more photo I found stega. Front portion of the bar where it mounts near the seatbelt in an E92....For the rest, I'll need my car back first.

Too bad you're not in SoCal, I'd let you check it out in person all you wanted....
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #24
stega
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
Here's one more photo I found stega. Front portion of the bar where it mounts near the seatbelt in an E92....For the rest, I'll need my car back first.

Too bad you're not in SoCal, I'd let you check it out in person all you wanted....
Thanks but I've seen that on Platte F's FB already.

I agree I wished I lived in CA or IL... all the best shops are there and the best M cars
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #25
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stega View Post
Not so sure on this.... I called Autopower when I ordered the cage and asked this exact question.
"is the sunroof bar any lower than the non-sunroof bar??" Because he asked if I had a sunroof.

He said no and that they have the option like that because for some cars the measurements of the bar are different. But for the E92 he said there is no difference.

Perhaps you have seen both variations in person for the E92 Tom???
I have both the e92 VS Motorsport and AE cages here.

The bars will not clear a sunroof-equipped M3, We've tried. Since then, our sunroof-equipped M3 has been traded in for new carbon roof M3, in which will be getting the VS cage and Recaro treatment next week. The quality on both is second to none, other than getting a custom-welded in cage.

I can get hoop measurements of the AE/VS bars if needed.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #26
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks but I've seen that on Platte F's FB already.

I agree I wished I lived in CA or IL... all the best shops are there and the best M cars
Convertible track car build, I'm eager to see if this comes together in a big way. Would be the first of its kind.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #27
stega
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Convertible track car build, I'm eager to see if this comes together in a big way. Would be the first of its kind.
Yhea.. Gonna be a mission over here for the next month getting it all fitted and working properly. I hate being the first to do something. But this I had to do.

I am going to be right around coupe weight when I am all finished between the front seats, rear, full Akra GT4 system, Hood, Trunk, wheels, etc....
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #28
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Keep in mind most roll bars will require drilling on your car and/or welding... in fact this is the only proper way to mount a roll bar/cage. To securely attach your harness you will also need to drill mounting holes on your car as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #29
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Keep in mind most roll bars will require drilling on your car and/or welding... in fact this is the only proper way to mount a roll bar/cage. To securely attach your harness you will also need to drill mounting holes on your car as well.
Can you imagine people using the magical 3M double sided tape to mount their roll bars/cages in their car? I think it's possible that someone out there somewhere in the world has done this, but....

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #30
ring007
Major
Rep
Drives: GT3RS & Speciale No BMWs now

You can get bolt in harnesses for your car and dont need a roll bar to install them. They bolt into the factory seatbelt anchor locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
After my recent track weekend, my instructor strongly recommended harnesses (a recommendation I'd heard earlier from others), so I'm planning to take that advice. That means installing a roll bar for attaching the harnesses. For the R32, just about the only non-custom option I'm aware of are the Autopower bars. A few people on my thread there expressed dislike for the Autopower bars, although the one person who had installed one in his R32 said fitment was decent, and overall seemed pretty happy. Since Autopower makes bars/cages for a variety of cars, and this forum is fairly heavily trafficked (compared to many track forums), so I thought I'd open it up here to see if anyone had direct experience (positive/negative) with their bars and/or cages. I could still possibly go the custom route if I have to, but would prefer sticking with prebuilt if I can.

http://www.autopowerindustries.com/rollbars.asp
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #31
stega
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring007 View Post
You can get bolt in harnesses for your car and dont need a roll bar to install them. They bolt into the factory seatbelt anchor locations.
Really??? Who makes these harnesses made for the E9x m3?? I see none.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #32
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring007 View Post
Also, this is for an R32. Unless you have signatures turned off, this shouldn't be that hard to spot (I also have an E90 M3 that I'll likely track at this point, which is why I'm on this forum). Anyway, I cannot use harnesses with the stock seats. They have a solid headrest that leaves no place to safely feed the shoulder straps through. For R32 guys, the only choices are either the minimalist solution of the CG-lock, or half (or full) roll cage install with new racing seats and harnesses. Seats and harnesses aren't that hard, but deciding what to do about the cage is hard. So far, my results are similar on this forum are similar to the R32 forum -- a few people that think Autopower bars are crap, and a few that have successfully installed them and are okay with them. Also, I've gotten an offer from VS motorsports to build me an M half cage, which I obviously don't need (though perhaps they can also do an R32 one). You'd think with the 50 iterations of suspension you could have an easier time finding a decent roll bar/cage, though I guess that tells us there are a lot more people that like to look like posers than actually run on the track regularly
      08-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #33
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really??? Who makes these harnesses made for the E9x m3?? I see none.
I think he's talking about the Schroth quick-fits or those Schroth harnesses with looped ends, like this one.

