BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

exoticsracing

Anyone actually been there and driven? I'm heading up to Vegas next weekend. I've always wanted to drive a Porsche, and the A-8 looks fun too.

I wouldn't bother with the higher end because there's no realistic way I'd ever need to drive one of those
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Mugen1516
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Corvette Grand Sport

My wife and I actually did this just this past May. It was definitely worth the money. I drove the Lamborghini Gallardo LP560 and the Ferrari F430 Scuderia. My wife drove the Lamborghini Superleggera LP570. We both did the ride along in the Porsche GT3 RS.

Exotics Racing is basically a garage area located at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

You get to walk the whole garage and check out the cars, sit in them, take pictures, etc.

They have a check-in procedure that you'll have to go through.

When it comes time, they will round you up and and take you around the side of the building to start the orientation/class. They give you the basics about the cars, the course, and basic understanding of how to go fast around the track (braking, turning, apex, etc.). I've never autocrossed or driven around a track, only drag strip.

After that you go to the waiting area. If you signed up for it, an instructor will take you out in a Porsche Cayenne S around the track to give you a feel for the course.

And after that "Discover Lap," you will wait again to be called to drive the car you signed up for.

For the drive, each driver has an instructor in the passenger seat to kind of coach them around the track. There's cones set up and they'll tell you when to brake, when to turn, when to turn harder, when to go WOT, etc.

Here's the Gallardo I drove:

And the Scuderia:

My wife drove the Superleggera (which holds the track record currently):

My review of the drives from just a fun standpoint as I know nothing about proper racing:

The Gallardo was fun but not mind blowing. It felt quick in the straights and in the turns I never felt like I was reaching its grip limit. It is AWD mind you, so I may just not be familiar with how it feels at the limit. I never felt out of control in the car. It reminded me of the E92. It was luxury inside and had the performance.

The Scuderia, on the other hand, was a complete beast! It is basically a race ready F430 with a bump up in power. Carbon kevlar seats, no sound dampening, etc. This car was raw! Inside was much louder and the shifts were instant and VIOLENT! I loved that car. I took the Scuderia out after I took out the Gallardo, so I had a little more seat time to get comfortable on the track. I pushed the Scuderia harder and got the rear end to kick out exiting one turn because I started to accelerate too much too soon. If I went to Exotics Racing again, I would definitely drive the Scuderia again. That car is awesome!

The ride along in the Porsche GT3 RS is definitely worth it too. You get to experience how a pro driver puts the GT3 RS to work. It sounds awesome. I love that car too and wish we could opt to drive it, but you can't.

Note: All cars that participants can sign up to drive are paddle shifter or auto. No manuals.

I know I've made this post long so I will just leave it with more pictures.

Porsche GT3 RS

Ferrari 458 Italia

Nissan GT-R

Rest of the pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonynph...7626635716355/
      08-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Pictured strippers racing, I am disappoint.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
Pictured strippers racing, I am disappoint.

to the OP though, it sounds like it's well worth it. I know you have to schedule/book in advance and that's what bit me when I was out there. Realized it was an option too late
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Why would you go and NOT drive the best car they have? It's like walking into a brothel and buying the fat chick. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT, to pay to drive a car you most likely would never drive. R8 and P-car you might own one day, drive something you may not.
      08-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

It does get pretty pricey.. Planning to bring my pops to this in LV..

How long does each lap take on average? 1.1 miles i'm guessing ~2 minute? lol..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

Wow... the prices are much lower then i expected it. Well worth it when you think about it compared to how much it would cost if you bought a same car.

http://www.exoticsracing.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I've just never really been interested in the upper cars, I guess.

I was a bit concerned the cars might be BEAT after (relative) rookies driving them all the time, but those in the pictures look pretty nice still.

I could have sworn their demos showed some people with manuals. Right now the online booking nicludes the Cayenne 2 laps for free. Having a pro take me out in the GTR could be fun.

I'm going to Pechanga this weekend, guess I'll have to set a goal of "earning" a few extra laps
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

i enjoyed the event,

it gets HOT in the garage and on the track, try to go early.

If not, you can always do the inland empire one. its close and you can go often.

I think the LV track is better
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Meh.. look like they don't let you take it to the limit.

5 laps = 5 minutes.. wish it was longer
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
Mugen1516
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Corvette Grand Sport

You gotta remember there's a lot of first timers that go. You can let the instructor know that have track practice and they will accommodate you.
      08-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I had a great time!!! Was in the 8:30 group on Sat morning, got my laps in before the rain started.
Passed a Lambo on the 3rd lap, was about to take the Ferarri when the instructor mentioned "game over"
When I handed the thumb drive back to the video desk, my hands were shaking from the adrenalin rush. I definately improved in speed from lap 1 to 5.
Appreciate 0