I presume in this case you'd simply take out the bolts that attach to your stock seatbelt locations, then slip these ends in between your seatbelts and the bolts that hold your stock seatbelt equipment down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
So far, my results are similar on this forum are similar to the R32 forum -- a few people that think Autopower bars are crap, and a few that have successfully installed them and are okay with them.
I'll just say that I'm in the party that's okay with the AutoPower bars. They haven't snapped in half, flown off, or done anything else outrageous yet. I do like how the VS ones look as well though. Can't bash on either AE or VS as I've never tried either myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #34
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Can you imagine people using the magical 3M double sided tape to mount their roll bars/cages in their car? I think it's possible that someone out there somewhere in the world has done this, but....

We've actually had 1 M3 come in with seat belt receptacles zip-tied to the seat brackets. No joke.

Safety is one subject that's not to be screwed with.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #35
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
We've actually had 1 M3 come in with seat belt receptacles zip-tied to the seat brackets. No joke.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #36
stega
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Thats fukin crazy... Some people are so dumb and lazy and just more lazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #37
stega
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think he's talking about the Schroth quick-fits or those Schroth harnesses with looped ends, like this one.

I presume in this case you'd simply take out the bolts that attach to your stock seatbelt locations, then slip these ends in between your seatbelts and the bolts that hold your stock seatbelt equipment down.

I'll just say that I'm in the party that's okay with the AutoPower bars. They haven't snapped in half, flown off, or done anything else outrageous yet. I do like how the VS ones look as well though. Can't bash on either AE or VS as I've never tried either myself.
Right but I thought Schroth never designed one for the E9x M3's...?

Last edited by stega; 08-18-2011 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #38
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Righgt but I thought Schroth never designed one for the E9x M3's...?
They haven't passed certification on the Quick Fit for e9x yet. HMS would be the ones to talk to since they distribute the Schroth lineup.

However, the Rallye 4 belts can be used providing there are mounting brackets for the lap portions of the belts.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #39
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:

wtf...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #40
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
wtf...
Weight savings. Zip ties lighter than bolts. LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #41
ring007
Major
Rep
Drives: GT3RS & Speciale No BMWs now

Correct. There isnt a quick fit option for the e9x like the e46, but I have the Rallye 4 bolted to the oem seatbelt mounting locations. $350-ish for a front set (driver & passenger sides). They work great and take about an hour per side to install.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...allye/rallye-4

Quote:
They haven't passed certification on the Quick Fit for e9x yet. HMS would be the ones to talk to since they distribute the Schroth lineup.

However, the Rallye 4 belts can be used providing there are mounting brackets for the lap portions of the belts.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #42
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Autopower doesnt have Rollbar/cage for E90 yet. They are looking for E90 to develope one though.

LateBraking,

What did you pay for your Rollbar if you dont mind me asking?
Btw, you have sick E92 M3, Form with lots of function
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #43
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaminz View Post
Autopower doesnt have Rollbar/cage for E90 yet. They are looking for E90 to develope one though.

LateBraking,

What did you pay for your Rollbar if you dont mind me asking?
Btw, you have sick E92 M3, Form with lots of function
Thanks creaminz. As for what I paid, I've no idea. I got the roll bar along with a couple other items as part of store credit for a diffuser that I paid for which I never received. Loooooooooong story.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #44
stega
Captain
Rep

Got my cage/buckets in my e93.... So is that baller or what?? hehe

Pics: I need some better shots.. Once I am 100% complete I will take some better ones.

Appreciate 0